North Side Baseball

Guests
Why not? See if Rudy can fix him. I know that sounds cliché but what harm could it do?

We already have too many outfielders. And I like Hermida.

Why not? See if Rudy can fix him. I know that sounds cliché but what harm could it do?

DFA Nady. Problem solved

This. DFA Nady (31) and replace with Hermida (26)

Hermida would probably have to be non-tendered at the end of the year anyway (I'm not sure about that when there's a release in the middle, but I still don't think he can get less than 2.68 million next year without being non-tendered first). And the Cubs don't have enough at-bats for Fukudome right now. Where are they going to find at-bats for another left-handed outfielder? Hermida probably wouldn't be any worse for the Cubs but there isn't really any realistic upside because he wouldn't have any chance to show anything. So it becomes a pretty pointless move.

DFA Nady. Problem solved

This. DFA Nady (31) and replace with Hermida (26)

Hermida would probably have to be non-tendered at the end of the year anyway (I'm not sure about that when there's a release in the middle, but I still don't think he can get less than 2.68 million next year without being non-tendered first). And the Cubs don't have enough at-bats for Fukudome right now. Where are they going to find at-bats for another left-handed outfielder? Hermida probably wouldn't be any worse for the Cubs but there isn't really any realistic upside because he wouldn't have any chance to show anything. So it becomes a pretty pointless move.

How about Fukudome + Fontenot + Cash for Hermida + decent prospect?

That would make us a lot worse.

Make us a lot worse than what? Everybody's on board with trading Fukudome for salary relief and Fontenot is redundant with DeWitt on board. Hermida might rebound with Jaramillo, a decent prospect might help in the future, and salary relief helps for next year.

Guests

Make us a lot worse than what? Everybody's on board with trading Fukudome for salary relief and Fontenot is redundant with DeWitt on board. Hermida might rebound with Jaramillo, a decent prospect might help in the future, and salary relief helps for next year.

Fukudome is better than Hermida, and Fontenot is in all likelihood worth more than the "decent prospect". Since you're kicking in money it doesn't save very much. Saving 5 mil is not worth giving away Fukudome and Fontenot. Just because Fukudome and Fontenot are redundant doesn't mean they aren't valuable. You don't trade quarters for nickels just cause all you have is a roll of quarters.

Fukudome is better than Hermida, and Fontenot is in all likelihood worth more than the "decent prospect". Since you're kicking in money it doesn't save very much. Saving 5 mil is not worth giving away Fukudome and Fontenot. Just because Fukudome and Fontenot are redundant doesn't mean they aren't valuable. You don't trade quarters for nickels just cause all you have is a roll of quarters.

Fukudome @ $14 million for next year is almost untradeable. The Cubs will be lucky to get a "decent prospect" for Fontenot, so taking a chance on a 26 year old who has had some success, a "decent prospect", and cash savings sounds like a good deal for 2 players who are not in the plans for the 2011 Cubs.