North Side Baseball

I think Lou won't feel comfortable without a backup 3B on the roster. After looking at the players that might be available as back up 3B/1B/pinch hitter, I came up with these names:

Wigginton- best choice, but probably not available

Garciaparra

Helms

Keppinger - might not be available because of division rivalry

Ensberg

Belliard

Aurillia

I'm sure most of us aren't too excited about some of those names, but I think Lou would feel better with a veteran coming off the bench.

I think Lou won't feel comfortable without a backup 3B on the roster. After looking at the players that might be available as back up 3B/1B/pinch hitter, I came up with these names:

Garciaparra

Helms

Ensberg

Belliard

Aurillia

I'm sure most of us aren't too excited about some of those names, but I think Lou would feel better with a veteran coming off the bench.

Mark Loretta is also an option.

Garciaparra

Helms

Ensberg

Belliard

Aurillia

Jeff Baker from Colorado?

With the numbers crunch in the bullpen, maybe Gaudin can be used to acquire one of the better options listed above.

Garciaparra

Helms

Ensberg

Belliard

Aurillia

With the numbers crunch in the bullpen, maybe Gaudin can be used to acquire one of the better options listed above.

Keppinger is the only oen of these guys who doesnt make me throw up in my mouth just a bit when I think of them in a Cubs uniform, and I dont see any reason for the Reds, like you said, a division rival to send him to us so we can bench him.

Garciaparra

Helms

Ensberg

Belliard

Aurillia

Wigginton would be my favorite from the list, but he signed with the Orioles in February. Nomar and Ensberg are also already signed.

Of the guys left, Helms has posted OPS+s of 68 and 70 the past two years and Jeff Keppinger had an OPS+ of 70 last year (though 123 before that) and he'd likely be too highly priced to acquire within the division.

Belliard might be the most attractive target, for what it's worth. He posted a 120 and 100 OPS+ the last two years and is the only guy on the list (that's available) who slugged over .400 and had an OBP over .350 last year. I wouldn't really mind him at all if we got him cheaply.

Aurilia isn't anything special, but with a .413 SLG last year he might provide a little pop off the bench. I wouldn't give him much though.

Garciaparra

Helms

Ensberg

Belliard

Aurillia

Keppinger is the only oen of these guys who doesnt make me throw up in my mouth just a bit when I think of them in a Cubs uniform, and I dont see any reason for the Reds, like you said, a division rival to send him to us so we can bench him.

As I said in my initial post, very few of these guys are players to get excited about, but most of them would make the team and the bench deeper. I think the Cubs are at the point of just needing to "fine tune" to make sure they remain the favorites in the NL.

Garciaparra

Helms

Ensberg

Belliard

Aurillia

Keppinger is the only oen of these guys who doesnt make me throw up in my mouth just a bit when I think of them in a Cubs uniform, and I don't see any reason for the Reds, like you said, a division rival to send him to us so we can bench him.

Actually, Keppinger should make you throw up full throttle. Not that I think Nomar or Wiggs are available, but it what universe are they lesser players than Keppinger?

Garciaparra

Helms

Ensberg

Belliard

Aurillia

Keppinger is the only oen of these guys who doesnt make me throw up in my mouth just a bit when I think of them in a Cubs uniform, and I don't see any reason for the Reds, like you said, a division rival to send him to us so we can bench him.

Actually, Keppinger should make you throw up full throttle. Not that I think Nomar or Wiggs are available, but it what universe are they lesser players than Keppinger?

In the universe that Wiggington isnt worth what hed cost as a back up and Nomar will play 15 games.

Wiggington would be a nice option around the waiver deadline when the O's are long since eliminated from contention.

I must have missed Belliard on that list, who could actually be the ideal option as a backup. If Im not mistaken , he can play 2B, 3B, and SS, and has a decent bat for a backup middle infielder. Actually, if Fontenot ends up flopping, Id take him as a starter, or at least a platoon, certainly over Miles.