Jump to content
North Side Baseball

jersey cubs fan

Old-Timey Member
  • Posts

    68,103
  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won

    64

 Content Type 

Profiles

Joomla Posts 1

Chicago Cubs Videos

Chicago Cubs Free Agent & Trade Rumors, Notes, & Tidbits

2026 Chicago Cubs Top Prospects Ranking

News

2023 Chicago Cubs Draft Picks

Guides & Resources

2024 Chicago Cubs Draft Picks

The Chicago Cubs Players Project

2025 Chicago Cubs Draft Pick Tracker

2026 Chicago Cubs Draft Tracker: Picks & Bonuses

Blogs

Events

Forums

Store

Gallery

Everything posted by jersey cubs fan

  1. They picked a great time. Any sooner and they would have gotten less of a deal, any later and they wouldn't have gotten a deal. I suppose from that perspective. From the seat selling perspective, not so good. Selling seats in this economy is going to be tough, regardless of whether or not they have a new stadium. At least since it's new there is added incentive for people to keep paying during the tight times. If this was just another year at the old dump they may have taken a harder hit.
  2. They picked a great time. Any sooner and they would have gotten less of a deal, any later and they wouldn't have gotten a deal.
  3. What in the world are you talking about? ? Soriano isn't getting $17m a year. It's 8 years and heavily back loaded. Soriano has earned the money he's made to date, imo. Whether he'll earn it at the end of the contract, well, I highly doubt. Is that what you were after? I think that's pretty clear from my earlier posts, but maybe I'm just totally missing something b/c you seem almost offended. His contract is a guaranteed contract that averages to $17m/year. He made $17m in the first year, $13m in the 2nd and will make $16m this year and $18 the rest. It's asinine to suggest he doesn't make $17m a year. The contract is guaranteed and the signing bonus was already paid, and it's not even close to heavily backloaded.
  4. I'd like to file this idea under the definition of "how to make a bad contract worse". Trading Dempster for Vizcaino already accomplished that goal. This would be more like reshuffling bad contracts. The Cubs have plenty of arms that can fill the mediocre reliever role Vizcaino would fill, they don't have any shortstop depth in the organization. :shock: I'm dumb.
  5. I'd like to file this idea under the definition of "how to make a bad contract worse". Trading Dempster for Vizcaino already accomplished that goal. This would be more like reshuffling bad contracts. The Cubs have plenty of arms that can fill the mediocre reliever role Vizcaino would fill, they don't have any shortstop depth in the organization.
  6. http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/chi-10-cubs-chicagomar10,0,5823546.story Sullivan writes that Vizcaino is in jeopardy of losing his bullpen spot this spring. He's an older (will turn 35 before the season ends) reliever with a bit of a checkered history. I have my doubts that they'd release a $5m reliever right away, especially when they have other guys with options.
  7. Please tell me you're kidding. It's a spring training crowd, time for rest and relaxation.
  8. What in the world are you talking about?
  9. I thought it was Santo.
  10. The Rams haven't really been pass first for a while. Not since Steven Jackson has become a star. They threw the ball 55.5% of the time this year to the Bears 54.8%. He was the Rams leading WR this year when the team was an absolute mess and clearly phasing him out of the offense. Neither TO or Holt will make the Bears championship contenders, but they could easily put up the same numbers, though they are different types of WRs. Add in the lack of distraction created by Holt and the off chance that he could work with Hester, Bennett, and a rookie WR to become 1/2 the route runner that he is, then I think Holt is worth a 4th or 5th rounder. He probably wouldn't whine too much about playing for the Bears, because he would be getting his money and he does have some history w/ Lovie. If Holt is asking for a release so he can be a free agent, and choose his location, what makes you assume he won't be a distraction if that request is denied and he is traded to the Bears, who don't know what a passing game is? If they do get Holt, then not going after TO is forgiveable, but they are extremely unlikely to land even Holt.
  11. Yes, I felt that was going to be the case, but there was no reason why it had to be. It's not just a case of Jerry choosing not to get involved in a big-named player where the Bears already had somebody, but him refusing to improve a blatantly obvious must improve position.
  12. The 31 other teams excuse doens't hold much water. There were only a couple teams where it would have made sense to bring him in. New England wasn't a fit. Indy wasn't a fit. The only teams where it would make sense are teams where he would be the #1, where they stood a chance of contending with him, but didn't have much to lose if he blew up. There's no way he just took the first offer and signed before other teams had a chance to offer more. He took that money because nobody was offering more. His release was not a surprise, and Angelo should have been prepared to open up talks immediately.
  13. See, I don't get the idea of being torn. As I said before, what's the worst that could happen? A non-playoff team doesn't make the playoffs again? This isn't a very good team you'd fear TO would ruin, it's already on the verge of entering mediocrity. They need a couple things to even consider contending next year, an offensive tackle, a WR or two, and a defensive end or solid safety. They haven't come close to solving any of those issues, and only have 2 picks in the top 50 this year, where you can reasonably expect to find starters. You have to sign a free agent somewhere, and when an impact WR falls in your lap, you have to take it. Then you draft the other spots. As things stand now, they have to draft fairly well just to get back to last year's highly flawed team. Then where's the improvement coming from?
  14. I would much rather have the headache and the draft pick than Holt minus whatever pick they would have to give up. But the guy has asked to be released, presumably so he can pick his destination, and contract. How happy is he going to be to be forced to go to Chicago? He's probably going to demand, at the very least, an extension, probably one that pays him similar to what he could have gotten as a free agent. I have my doubts about Holt's ability to produce outside of an offense first passing team that plays in a dome against division foes that don't play defense.
  15. If Vlad is only a year older than previously stated, that still leaves him a couple years younger than I think he is.
  16. Yeah, but don't evaluators often use the phrase that the hitters will let you know how he's throwing? The opposition matters when evaluating how the guy looked. That said, I'd be fine adding Pedro to this staff. The Cubs can live with having a guy who can only give them 100 innings.
  17. I'm glad they kept him so they can at least avoid having to use a draft pick on the position. You really have to wonder what the motivation was for not using the guy much and running the crap out of Forte. Then again, they played Marty Booker over Earl Bennett all year and had no intention of keeping him either, and he wasn't doing a thing to help the team. I'm really disappointed that they could have had TO for very little and apparantly didn't even express interest. The WR position would have been solved for this season, giving them flexibility to draft guys at any spot. Since they are ignoring the position in free agency they have to get one early and hope he contributes early. I like Hester as a receiver, but thinking of him as a #1 is way past being just a stretch. He'd be a solid 2 with a real receiver taking double teams, but there's no way he's going to be the "must stop" guy that any defense worries about every play.
  18. shouldn't that stadium also make a lot of hitters look worse than they are? Yes. But doesn't the difference between good teams and their opponents increase in a low-run-scoring environment? Or I am misunderremembering that? I don't really get what you are saying.
  19. And Moises "pee on his hands and then ground out ot the left side" Alou Anyway, I bet dusty is pumped. Moises was failed check swing grounder to the right side.
  20. Wouldn't they be better off with a guy like Holt or Harrison then? Those guys don't offer near the risks and won't complain about Peterson running the ball 30 times per game. I don't think Harrison has much to offer. He's been in the ideal place for a WR that past couple years and hasn't been healthy enough to play or perform.
  21. The thing about Tank and Cedric is gun/dui/police problems vs TO's divaness. I agree that he doesn't seem to be very Bearslike, but TO works hard and doesn't get into trouble with the law.
×
×
  • Create New...