Minor League Discussion & Boxes 5-13-10

Box Scores

Iowa won 8-4 Box Score

CF/LF J. Adduci 1/5, 2 R, 2B (5)

SS D. Barney 1/5, 2 R

DH C. Tracy 4/5, R, 3 RBI, 2 2B (3), K

1B M. Hoffpauir 0/4, RBI, K

3B M. Smith 0/3, 2 BB, R

LF B. LaHair 3/4, 2 R, 2 RBI, 2B (6), HR (4), K, SB (2)

CF S. Fuld 0/1

RF B. Snyder 1/4, 3B (2), 2 K, E (2, fielding)

C W. Castillo 1/4, RBI

2B B. Scales 1/4, K

SP T. Diamond 5 IP, 7 H, 4 R, 3 ER, 3/1 K/BB, 2 HR, 3-7 GO-FO

RP J. Jackson 1.1 scoreless, 3 H, 2-1 GO-FO

RP J. Gaub .1 scoreless, 0 H, 1/1 K/BB

RP B. Schlitter 2.1 scoreless, 1 H, 1/1 K/BB, 1-4 GO-FO

Tennessee lost 5-3 Box Score

CF T. Campana 2/4, BB, R

SS M. Gonzalez 0/5, RBI, K, 2 E (3, throw x 2)

LF T. Wright 2/5, R, RBI, 2B (9)

RF M. Spencer 1/4, 2 K

C R. Chirinos 0/4

3B J. Vitters 1/4, E (4, throw)

2B N. Samson 3/4, R

SP HW Chen 7 IP, 8 H, 5 R, 3 ER, 3/0 K/BB, 2 HR, HBP, 7-9 GO-FO, E (2, missed catch)

RP D. Cales 2 perfect, 1/0 K/BB, 3-2 GO-FO

Daytona lost 3-2 Box Score

DH J. Opitz 1/4

2B R. Flaherty 2/4, RBI, 2 K

1B R. Ridling 0/4, K

CF K. Burke 0/4, 2 K

3B DJ LeMahieu 1/4, SB (2)

SS J. Lake 1/3, R, K, CS (5)

SP C. Archer 5 scoreless, 1 H, 2/3 K/BB, HBP, 7-6 GO-FO

RP A. Shafer 2 scoreless, 0 H, 2/1 K/BB, HBP, 1-2 GO-FO

RP M. Carrillo 1 IP, 2 H, 2 ER, 1/1 K/BB, 1-1 GO-FO

RP J. Beliveau .1 IP, 2 H, 1 ER, 1/1 K/BB, HBP

Peoria won 7-1 Box Score

SS HJ Lee 1/5, R

2B L. Watkins 1/5, R, RBI, K

DH M. Cerda 3/5, 2 R, 4 RBI, HR (2)

3B G. Rohan 2/5, 2 K

1B J. Bour 1/4, R, RBI, HR (3)

LF DJ Fitzgerald 1/4, RBI, 3 K

RF R. Jones 1/4

CF F. Guzman 1/3, BB, 2 R, K, SB (3)

SP K. McNutt 6 scoreless, 5 H, 7/2 K/BB, 5-6 GO-FO

RP J. Nagel 3 IP, 2 H, 1 ER, 3/0 K/BB, WP, 4-1 GO-FO

OVERALL: 2-2

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guests
What's the story on Blake Parker? His numbers at Iowa look fairly decent. Does he have any potential as a reliever in the bigs?

Yes. He should be considered higher on the food chain than Gray, Berg, or Russell.

Verified Member
What's the story on Blake Parker? His numbers at Iowa look fairly decent. Does he have any potential as a reliever in the bigs?

Yes. He should be considered higher on the food chain than Gray, Berg, or Russell.

Interesting.

I'd put him at about the same level as Gray, but ahead of Berg and Russell. Blake attacks with a good fastball/slider combo, and he challenges hitters by most accounts, but as noted, his control is a bit erratic. I think both Parker and Gray are largely middle relievers that, on a good year, may be capable setup guys (whereas I view Berg/Russell as strictly middle relief guys).

Verified Member
Some injury news from Bruce Miles:

-Mike Parisi to undergo elbow surgery

-Marcos Mateo is waiting for results from an MRI on his right knee; Oneri Fleita did not sound optimistic about it

-Brett Jackson has a minor foot injury and is day to day

:(

Booooo

I think has some major control issues for a late inning reliever.

His BBs per 9 are similar to what Marmol's were and are 1 and 2 BBs per 9 better respectively than Jose Valverde and Bobby Jenks during their minor league tenures. His Ks per nine are a little bit better than Marmol's and Jenks were. Valverde had an insane 12.2 Ks per nine during 7 minor league seasons.

How old is McNutt?

20; he'll turn 21 in August.

Tim Wilken has compared McNutt to Cashner, which seems pretty accurate from the reports I've read on McNutt. Good FB, good slider, still needs some refinement, but has the raw tools to be effective as a setup man/closer.

6 IP, 5 H, 0 R, 7 K, 2 BB. His night should be done.

How old is McNutt?

20; he'll turn 21 in August.

Tim Wilken has compared McNutt to Cashner, which seems pretty accurate from the reports I've read on McNutt. Good FB, good slider, still needs some refinement, but has the raw tools to be effective as a setup man/closer.

6 IP, 5 H, 0 R, 7 K, 2 BB. His night should be done.

Thanks for the info very nice night for the Nutt.

Guests
Is 2008 2nd rounder Aaron Schafer worth following? He wasnt anything to get excited about as a starter last year, but hes been pretty dominant as a reliever for Daytona so far this year. Any scouting report on him?

Yeah, I'm curious to find out if his stuff has improved from last season (I'm sure there's been an uptick in velocity moving to the pen but how significant?) but keep in mind he was like the 7th or 8th starter for Daytona to start the season.

Chad Tracys been a man on a mission since being sent to Iowa. 3-3 with a 2B and 3 RBI so far tonight. Now that Starlin and Theriot are our full time middle infield, it could be time to move Fontenot or Baker and bring Tracy back, especially if Aramis continues to suck. He had that 1 good game when he started, and then he was sent down not too long after. Edited by Little Slide Rooter

Some injury news from Bruce Miles:

-Mike Parisi to undergo elbow surgery

-Marcos Mateo is waiting for results from an MRI on his right knee; Oneri Fleita did not sound optimistic about it

-Brett Jackson has a minor foot injury and is day to day

:(

Booooo

Much rather a minor foot injury that something worse. Too bad about Mateo, but I dont care either way about Parisi.

O_O, not that it makes a huge difference, but I've been under the impression that McNutt is a power curve guy rather than a slider guy.

Anyhow, it's quite nice to see how well he's doing early in the year, and the best part seems to be that his stuff is holding into the middle innings.

The problem with fitting Chad Tracy into the roster is ... well how do you do it? The only swap that makes sense for me is Mike Fontenot, but I'm not sure Fontenot has options left. If you move Baker down, then you have Tracy/Colvin/Fontenot off the bench, leaving you a bit shorthanded on righty bench bats.

I'm actually not against Fontenot going down, I'm just not sure I see the Cubs doing that. Something has to budge at some point. Tyler Colvin really needs regular ABs and should be the one to go down, but then they would need a backup CF in the bigs (unless they opt for Kosuke as the backup CF, and start utilizing Baker some in the OF, at least until Nady is ready).

The problem with fitting Chad Tracy into the roster is ... well how do you do it? The only swap that makes sense for me is Mike Fontenot, but I'm not sure Fontenot has options left. If you move Baker down, then you have Tracy/Colvin/Fontenot off the bench, leaving you a bit shorthanded on righty bench bats.

I'm actually not against Fontenot going down, I'm just not sure I see the Cubs doing that. Something has to budge at some point. Tyler Colvin really needs regular ABs and should be the one to go down, but then they would need a backup CF in the bigs (unless they opt for Kosuke as the backup CF, and start utilizing Baker some in the OF, at least until Nady is ready).

Im more for Fontenot being traded. the Castro/Theriot MI makes him irrelevant, because hes really not a backup shortstop, and aside from a lefty bat off the bench, theres really not much use for him. I agree that Colvin, who I believe will be our RF once Kosukes contract is up could benefit from regular ABs in Iowa as well. Also, Nady isnt 100%, and it shows. As far as Im concerned, 1 of Fontenot or Baker could be traded and call up Tracy. In addition, either DL Nady or send Colvin to Iowa for his own good and call up Darwin Barney as a backup SS, as Ive heard hes pretty good defensively, although his offensive ceiling is somewhere between Andres Blanco and present day Omar Vizquel.