Jump to content
North Side Baseball

jersey cubs fan

Old-Timey Member
  • Posts

    68,098
  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won

    64

 Content Type 

Profiles

Joomla Posts 1

Chicago Cubs Videos

Chicago Cubs Free Agent & Trade Rumors, Notes, & Tidbits

2026 Chicago Cubs Top Prospects Ranking

News

2023 Chicago Cubs Draft Picks

Guides & Resources

2024 Chicago Cubs Draft Picks

The Chicago Cubs Players Project

2025 Chicago Cubs Draft Pick Tracker

2026 Chicago Cubs Draft Tracker: Picks & Bonuses

Blogs

Events

Forums

Store

Gallery

Everything posted by jersey cubs fan

  1. Right now the Knicks are 9th from the bottom. But with 4 games remaining they could end up as low as 5th from the bottom. What kind of odds do they have for the 5th-9th slots?
  2. Hey, with the bad shape of the big market eastern teams, Stern might be desperate to get at least one great team with marketable stars. You never know.
  3. The nonsense about lacking the team speed pisses me off. Shut up and play the game and quit whining about the weather. The Cubs have as many players with wheels as any team. They don't have anymore lugs than Houston does.
  4. there's no reason to throw out a contact lineup. The Cubs don't need anymore groundouts. They need some bobbing and they need some patience. They also need to finally learn how to hit crappy lefthanders. For all the consternation about the RH heavy lineup, the Cubs biggest problem the past few years is a lack of guys who can hit lefties. They suck against them.
  5. Does anybody else have a problem with the commish basically retroactively punishing guys under new guidelines? I like the crackdown, but if this is the new policy, I'm not sure it can be justified to punish actions that took place last year. I also don't think these suspensions will hold up under appeal. The union would have a great case to cut these down significantly.
  6. I'd be all for a 4th round, but I'm not sure if the consesus would agree. The original plan was for just three rounds anyway. I wasn't aware there was such an agreement. I say we institute a shot clock for the later rounds in case people drop out. nothing crazy though.
  7. Ian Scott hasn't officially signed elsewhere has he? I'm not too concerned about Dusty's health, I'm fairly certain he would have been healthy enough to play last season if they didn't choose to IR him - which made sense given the depth. Harris is a little more bothersome.
  8. Fine, he might have pitched into the 6th, but there's no way to guarantee it would have been scoreless. You can't just assume a scoreless inning trend will continue, especially with a bad pitcher on the mound.
  9. Probably true. The Cubs have just 4 HR this year and have given up 9. But they are also struggling with OBP. It's .313 overall, and sub .300 in each of the past 3 games.
  10. He didn't go 6 or 7. You can't just credit him for something he didn't accomplish. He contributed to the defensive problems that prolonged his outing.
  11. How? 1.60 WHIP 5.40 ERA That's flat out terrible. This doesn't tell the whole story. He was fine after the first inning. If the Cubs had scored runs, while he was in the game, and played error-free ball, he wouldn't have been lifted for a pinch hitter. He did walk a few people but I don't think any of those scored. The errors probably robbed him of at least one more inning of work (maybe two). There's no guarantee those innings would have been run free. I'm not saying that tells the whole story, but it tells enough of the story to debunk the myth that he did a good job. He recovered from his own crap start, but that doesn't negate what he did earlier.
  12. It's pretty disingenuous to compare complaining about this game with complaining about anything shy of a perfect game (several people did this). It's pretty disingenuous to pretend those three first inning runs were related to the defense instead of Marquis's not goodness. Yes, Marquis had a bad game, no it's not the end of the world, yes the errors cost him, no it's not all on the errors, yes if the offense had done better earlier in the game it might have changed strategies and had a different result.... we could go on forever. We all would have liked a better performance from him, but it's not ALL his fault as some people seem to be atributing it to. I don't see anybody saying it was all his fault. I've been the most vocal critic of him in this thread, and I've repeatedly said it was Marquis, Izturis and the lineup collectively. Multiple people have tried to absolve Marquis of any responsibility.
  13. Yeah, he had a nice outing last time. I don't recall everything, but I don't think he walked more than 1 and gave up less than a runner an inning. If he were to do that all year I'd be ecstatic. If he does what he did today all year I'll be pissed. If he's in between, that'll be fine. But he can't walk more than he strikes out and he can't average less than 6 IP if he wants to have a decent season.
  14. It's pretty disingenuous to compare complaining about this game with complaining about anything shy of a perfect game (several people did this). It's pretty disingenuous to pretend those three first inning runs were related to the defense instead of Marquis's not goodness.
  15. ugly forecast for the game. I hope they get it in and win, I don't want to wait for Friday to see a home victory.
  16. Seriously. If Marquis pitches like he did today all year, I bet a lot of us would be more than happy with that. Before we get carried away with the Marquis love, he had a 1.6 WHIP and 5.40 ERA today. If he pitches like that the rest of the year I'll be pissed. He can't walk as many as he did today, but I'll take 5 innings of four-hit ball every time. Just do a better job of spreading the 4 hits around, and never let Izturis play ever again. Since the majority of his "value" is in his ability to rack up 200 innings, I'd think 6 inning would be the minimum. 5 every time will kill the bullpen.
  17. Whawhawha, negative negative negative. Please. In the long run, I'd be pleasantly surprised with a sub 4.50 ERA type season out of Marquis. On a game to game basis, it's hard to say. But when you give up 3 runs in the first, and end up with his line, you haven't come close to being good. Just because he's sucked in the past is no reason to excuse sucking in the present.
  18. I don't know a pitcher out there who can throw up a 5 IP, 4 R, 3 ER, 1.60 WHIP game and be considered to have done his part.
  19. I'm seeing people say he was good and carries no blame.
  20. 5.40 ERA 1.60 WHIP I guess people think that's good around here. Compared to last year, its probably good. We were in the game today. That's about all you can ask a guy like Marquis. That much is probably true. It's all you can reasonably expect. That doesnt' make it anywhere close to a good outing.
  21. Since when is that the determinant of a good outing? If the Cubs scored 7 and he gave up 9, would that be good enough?
  22. But that doesn't affect those stats. You can't give up 3 earned runs in the first and pretend to not share in the blame of a loss. Sure, but it wasn't a poor outing. No, it wasn't poor, it was terrible. cool, so anyone who doesn't pitch complete game shutouts is terrible? Just so I know so we can move forward That's a freaking stupid thing to write. Just stupid. There's a very big difference between 5 IP, 4 R, 3 ER and a 1.60 WHIP and a complete game shutout. Don't respond with that nonsense.
  23. But that doesn't affect those stats. You can't give up 3 earned runs in the first and pretend to not share in the blame of a loss. Sure, but it wasn't a poor outing. No, it wasn't poor, it was terrible. So giving up 3 ER's is terrible? Sure. 5.40 ERA 1.60 WHIP Why is this so hard to understand?
  24. 5.40 ERA 1.60 WHIP I guess people think that's good around here.
  25. But that doesn't affect those stats. You can't give up 3 earned runs in the first and pretend to not share in the blame of a loss. Share the blame, but I've often heard (wouldn't know first hand) that pitching is a mentality as much as a physicality. You start questioning the defense behind you and you start over throwing and doing too much and look out. I'm not saying that it did happen that way, but it's possible. He was bad before the defense, and he contributed to the bad defense.
×
×
  • Create New...