I feel like the Dodgers' needs are definitely more pitching related than bat. Even if they can resign Kershaw they're still going to have to go after an arm like Keuchel.
Losing 4 Years of Russell, for 1 year of Machado and then a 300+M FA contract in 2019, vs keeping 4 years of Russell and spending 350-400M on Harper. Pretty much a no brainer from my side.
Why do people hate having elite defense up the middle? Trading Russell is a defensive downgrade at SS and whoever replaces Baez at 2B is a downgrade there as well. You don't sign Chatwood and then weaken the infield defense like that.
I irrationally don't want to move Baez at all. I enjoy it far too much when other team's fans hate both Baez and Contreras for basically everything they do. It's nice to be on the positive end of that after so many years.
I think it's more that the Cubs want to get his deal done so they can move on, but Cobb wants to explore the market a little more. If reports are right he's getting more attention than any other FA starter left on the market.
With the Yankees in heavy on Cobb, I get the feeling that the days of hoping for 4/48 or even 4/60 are long gone and we're probably looking at something like 5/85 or 4/70 now.
So you figure if things go really well 2M on Rene Rivera,10M on Morrow, 8M on Reed, does that even leave enough to go after Cobb and still have Harper money next year?
I just hope Theo and crew is completely thorough on all the Japanese customs. It would make a very positive impression if they were able to get through a dinner properly and avoided all the little snafus that most people don't know about. Drinking procedure included. Just for example, in Japan the number 4 is bad luck because it spelled "Shi" and to die in Japanese is "Shinu". Most buildings will skip the 4th floor etc.
Would be thrilled to land Smyly on a minor league deal just in case his arm ever stays in one piece. I can't believe Chi Chi is already getting DFA'd. He's like 2 years off a top 100 listing.
Orioles are supposedly after Almora. I put very little stock in this but it's slow. Anyways, outside of Gausman/Bundy there is no one I'd feel good about trading Almora for. http://www.12up.com/posts/5822867-report-orioles-express-interest-in-young-cubs-star?a_aid=40920
Jay Jackson, one of my favorites when I first started really paying attention to the system. I was so sure that Jay was going to be a monster and Tony Thomas was going to be our 2B for years to come.
If I had the ability to change one rule in MLB it would be this one. It's a very large advantage for team's like BAL and STL who basically carry top 10 payrolls as it is.