Jump to content
North Side Baseball

CaliforniaRaisin

Community Moderator
  • Posts

    34,651
  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won

    23

 Content Type 

Profiles

Joomla Posts 1

Chicago Cubs Videos

Chicago Cubs Free Agent & Trade Rumors, Notes, & Tidbits

2026 Chicago Cubs Top Prospects Ranking

News

2023 Chicago Cubs Draft Picks

Guides & Resources

2024 Chicago Cubs Draft Picks

The Chicago Cubs Players Project

2025 Chicago Cubs Draft Pick Tracker

2026 Chicago Cubs Draft Tracker: Picks & Bonuses

Blogs

Events

Forums

Store

Gallery

Everything posted by CaliforniaRaisin

  1. When I first saw BA, I thought it was Jeremy Sowers (just because it was a lefty in an Indians uni).
  2. Yeah, in 2001. It was Paul Quantrill and Izturis for two young pitchers Luke Prokopec and Chad Ricketts (Ricketts was actually drafted by the Cubs).
  3. Funny you should ask..... I'm sitting at a loading dock right now in Alsip, IL waiting to get loaded for beautiful Waxahachie, TX !! Believe it or not, I've been to Waxahatchie. So, what route are you taking there? Are you coming through Little Rock through Texarkana or going through Oklahoma? Well.... I would have gone through Memphis / Little Rock / Texarkana, but the damned load got canceled. Now, I'm sitting back at the house calling other brokers on the phone to see if I can strike a a better deal. Failing that, I'll be going into the city in the morning to pick up a load for Los Angeles for Monday. Where in LA?
  4. BA Writeup on the East Coast Prospect Showcase BA's Top 20 Prospects at the East Coast Showcase (premium content): Matt Harvey is ranked #1 and Michael Main #2.
  5. Not just that, but a lot of these kids who had learned how to throw a curveball were often taught incorrectly or improperly by parents, coaches, etc. which makes it even worse. I think 18 is a bit too old to teach a curveball but 12-14 is far too young. Now if you outlawed curveballs in HS baseball, I'd actually been good enough in HS to play in college. :P
  6. Yeah, I blame T2E, raw, UK and mlpeel.
  7. Not surprising, but Dylan Johnston is out for the season with that ankle sprain of his. Billy Petrick might come off the DL as early as tomorrow.
  8. No, there was never a new contract after he failed the physical.
  9. After Ryan's hot July and August, that won't happen till at least midway through 2008. I'm sure he's earned a few chances at AA in the Cubs' eyes now. It was more of talk here anyways, but even if Ryan had continued to hit .200, I don't think he'd have converted after this season.
  10. Dang, Cal is starting to get too much love from the national media...
  11. Yeah. :oops: I think that's twice in a row too, isn't it? So much for the error-less streak :roll: Yeah, I typed it wrong on my spreadsheet and forgot to fix it when I made the mistake last time.
  12. From Kevin Goldstein's BP chat today, not Cub-related, but on international scouting:
  13. Kevin Goldstein chat on BP:
  14. The concern is with his bat, his defense is fine so the Jeter comparison is pointless. RBI totals are not a good way to judge a player, even more so in the minors than the majors. Howard had much better plate discipline and wasn't killed by breaking pitches low and away. Despite Harvey's good play of late, his plate discipline has been bad and he hasn't shown much improvement on said breaking pitches. He's going to be eaten alive at AA (the SL is another pitcher's league) with smarter, better pitchers. His power is fantastic, but he's not much of a prospect if he doesn't make more contact (and start laying off on the pitches he can't hit).
  15. Wow - those are some serious home-away splits. I had been looking at Craig's and thought they were pretty dramatic (962/700 OPS) , but Harvey really likes that home cooking (902/527 OPS). I know the FSL is considered a strong pitcher's league, maybe Daytona is just an average park. Shorter distance down the lines and to straight away LF and RF at Jackie Robinson than most any other FSL ballpark. But the onshore breezes can also have a negative effect on hitters at the Jack.
  16. They're taking a good approach. I'm not surprised, given that they ruled out promoting him to the Reds despite Cincinnati being in the race.
  17. Neifi for Jordan Tata! Heck, Neifi for a PTBNL...wait a year and have that PTBNL be Andrew Miller. :)
  18. There's no way Ryan can keep that .382 BA. Hopefully this hot streak is at least partially due to the change in his swing so when he cools down, he doesn't return to the sub-.200 BAs of April and May.
  19. They'll start him at AA. I'd start him at Daytona and be ready with a quick promotion.
  20. Wade Miller only topped out in the mid-80s at Round Rock yesterday:
  21. Oh, gotcha. I say leave it for now since Veal and Pawelek made the cutoff. What you did is good for premium material that is below the cutoff.
  22. Pawelek's season has been disappointing, but he's still a solid prospect with high upside (as Goldstein has mentioned) and has turned it around the past month. He was supposed to start the season in Peoria but ended up in extended because he showed up out of shape and didn't impress in ST. Then, he starts his Boise season with Rick Ankiel-like control and gets sent to the bullpen in favor of the likes of Billy Muldowney. But he's worked closely with his pitching coach in Boise (David Rosario) on repeating his deliver and mechanics (what was he working on in Mesa?) and his control has improved greatly. He's been great since returning to the rotation (28.1 IP, 1.59 ERA, 27 Ks, 8 BBs). If he keeps that up the rest of the way, I can't really be disappointed.
  23. Harvey's BB/K rate continues to be horrid during his hot stretch, which is very disappointing. In fact, it got worse in July (2/29 when he was hitting .305) before improving halfway through August. The one good thing I keep hearing and reading about is that his turnaround has coincided with a new, shorter swing. He has needed to do that for a long time now. Perhaps that's the first step in an all around improvement. I'm still not confident he won't be a AA flameout...
  24. It should be fine to post it since it's not premium material. Frankly, I'm a bit surprised Kershaw is that high after 36 GCL innings.
×
×
  • Create New...