Jump to content
North Side Baseball

Tryptamine

Old-Timey Member
  • Posts

    16,118
  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won

    23

 Content Type 

Profiles

Joomla Posts 1

Chicago Cubs Videos

Chicago Cubs Free Agent & Trade Rumors, Notes, & Tidbits

2026 Chicago Cubs Top Prospects Ranking

News

2023 Chicago Cubs Draft Picks

Guides & Resources

2024 Chicago Cubs Draft Picks

The Chicago Cubs Players Project

2025 Chicago Cubs Draft Pick Tracker

2026 Chicago Cubs Draft Tracker: Picks & Bonuses

Blogs

Events

Forums

Store

Gallery

Everything posted by Tryptamine

  1. If ARI was willing to pay him down a bit to where he was 4/100ish I'd absolutely love to have him, much more than whatever type of contract we'd have to give Darvish or Cueto in the offseason to land them.
  2. In that timeframe he has a 3.59 FIP and 4.07 xFIP, which is explained by a .219 (!) BABIP against. Santana is fine as a guy to give you innings and I always like AL to NL transitions, but I don't think there's another gear there. He's not someone you want starting a playoff game any more than the Lackeys and Hammels of the world. He's decent at everything but not excellent at anything. Look at the quality of contact. His SOFT% is way up and his HARD and MED% are both down. His LD% is down from 21.7% to 13.6% so it's no wonder his babip is so low when people aren't making good contact against him. What has led to the drastic increase in poor contact? I have no idea, but based on the huge increase in Pull% there has to be something.
  3. I think Ervin Santana is perfect for what we need right now. A guy to buy us time until FA 2018/2019 or a starter from or a starter from the farm emerges. He's closer to a frontline starter than a back of the rotation guy some of you refer to him as. Since July 1st 2016 Santana has posted a 2.21ERA over 150 2/3IP to go with a 3.59FIP. The Twins have Berrios ready to go and Fernando Romero not too far off as well so I can't imagine they're all that interested in hanging onto Santana if he can bring them a few nice pieces.
  4. It's starting to feel like that month or so stretch before the ASB last year. Hitters can't hit when the pitchers pitch, pitchers get rocked when the hitters hit. The only consistently good aspect of the team right now is the bullpen.
  5. Wow I was just getting bummed out he had no chance to slide to us at 27 and then this happens.
  6. What do you mean? He has to clear waivers in order to go back to AAA correct? I can't imagine someone wouldn't take a chance on him.
  7. He's going to get snatched up right away.
  8. Just watching gamecast, but has Rondon thrown any sliders for strikes? According to game cast he's missed 10+ in a row.
  9. I wouldn't mind going with Ervin Santana, depending on the cost. He's been absolutely killing it since the ASB in 2016.
  10. Volquez to the DL with blisters and Nola is getting an MRI after his back stiffened up again during a rehab session.
  11. Pace just sealed his fate and wasted an entire draft.
  12. That's a shame. He came back this year throwing 1.2mph harder than he's ever thrown and his peripherals were looking like 2013 Miller was back.
  13. Being able to stay hitting, whether it's DH or position on non-pitching days apparently is a big deal to him. No team should be stupid enough to offer that, by almost all accounts I've read he's a non-prospect, essentially, as a hitter. He's producing at a pretty high level with the bat, and non-prospect as a hitter is much harsher than I recall, but given the swing and miss and risk to his health as a pitcher, I don't think you'd see him as a 2 way player. It might take him time to realize it, but he would be ideal for this iteration of the Cubs roster, where he can basically help lengthen the pen and shorten the bench by being an early pinch hitter that's better than the Arrietas or Travis Woods of the world. I thought I had read that he was like 25-30%K guy in Japan, if so, he has no business doing anything than hitting on his start days.
  14. I enjoy that the article leads you to believe the Cardinals have their wave of prospects that's going to lead them to the promise land but forget to mention that the Cubs have another wave coming and they're all more highly regarded.
  15. It really would be great, because then you're going into 2018 looking like Lester,Hendricks,Mongomery,Butler and that open slot can be filled via FA. The Cubs would get to hang onto all of Eloy,Happ,Cease etc.
  16. I wonder what it would take to get a few months of Masahiro Tanaka? He has the option to opt out of the remaining 3/64 he has on his contract and the Yankees have been very clear that they don't intend to resign him when the time comes. I think he could be a reasonable stop gap for this season while the hole in FA.
  17. God I'd really love if Candelario could bring back Sean Reid-Foley. He should be not too far off come 2018, maybe ready to join the team after super 2 in mid July.
  18. the international pool bonus and the draft caps came in the same cba, implemented a few weeks after theo got hired. both came into play summer 2012 wasn't it a couple years after that they implimented the rule where you couldn't spend more than 300K on a player for 2 years if you went over budget by a certain amount? Anyways, you get my point.
  19. Unless the White Sox come down drastically on their rumored asking price (Francis Marte,Kyle Tucker and one of Musgrove/Paulino/Fischer/F.Perez/Whitley) then it's never going to happen. I think they're better off just promoting Marte at some point.
  20. I swear to god they make up these [expletive] rules to screw with Theo. He comes to the Cubs and suddenly the slotting system takes over making it so he can't grab throws wads of money at high ceiling prospects that other teams couldn't afford like he doing in Boston. So he decides he's going to go crazy on the international market instead. A year later all that international pool bonus nonsense starts. Now this stuff with Otani, where they just decide arbitrarily that players have to be 25 now instead of 23.
  21. Kind of surprised the ball getting stuck on Molina's chest protector from today's game isn't becoming a bigger story. One of two things is obviously happening; #1, the pitcher is adding something to the ball which is fine up to a point, but if he's adding so much that it's adhereing to a flat surface, then you're affecting the transfer of power from the bat to the ball. Option 2, Molina is putting sticky horsefeathers all over his chest protector to keep balls in front of him which should significantly tarnish his legacy as a so called defensive genius. I just find it strange that if a star player had a corked bat it would be all over the news, but with today's incident there's a few articles and mostly nothing besides.
  22. #37000, after 5 or 6 years of waiting. I'm going to be lucky if Rizzo hasn't retired before I even get a shot at tickets.
  23. Man, I really thought Skulina was a pretty safe bet to see time in the majors when he was drafted. Seemed like a guy who would move pretty quick.
  24. Apparently I'm the high one on Tyson Miller. I think there's a good amount of upside there.
×
×
  • Create New...