Jump to content
North Side Baseball

PackLandVA

Old-Timey Member
  • Posts

    4,477
  • Joined

  • Last visited

 Content Type 

Profiles

Joomla Posts 1

Chicago Cubs Videos

Chicago Cubs Free Agent & Trade Rumors, Notes, & Tidbits

2026 Chicago Cubs Top Prospects Ranking

News

2023 Chicago Cubs Draft Picks

Guides & Resources

2024 Chicago Cubs Draft Picks

The Chicago Cubs Players Project

2025 Chicago Cubs Draft Pick Tracker

2026 Chicago Cubs Draft Tracker: Picks & Bonuses

Blogs

Events

Forums

Store

Gallery

Everything posted by PackLandVA

  1. This was the worst team in the NL last year. Does adding Soriano suddenly make the Cubs "a winner?" John Wooden said, "Don't mistake activity for achievement." No, Soriano doesn't make the Cubs a winner. But inactivity, like last year, proved to make them a team without depth, and consequently, a loser. Had they stopped after signing ARam, I'd agree that one player will not make them a winner. But they didn't. In addition to adding a mangager that I think can do a better job than Dusty, they went and got other players. Soriano should be another bat that they clearly needed after last season. And there's no indication they'll stop after the Soriano deal. I don't kow how good the team is gonna be, there's still plenty of holes, mostly in pitching. But I like that they're trying to do something that appears positive (at least to me).
  2. Last year, many fans were up in arms about Hendry's inability to bolster the club. About the only good thing regarding his inactivity in the off-season was that it pretty much sealed Dusty's fate as the Cubs manager beyong 2006. I don't know if theese moves are gonna make the impact i want it to or not. As of now, though, I'm glad Hendry is sticking to his word of being a major player in the off-season. History will tell if these signings are any good or not.
  3. As a Cubs fan, my yealry baseball quote...unfortunately: Wait 'til next year.
  4. I really don't know the answer to this. But I'm sure it would cause him to miss at least a couple of starts because of it.
  5. I believe it's "dictated" strategy that few managers will shy away from for fear of it backfiring. It's the same reason managers no longer will bring the stud closer on in the 8th. Years agao, it wasn't uncommon for a reliever like Bruce Sutter to pitch 2+ innings. But nowadays, the reliever is almost never brought in until the 9th. Sometimes you need to coach "outside" the box!
  6. Those NL East teams can't ALL keep winning. They'll continue to play each other through the end of September. And I think there is no clear cut favorite. They'll all beat up on one another without anyone separating. So if the Cubs can put together a hot streak to close the last 6 weeks, its very realistic they could hop over all of those teams. Houston not only won a bunch of games last year, but they jumped over 5 teams the last month, and just one team in their division (the Cubs :evil: ).
  7. How prophetic was that thread title? Only one dinger allowed, but hit a plenty off him the entire outing! Ouch!
  8. Since those players being placed on waivers doesn't seem to be common knowledge, my question is this: Is it more known when a player(s) is claimed and subsequently pulled back? Or is this information generally guarded as well?
  9. I loved Stone as the Cubs color guy in the booth. He's incredibly knowledgeable. But I have to say, I'm really tired of the whole Cubs/Stone/Baker saga. Give it a rest Stoney. Your smarter at baseball than Dusty. Must you keep reminding everyone? Let's talk about something else rarely broght up in the national media. How about Bartman? :roll:
  10. With 46 games remaining last year, the Astros were 4 games under .500 . They ended up going 36-10 and jumped over 5 teams to win the Wild Card. How many games under .500 are the Cubs? And how many do they have left? A sweep is not necessary. Winning the series would be really good. They still have 7 left with Houston after this series. And the other WC teams from the East will be beating each other up until October! The Cubs need to pick up a game each week the rest of the year heading into the final weekend.
  11. I don't know what JoBo's velocity right now is. And he wasn't much this season with the Cubs. But he's tearing it up in Tampa. Here's his numbers so far: 15.1 innings, 6 hits, 4 BB, 7 K, 0 runs allowed, Opp BA .120 Had he pitched even remotely close to this with the Cubs, he'd still be on the roster. Hindsight is 20/20.
  12. You can't really blame Macias for Hendry giving him a roster spot or Dusty mis-using him. He been a good 25th player for the Cubs this year.
  13. Yep, sure can. But not when he's coaching the team with the highest payroll in the league (including Sosa's money). And you're kidding yourself if you think this is the 1 bad year. Last Sept was absolutely dispicable. Dusty clearly lost control of his team. The Cubs have been in the top 3 in payroll in the NL for all his 3 years, and they got 1 playoff berth, with a mediocre 88 wins. Regardless of the wins/losses, Dusty has lost complete control. The team was fighting with their own broadcasters, leaving early, quit on him. This year, the team has had several spans of horrible baseball. Point is, he hasn't done what he was brought in here to do. He wasn't a good fit then, he's not a good fit now. Using this line of thinking, I suppose Joe Torre should have been fired already. A payroll far and above every other team in baseball, a roster full of All-Stars, the ability to land just about any player in the offseason and during the regular season, the "Choke of All Ages" last year against their chief rival and amazingly inconsistent play for the better part of this season. Joe Torre has a handful of World Series rings. He gets a mulligan. Right...2001. What about 2002, 2003 and 2004?
  14. Yep, sure can. But not when he's coaching the team with the highest payroll in the league (including Sosa's money). And you're kidding yourself if you think this is the 1 bad year. Last Sept was absolutely dispicable. Dusty clearly lost control of his team. The Cubs have been in the top 3 in payroll in the NL for all his 3 years, and they got 1 playoff berth, with a mediocre 88 wins. Regardless of the wins/losses, Dusty has lost complete control. The team was fighting with their own broadcasters, leaving early, quit on him. This year, the team has had several spans of horrible baseball. Point is, he hasn't done what he was brought in here to do. He wasn't a good fit then, he's not a good fit now. Using this line of thinking, I suppose Joe Torre should have been fired already. A payroll far and above every other team in baseball, a roster full of All-Stars, the ability to land just about any player in the offseason and during the regular season, the "Choke of All Ages" last year against their chief rival and amazingly inconsistent play for the better part of this season.
  15. He's got decent career numbers at Wrigley, Busch and MMP; also has decent career numbers against Houston and St. Louis. Could be a worthy number 5 starter (next year) if he doesn't cost much (salary). Probably best to take a pass on him, though.
  16. He's been pretty consistent in landing himself on the DL.
  17. Not necessarily. I'm not a doctor (nor play one on tv), but there are some injuries that require surgery that don't neccesarily worsen from use (unless it's overuse). Now it makes sense that a damaged shoulder would worsen from use. But if it is a pitch count thing, maybe it doesn't become inflamed until a higher count. And as long as he's not being 'over-used', then he's okay to go. I'll give the professional doctors the benefit of the doubt. What I would like to know, though, is how delaying surgery a month or two will affect his recovery. Obviously it pushes it back a month or two. But does anyone know the projected recovery for the surgery Wood is expecting. I mean, should we already start the thread about KW missing Spring starts "while he's still recovering from offseason....." If that's the case, DL him now, get the surgery over with and start the recovery ASAP so he's ready for Spring!!
  18. Anybody think Maddux would actually hang 'em up after tthis season, even if he reached the option for next year. I mean, he's gotta recognize he's not nearly the pitcher he's been even a few years ago. And he seems destined to have his 15+ wins streak end this season. He seems like a classy guy. Does he want to stay around and pitch well under his career abilities? I wouldn't be shocked if he retired. Not saying he will....just that it wouldn't surprise me. If not, I'll take him with the big salary. The Cubs offered it in order to get him. He accepted. So pay him, and hopefully he can continue to help the younger pitchers (assuming he currently is).
  19. Torre was a pretty poor manager (with 2 teams) until he inherited a World Series Team, and continued managing that team with highest payroll in baseball year in and year out (by a lot). It could be debated that he has actually not been that great of a manger for the Yankees, considering what they haven't accomplished the past 4 years.
  20. Lawton............LF/RF Walker............2B Lee.................1B Ramirez..........3B Burnitz............RF/CF Garciaparra.....SS Barrett.............C Hairston/Murton..CF/LF Pitcher's Spot I'd still give Murton some starts in LF. And when that happens, I'd move Lawton to RF and Burnitz to CF. Also, I'd flip Murton and Barrett in the batting order. By having JHJ dropped down, there's a decent OBP player to try and turn the order over to the top.
  21. When Hairston plays: Lawton......LF Hairston....CF Burnitz......RF When Murton plays: Murton......LF Burnitz......CF Lawton......RF
  22. Regardless of how much Dusty loves Perez, doesn't he only come back if Hendry decides to offer him a contract? It is Hendry, after all, that puts together the roster. It's up to Dusty to use (or misuse) the players he's given.
  23. Sorry...didn't know I was only allowed to respond to posts directed to me. I thought since you chimed in on a posts between two other posters, I was free to as well. My bad. :roll: As far as attitude, if you read that in my post, that's your problem. I reread the posts that are quoted and didn't understand the connection between what "reggierules" and "jon" were discussing and you mentioning Cardinal players. Especially since the game being discussed didn't even involve the Cards. Didn't realize "What is that supposed to mean?" had attitude written all over it. I agree, not doubting that. First of all, I did see the game. And my opinion is that it easily could've been called a strike. I watched the game from the bottom of the 6th inning on, so I can't comment on the ump's inconsistent strike zone. But that pitch wasn't three or four inches outside. That pitch was close enough to be a strike. And Holly kept the bat on his shoulder with two strikes. And your Cardinal comment is comical. Because I disagree with you and "99.9% of the people who saw the game" that it was a ball, I must be a Cardinal fan? Please. Grow up. :roll: That's a stupid insinuation, it really is. I'm as much of a Cubs fan as anyone on this board. They're entitled to their opinions. I thought I was too. Do you call them "Cardinal fans" when they disagree with you, too?? And most baseball people will tell you that with two strikes, you've gotta protect the plate. And that means sometimes swinging at borderline pitches. And if the ump was as inconsistent as you and others say, Holly should've recognized this and altered his plate approach. By the way, Holly has struck out in 7 of his last 8 ABs. That should tell people how well he's seeing the ball.
  24. When you're hitting .206 in a month and your team is down by a run in the 9th, you need to take what the pitcher gives you. It was a slow pitch that missed the zone by about two inches and both the batter and the umpire had a clear look at it. Dowdy was just terribly inconsistent (and terrible) behind the plate for both teams today. I agree, I do think the he was inconsistent today. But this looked like a really good pitch that Hollandsworth was not expecting to get on a 3-2 count. That said you cant watch a pitch anywhere near as close to that wiht 2 strikes. Especially if you know the ump has been inconsistent all day. answer honestly... is that called strike three on Jim Edmonds? for that matter, is that called strike three on John Mabry? for that matter, has that been called a strike on any Cardinal in your memory? What is that supposed to mean? :head scratch: By the way, for those who want to argue whether or not it was a strike......anyone noticed Hollandsworth didn't take the bat off his shoulder once during the AB. Maybe that gives a little insight on his approach to the AB, and whether or not he was fooled by the pitch.
  25. The pitch to Holly looked good to me on the overhead replay. Looked like it caught the corner. Way to good to take.
×
×
  • Create New...