Jump to content
North Side Baseball

PackLandVA

Old-Timey Member
  • Posts

    4,477
  • Joined

  • Last visited

 Content Type 

Profiles

Joomla Posts 1

Chicago Cubs Videos

Chicago Cubs Free Agent & Trade Rumors, Notes, & Tidbits

2026 Chicago Cubs Top Prospects Ranking

News

2023 Chicago Cubs Draft Picks

Guides & Resources

2024 Chicago Cubs Draft Picks

The Chicago Cubs Players Project

2025 Chicago Cubs Draft Pick Tracker

2026 Chicago Cubs Draft Tracker: Picks & Bonuses

Blogs

Events

Forums

Store

Gallery

Everything posted by PackLandVA

  1. Yes. With a big lead, I think pitchers in general are more likely to go after hitters, throw strikes, not nibble. With men on base, the pitcher is less likely to be concerned about a run or two scoring as opposed to getting outs. Example A: Cubs up 8-1 in the 7th inning. Opposing team has men on 2nd and 3rd with one out. Pitcher not really concerned about the men on base as he is about the hitter. Any type of out works, regardless of a run scoring or not. Play for outs in hopes of not giving up a big inning. Example B: Cubs up 2-1 in the 7th inning. Opposing team has men on 2nd and 3rd with one out. Pitcher may pitch around the batter setting up DP, look for a K, etc. Pitcher concentrating on not allowing a run to score. I think giving up a run or two in example A (which will increase the pitcher's ERA) is far less important than giving up a run or two in exampe B. Both have the same effect on an ERA, but one scenario has a much greater impact on the game.
  2. Well maybe "ERA" isn't the correct term. Basically a stat that shows the # of runners inherited a reliever allows to score. I guess instead of "ERA", it could be a "% Inherited Runners Scored". Of course, then there's the scenario of allowing runners not to score, but rather, allowing them to move up a base and being in better scoring position for the next pitcher.
  3. I fixed it: Inherited Runner ERA
  4. I don't know if these types of statistics are kept or not, but I'd like to see them discussed more often: Inherited Runners ERA - for relievers "1-out" Saves, "2-out" Saves....all the way to "2-Inning" Saves - saves can be such a 'fraud' statistic "Saves when leading by 1, 2 or 3 Runs" ERA for Starters when team is leading by 5+ runs - I would think sometimes a starter would pitch more freely in game when his team has a big lead. Any comments or other stats not kept you'd like to see?
  5. While one can never really be certain from one year to th next if the window of opportunity is opening or closing, I believe the Cubs better days are in front of them. Their impact players (Soriano, Lee, Ramirez) are all in the prime of their careers. They have a pretty decent rotation that has plenty of upside in Hill and Marshall. And they have some good youth in Pie, Therot, Pagan and Fontenot. If the Cubs believe they can and will re-sign Zambrano, then I would not be that upset if "significant" move(s) were NOT made by July 31. While they've been playing well of late, I don't want them "breaking the bank" because the might get to 87-89 wins and have a shot in the playoffs. That's the impetuous line of thinking the Cubs are so famous for doing in the past (remember Matt Karchner and his impact). I think this team (even in its current state) can be better next year than this year. I'd rather the Cubs stand pat as opposed to making some desperation move that might pay off this year but come back to haunt them in the future.
  6. Barring a trade there isn't a starting spot available. That ship has sailed. A different bullpen role, maybe. Barring a trade, or injury, and all things considered, an injury is a relatively good bet. I still fear Dempster could become the go to guy if/when Marshall goes down. Any possibilty the Cubs trade Dempster to a team that would want to convert him to a starter by the start of next year?
  7. I would rather his arm/shoulder get a nice little vacation. I would also like to him to get a chip on his shoulder by not being voted in or picked by the manager. Big Z - Show the league you're one of the best starters in the game and dominate the entire second half!!
  8. Does anyone else think he has a herky-jerk delivery? He can throw the ball hard with movement and has a great off-speed pitch. But he doesn't look very fluid.
  9. Didn't like the arm/hand waggle at the end of the game today. But I loved the results. He should have had 6 up, 6 down in his two innings of work. The kid shows great promise! http://timesfour.com/x4graemlins/icon_headbanger.gif
  10. Isn't having him under contract for a few years much more attractive to a pursuing team as opposed to having him be available for FA at season's end. I think the Sox want to sign him in the event they don't get a "can't refuse" offer. Then at least he's there next year. And if they continue to suck next year and really need to rebuild/retool, he again can be thrown out there for any willing suitors.
  11. Start a new win streak - tomorrow!
  12. With the BP short as it is, the starters not going very deep lately and a day off not until Thursday, does Marquis get forced to pitch tomorrow a minimum number of innings despite the way the game is going?? It happened twice last year where he had to go into the 5th despite given up 12 and 13 runs to the White Sox and Braves....all because of a short BP. That will suck. Maybe we can get a solid outing from him, but it doesn't look like the Brewers have any desire to stop hitting. Yesterday's heart-breaker doesn't seem to have much of an effect.
  13. Thanks Raisin. Is he projected to be a possibility to pitch in the Majors any time this year? Or will rehab take him to 2008?
  14. Sorry if this has been discussed recently, but the search function is not available. Why is this guy in Boise (A Ball)? Is he coming off an injury? I noticed he's still on the 40-man roster.
  15. I would think Izzy is more likely to go than JJ. With Cedeno as a true SS, they have a little depth in the minors with MLB experience. And he's 20 for 45 in his last 10 games. I'd see if there are any takers for Izzy, bring up a pitcher, maybe Cherry again, and see if a trade for JJ can be worked out. If SS becomes an issue sooner than later, bring up Cedeno.
  16. While it's great they're showing their disapproval for management, I highly doubt it has any real impact! Link to Article By the way, is "Bob Walk Bobblehead Night" really a fan draw?!?!?!? No wonder no one shows up for the games!!
  17. I think I'd wait to see how Marshall does tomorrow. A strong outing by him and some good offense by the Cubs bats may make it a moot point. If Marshall can go 7, I think they should be able to finish off the game with the pen without taxing it. Marmol and Howry could pitch tomorrow if needed. And since they all were off on Thursday, I'd even say Petrick and Wuertz could go if needed. The key will be Marshall because the way Marquis has been pitching, they'll likely go to the pen early on Sunday.
  18. Sheets started his career 5-0 against the Cubs. He has since gone 2-7 and is 3-4 overall at Wrigley. His Wrigley ERA is in the 4's, I believe. They can beat him tomorrow. But they'll need to keep the Brewers offense down, as well!
  19. I saw today an article in one of the very small local papers that he put his home up for sale here in Chicago. Apparently, it's a pretty small home, very old (100+ years) and only about 1500 square feet. Of course, he still has the 7500 square foot home outside of Phoenix. I can't decide if the Cubs should just completely cut ties with him, or if they should try to get him to sign another low contract. I would love to see him be able to contribute for the Cubs one day. Pipe dream, maybe.
  20. I learned my lesson about posting "in game" back in '94. I had Tuffy Rhodes roaming the Wrigley outfield for at least a decade!! :oops:
  21. "Is he for real" and "Is this the real Fontenot" have two completly different meanings. I don't think anyone believes this is the real Fontenot batt near or over .400. However, I think Fontenot can be for real in a sense that he can be a very solid MLB player. Just my interpretation.
  22. Did you ever consider some of the posters here don't get on daily or even weekly to know this was discussed a while back? And with as much volume there is on this board, it's rather difficult to read several pages of topics with many threads approaching 100 or more entries. You certainly weren't required to read this thread or even post a reply for that matter. But thanks for the input.
  23. Actually, their attitudes didn't change that much. Instead of saying they were wrong and the umps were right, Hawk when on a tirade about how Ed Rapuano should've immediately called the play dead at the time of the obstruction. He harped about this over and over. He even mention the supervisory ump (Garcia?) sending a note to the press box stating the play should of been called dead at the time of the obstruction. Again wrong! Hey Hawk - Strike Two!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
×
×
  • Create New...