Jump to content
North Side Baseball

CaliforniaRaisin

Community Moderator
  • Posts

    34,647
  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won

    23

 Content Type 

Profiles

Joomla Posts 1

Chicago Cubs Videos

Chicago Cubs Free Agent & Trade Rumors, Notes, & Tidbits

2026 Chicago Cubs Top Prospects Ranking

News

2023 Chicago Cubs Draft Picks

Guides & Resources

2024 Chicago Cubs Draft Picks

The Chicago Cubs Players Project

2025 Chicago Cubs Draft Pick Tracker

2026 Chicago Cubs Draft Tracker: Picks & Bonuses

Blogs

Events

Forums

Store

Gallery

Everything posted by CaliforniaRaisin

  1. The tents and sleeping bags are outside Pauley - it's rivalry week in LA and USC is coming to Westwood! Freshman Alfred Aboya, who was injured in the loss to Washington on Saturday, has been cleared to play. Cedric Bozeman, who was earlier thought to be out for the year because of torn cartilage in his shoulder has actually started practicing again. :shock:
  2. Heath Miller grades out similarly to these players and he has had a very large impact to the Steelers this year once incorporated into the offense. He torched the Colts in the first half on Sunday. Their passing game had more impact (albiet slightly) than last year despite losing their second most productive receiver and injuries to Big Ben. Was this due in some part to Ben's continual development? Sure, but you can not underestimate the impact that Miller has had on that offense. I think a pass catching TE would add a much needed dimention to this team. Simply put, our TE's are a black hole and pose almost no threat to to anyone in any situation. In my mind that's the place where our offense can be improved instantly. I guess we'll agree to disagree here. This is a good/deep TE draft and I wouldn't be upset if we picked one in the first or second round. Agreed. but are any of the TEs projected in the first round the same caliber player as miller? I would say that (This is pretty preliminary considering no one has worked out yet) that Vernon Davis grades higher than Miller and Pope, Lewis and Fasano are around Miller's range. Higher or lower depending who you talk to. I don't think Fasano grades out Miller's range, but yeah, I'd rate Davis ahead of Miller and Pope and Marcedes about equal.
  3. Heath Miller grades out similarly to these players and he has had a very large impact to the Steelers this year once incorporated into the offense. He torched the Colts in the first half on Sunday. Their passing game had more impact (albiet slightly) than last year despite losing their second most productive receiver and injuries to Big Ben. Was this due in some part to Ben's continual development? Sure, but you can not underestimate the impact that Miller has had on that offense. I think a pass catching TE would add a much needed dimention to this team. Simply put, our TE's are a black hole and pose almost no threat to to anyone in any situation. In my mind that's the place where our offense can be improved instantly. I guess we'll agree to disagree here. This is a good/deep TE draft and I wouldn't be upset if we picked one in the first or second round. Agreed.
  4. I wonder what effect, if any trading Corey has on him. I doubt it has much effect. Corey knows it's a business, I would think Eric would too. I'm sure Corey wanted out of the system too and is glad to be traded.
  5. Yeah, I can't see Eric being ready by opening day 2007.
  6. I have...uhh... Ryan Harvey autographed baseball (thanks, Jon!) Corey Patterson autographed Cubs convention pass (thanks, Jon!) Eric Gagne autographed bar tab (met him at a bar in Old Town Pasadena, he was drunk and giving away autographs for everyone in the bar - and he bought us all drinks too). Pedro Astacio autographed baseball card. And my mom has a movie ticket stub signed by Vlade Divac and Rick Fox. Now that's a collection.
  7. Kinda like Dwight Schrute when he crashed his car and got concussed. Haha, awesome. Will Alexander, Morgan and Peppers play?
  8. He will... Notre Dame is becoming the place that everyone wants to go now. They're the new Duke or Yankees of college football. Did you wake up 60 years ago? ND has on and off been the #1 preferred destination for HS players for a very long time, you know. You can't say that about the last decade or so pre-Weiss.
  9. Sounds like Oneri wants Brian to be promoted to West Tenn, I don't think that's too bad a decision. Get him out of his home state. Yeah, I think Veal is. He was on the verge of cracking BA's top 10 list after just a few innings. Hopefully he can get his FB up to how hard he was throwing at Pima, it was down to the low 90s in Mesa and Boise. I think it's way too early to say that. Hopefully he can be healthy this season though.
  10. Wow, that was a wonderful read. Injuries: Sean Gallagher has started working on his slider again and Oneri gave Von Joshua love for helping Ronny Cedeno out.
  11. I'd hold off on such lofty comparisons for Claussen. Unless he picks UCLA of course! :D Heh. That'll happen the same year the Cubs win the World Series and the Bulls win the NBA championship.
  12. Go Seattle.
  13. Post All-Star break, JJ put up a .308 BA and a .866 OPS. I wouldnt exactly call that struggling. Also, when looking at his numbers the first half of last year, you have to take into consideration that JJ basically skipped AAA because of a shoulder injury he suffered early in the 2004 season. Why focus on just Post-AS stats? He hit .187 before the AS break. That being said, he is going to have to hit better than a combined .247 for the year for the Brewers to make any noise. Because he's a young player breaking into the big leagues? Making adjustments and improvements after struggling to start his rookie year is a good sign. That I understand, I am not saying he will do horrible, but in the context of this thread JJ is going to have to hit well over .240 for the Brewers to win 90+ games and be Division champs. And given what he's done in the minors and the adjustments he apparently made in the latter half of his first season (after the book had gotten out on him, no less), I don't think it's a stretch to believe Hardy will post a BA over .240.
  14. I'd hold off on such lofty comparisons for Claussen.
  15. Post All-Star break, JJ put up a .308 BA and a .866 OPS. I wouldnt exactly call that struggling. Also, when looking at his numbers the first half of last year, you have to take into consideration that JJ basically skipped AAA because of a shoulder injury he suffered early in the 2004 season. Why focus on just Post-AS stats? He hit .187 before the AS break. That being said, he is going to have to hit better than a combined .247 for the year for the Brewers to make any noise. Because he's a young player breaking into the big leagues? Making adjustments and improvements after struggling to start his rookie year is a good sign.
  16. I noted that as bs as well...(from whomever said that at the convention..not you, Deuce). Also, Felix Pie having a tough time in winter ball isn't good news no matter how you spin it. Here's to hoping that Pawelek has another great year...where will he be pitching this season? high A? I'd guess low A Peoria. Andy Sisco did not really have that bad a season in his last year in the Cubs system. Interesting justification for not protecting him. Anyone hear of Andy causing problems in KC? Thanks, Deuce! Sisco wasn't terrible, but saying he had a bad year isn't a stretch at all. He set career worsts in ERA(4.21), WHIP(1.45), walk rate(4.64/9 IP), HR rate(0.79/9), hit rate(8.43/9), basically everything was worse except his K rate, which stayed the same. He also broke his hand, and wasn't young for his (pitcher's) league. Not bad enough to use as justification not to protect him, especially given his ceiling. Using it in conjunction with his injury, attitude, and weight problems probably is. Someone a while back(maybe Bruce?) also brought up that the Cubs didn't want to send the message to the system that they rewarded that type of performance/behavior. Ehh, somewhat understandable. I didn't have that big a problem with them not protecting him at the time, I just disagree with the reasoning they're using now. I really wonder what he did in KC.
  17. Not inefficient when all 3 were not all healthy or prepared at the same time (Benson hold out). Where would the Bears have been when TJ missed the same week that Benson hurt his knee? Yes. The Bears absolutely must keep TJ and Benson. Two RBs are a must.
  18. I noted that as bs as well...(from whomever said that at the convention..not you, Deuce). Also, Felix Pie having a tough time in winter ball isn't good news no matter how you spin it. Here's to hoping that Pawelek has another great year...where will he be pitching this season? high A? I'd guess low A Peoria. Andy Sisco did not really have that bad a season in his last year in the Cubs system. Interesting justification for not protecting him. Anyone hear of Andy causing problems in KC? Thanks, Deuce! Sisco wasn't terrible, but saying he had a bad year isn't a stretch at all. He set career worsts in ERA(4.21), WHIP(1.45), walk rate(4.64/9 IP), HR rate(0.79/9), hit rate(8.43/9), basically everything was worse except his K rate, which stayed the same. He also broke his hand, and wasn't young for his (pitcher's) league. Not bad enough to use as justification not to protect him, especially given his ceiling.
  19. AP and Benson are more similar in their styles than TJ is with either of them. In this day and age, you need 2 competent RBs, I'd keep all three and hope Benson has supplanted TJ by the end of next season.
  20. it's my understanding that mercedes is a project, or simply not an everydown TE. i'm wondering if vernon davis wouldn't be a better selection. i just wish that there was a TE like heath miller this year. that would have been great. Vernon Davis will be gone. Marcedes is not a project and he definitely is an everydown TE. He is a bit raw and needs to add a bit of muscle but should make a good contribution his rookie year and would be a great safety valve for Rex Grossman (as he was for Drew Olson this year). i don't like that "raw" bit. we should not be drafting a raw TE in the first round. john allred was raw and he was terrible. marcedes better be a little thicker when the draft comes around. He will be thicker, he's working out on that right now. A comparison to John Allred is really not appropriate.
  21. He won't be. And yeah, I did mean Pope. Davis is a notch above both. Then Pope, then Marcedes. Sorry, Rais. Any chance Marcus McNeil slips to 26? Doubtful. If so, though, I'd gladly pick him then go TE in round 2 or 3. Whitworth (LSU) may be an OT in the 2nd. Lutui could be there in the 2nd also at OG. Heh, we're gonna have to disagree on Marcedes and Pope. His blocking isn't as good as Pope's but his receiving ability is further along and I think he has a higher ceiling than Pope. His frame and 6'6" size and good hands would be great for Rex. McNeil would be nice, I'd take him over Marcedes and Pope. I have seen him mostly in the 15-20 range so far, but that's not much to slip down to the Bears spot. I would LOVE Lutui in the 2nd round.
  22. I just don't see Vernon Davis being available when the Bears pick. If he was, I'd take him over Marcedes.
  23. Which LTs do you see slipping to round 2?
×
×
  • Create New...