Jump to content
North Side Baseball

jersey cubs fan

Old-Timey Member
  • Posts

    68,100
  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won

    64

 Content Type 

Profiles

Joomla Posts 1

Chicago Cubs Videos

Chicago Cubs Free Agent & Trade Rumors, Notes, & Tidbits

2026 Chicago Cubs Top Prospects Ranking

News

2023 Chicago Cubs Draft Picks

Guides & Resources

2024 Chicago Cubs Draft Picks

The Chicago Cubs Players Project

2025 Chicago Cubs Draft Pick Tracker

2026 Chicago Cubs Draft Tracker: Picks & Bonuses

Blogs

Events

Forums

Store

Gallery

Everything posted by jersey cubs fan

  1. First off, I think you have to wonder who the Cubs have that he'd be interested in. What type of prospects do they have that have been putting up solid minor league numbers at age appropriate levels. I imagine Beane also would be looking for somebody who could throw him some solid innings in 2008, because while it's fine to go young and play for the future, you don't want to get into a situation where 8 or 9 guys are needed to fill out the rotation over the year. Guys like Gallagher, Hart, Marshall, Cedeno, Patterson and Wuertz might be of interest to Beane. I'm not sure Murton, who is a year off from making arbitration money, is somebody he would like, unless he feels he can turn around and trade Matt in a year for significantly more than he paid for him. Given how the Cubs seem to be undervaluing Murton, that may be possible. It's possible Beane could hold some value in a guy like Chirinos. What are Matt Craig and Jake Fox's status? Neither is a blue chipper, but both may be able to put up decent major league numbers for a bit of time (and therefore possibly increase their trade value down the line). Kevin Hart and Mark Holliman may be of interest. I also wonder if he'd have any interest in Kyler Burke.
  2. http://www.winterjade.com/delectation/archives/delectation/102204.ppq.04-thumb.jpg or http://www.bunrab.com/dailyfeed/dailyfeed_images_jan-07/df07_01-08_steak.jpg
  3. He may not have to. If the Cubs like what they see in ST, they could try and work out a deal with the Twins. It it comes down to that, hopefully we do a better job than the last time we were faced with this type of situation. IIRC, we ended up coughing up Eric Hinske to Billy Beane for a guy that ended up doing nothing for us. Didn't they trade Hinske for Cairo?
  4. I doubt Billy Beane much cares what type of pitcher BA thinks a guy will be.
  5. It seems to me like he was most interested in good prospects who were not going to be making arbitration money until a few years after the opening of the new stadium. He seemed to target guys who weren't necessarily "major league ready", which indicates to me he believes the market for major league ready prospects is overvalued. In other words, a B- prospect whom everybody believes can pitch in the majors next year may be valued at X. And he's going to make the major league minimum today, plus start his option/arbitration clocks. While a B+ prospect whom everybody believes is a year away may be valued at X-Y, so he'd rather take the slightly better guy who is a little further away and likely to cost significantly less over the next 4-5 years.
  6. I don't understand the thinking behind not letting him hit #3 because he's new but letting him hit 2 or 4.
  7. They are tanking 2008, and looking at back to back top 12 draft picks as they head to their new stadium. I wonder if the owners will have any interest in paying for that top talent, or if they are going to have to only go after signable guys.
  8. You can't wait, but you aren't going anyway? What can't you wait for?
  9. I'm more interested in the OBP and OPS+ anyway, which suggests the guy is very good and worthy of a 3 B prospects. None of those guys was close to contributing to the White Sox. It wasn't Pie, Soto and Gallagher. It's lower level pitching prospects and a bat that hasn't done much. I wouldn't mind (as long as the team stood a reasonable chance to contend now).
  10. All well and good, but unless he's gonna break his arm and spend the season on the DL, picking him was pointless if he won't be effective for a few more years. If he spends the season on the DL, he'd just have to stick with the big league squad next season. If you can stash a player away on your roster and he turns into something good, I don't see how it's pointless. I think the point was the Cubs can't stash a guy who might become effective in a few years. Could be decent in a few years suggests he will suck in the meantime. Unless you don't mind losing 80-90 games, or have a great enough staff that one hack at the back isn't an issue, you can't really hide stiffs for a year. The guy has to be useful immediately, or get injured and then be useful immediately after that, in order for the Cubs to keep him.
  11. For a while there, Hendry was on the same plan. Not to the level that St. Louis has in the last 2 years. In comparison, Hendry only dabbled in the rehab game. His preferred form of acquisition was the generic, overpay mediocre free agents thing.
  12. Duncan likes his journeyman rehab projects.
  13. are you serious? why? On one hand, the structure of MLB, combined with the financial advantage the Cubs have over the competition, should allow them to maintain a contending team year in and year out. On the other hand, the absurd contracts Jim Hendry has handed out could lead to serious trouble in a couple of years. I think they have a windown in 2008/2009, but I think they can reopen one right after that one closes, if the new owner hires smart people to run the baseball team.
  14. It looks like Billy got some especially young guys without any service time, which I'm guessing he valued in part of this trade.
  15. Nice get by White Sox. But I wonder what Oakland got in return. I have to guess Kenny had to give up a lot, desperate for major league caliber OF help. Oakland must be playing for 2010 and beyond right now.
  16. As the VP of minor league personel (or something like that), I think he qualifies as an executive. And I'd say that would be meaningfuly. Not necessarily bad either.
  17. If it's an executive, whose affiliation with the Cubs was due to Tribune ownership, I don't care. If it's somebody who matters in the baseball operations side, I do.
  18. He already left once the Trib went private.
  19. Yay, the more the merrier. Although I assume it'll be somebody like Crane Kenney going to greener pastures.
  20. totally agree
  21. I doubt it. A Roger Clemens fan interviewing Rogers Clemens, with his lawyers likely writing out all the questions.
  22. Eh, it's an interesting idea but I don't know if I'd really care if there was no ultimate championship to root for. Yay, you won the Big 10. Here's your trophy, go home. Then everyone would be arguing ad infinitum: the Big 10 sucks anyway! Who cares if you won it, you'd never beat the other conference champs! And yada yada. I don't see it solving much, just creates a whole bunch of hypothetical arguments that would never cease. Not to mention that's essentially what the system was like before the BCS, and yet that didn't stop people from declaring national champions every year. The BCS just added a more objective and standard way to do that. Perhaps a little more objective than what preceded it, but not even close to objective. If we take goony's position, then they should go back to the way it was. If we take the opposite, then they need to let the championship be decided on the field and not by sports writers and coaches. Either way, they should do away with the BCS. The championship is already mostly decided on the field. Coaches and writers have input, but by and large, the best team gets a chance to win its last game and be crowned champ. You still have to win games, both regular season and bowl, to win a championship.
  23. Why is it asinine? There are no rules against it, and it's not any different than any other transaction that is allowed by the rules. If there are no rules against it it means the rules are asinine. A player like Fukudome has to go into the draft in a fantasy baseball league. There's no good reason why not.
×
×
  • Create New...