Jump to content
North Side Baseball

jersey cubs fan

Old-Timey Member
  • Posts

    68,099
  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won

    64

 Content Type 

Profiles

Joomla Posts 1

Chicago Cubs Videos

Chicago Cubs Free Agent & Trade Rumors, Notes, & Tidbits

2026 Chicago Cubs Top Prospects Ranking

News

2023 Chicago Cubs Draft Picks

Guides & Resources

2024 Chicago Cubs Draft Picks

The Chicago Cubs Players Project

2025 Chicago Cubs Draft Pick Tracker

2026 Chicago Cubs Draft Tracker: Picks & Bonuses

Blogs

Events

Forums

Store

Gallery

Everything posted by jersey cubs fan

  1. You want him to be a superstar? I'm sure everybody does, but that's not realistic. There's nothing wrong with a player not being a superstar. And why can he only play for an average team? A team could go far playing Murton everyday. He gives you above average production for well below average cost.
  2. Did Marshall even have 3 starts like this last year, let alone consecutively. I dont recall. Was Marshall really THAT bad last year? I seem to remember him coming up and pitching pretty well, and then just falling off at the end. Maybe (probably) I'm wrong. http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/gamelog?statsId=7718&year=2006 He was up and down. His first two starts stunk. Then he had an okay start, then 3 straight good ones. Terrible/good/terrible/good. He showed promise, had a solid 3 game stretch here and there, but then he'd blow up.
  3. that's who I voted for, with the final straw being the extension for Hendry before he walked out the door. I actually think he did a good job turning around the organization in the 90's, to the point that they were in a position to enjoy great success this decade. But he was the man who hired Lynch, hired, groomed and promoted Hendry, and who ignored the influx of so-called new thinking in baseball. MacPhail set the tone of the organization, and it's the organizational failures that have most plagued the team.
  4. Really? Maybe the routes he runs in LF arent the prettiest but he sure does gun down runners at the plate and can gun people trying to leg out a double really well. I though all his assist last year might of been a fluke. I dont see it that way anymore. I'd say his fielding and arm pretty much offset each other to the point that he's okay in LF. Very good? No.
  5. If they took a chance on Wade Miller they should take a chance on Mark Prior, even at that amount. Meh. I don't think he should get anymore than Wood's $1.75M They can't cut his salary that much per MLBPA. They can if he agrees to it. If they go to arbitration, it'll be higher. But if they negotiate before the date for arbitration tenders, they could get him to agree to a lower base, and add incentives as an enticement.
  6. I think suspensions generally mean no practice, but if this includes offseason camps I think that's pretty stupid.
  7. I'm not sure how Hendry has handcuffed him. Lou knew what the roster was going to look like when he signed up. And he's been around baseball long enough to know what the CBA rules allow a team to do.
  8. Manager suspensions are pretty silly and largely symbolic. He's still going to be there right? Lou is going to dictate the lineup card and who should be used when and where. I don't think Trammel is going to feel comfortable making any move he knows Lou would never make.
  9. The Cubs are babies if true. Nut up, and start playing baseball. If there's a dumber phrase than "nut up" I have yet to hear it. Is there any report that the Cubs players are actually complaining b/c Lou's mean or too hard on them or is that just what some here are assuming? Maybe the players just think Lou's an incompetent manager and that's frustrating them. Being frustrated with incompetent leadership is human nature. Doesn't make you baby. If you think your leader is doing a bad job of leading, you're supposed to sit quietly and smile while he drives you off the cliff? Yeah, Lou has been like a cartoon character and really likes mugging for the cameras. I'm guessing some players are annoyed by his "I'm a baseball genius but I can't do it all for these incompetent morons" routine. I think the players probably hated the way he responded to the Dempster game in NY. He promised big changes in response to the game, and apparantly, after realizing there wasn't anything he could do, decided to switch deck chairs. The Dempster to the rotation back to the bullpen fiasco could really rub the players the wrong way.
  10. My guess would be that part of Tank and his people's strategy from the beginning was to be as contrite as possible, and let it be known to Goodell that he'd take whatever was handed down. That contrition, and his willingness not to appeal, put the ball in the NFL's court to show some level of compassion and leniency. I would think compliance involves similar issues that parole requires, basically not getting in any trouble and avoiding other criminals.
  11. As I've said before, I really have a problem with this retroactive enforcement of the new policy. But given the other issues, it's not that "unfair". If compliance just means don't get in trouble between now and Oct 21 and you can come back, then I expect Tank to be back for the 7th game in Philly.
  12. http://www.chicagobears.com/news/NewsStory.asp?story_id=3492 Sounds like Tank is going to accept it, but can get reduced to 6 based on his compliance, whatever that means.
  13. Speaking of Lou's suspension, there's something I don't understand: it's wrong for a Manager or Player to touch an Umpire but, it's OK for an Umpire to make contact with a Manager or Player? Such as the Umpire who was pushing Lou away from Wagner? That would depend on who initiated contact. I think a lot of umps instigate conflict with the players and managers. But if Lou made contact first, then he's fair game for an ump to physically touch and try to push away. I've yet to see where Lou made any physical contact with the ump, other than the picture where it looks like their belly buttons are rubbing together.
  14. If you are playing a position with as many big producers as 1B has, then yes. Every position has its elite, its second tier, then the mediocre and space fillers types. I think it's blatantly obvious Lee was not an elite 1B prior to 2005. To argue otherwise is just laughable. Why get so offended by somebody pointing out the truth? In 2004, Lee was the 9th ranked 1B in OPS. Omar Infante was the 9th ranked SS. Are you offended if somebody says Omar wasn't elite? Raul Ibanez was the 9th ranked LF, Shawn Green was the 9th ranked RF. These guys weren't elite were they?
  15. that's a really stupid article. the writer criticizes lou for saying this... and then says this... ...which is exactly what lou was saying. The writers point is that it's wrong to complain like that out loud. If the story is that he's losing the players, it doesn't matter if what he says is accurate, what matters is how the players are responding. If plublicly ridiculing the players were working, then there would be no complaint.
  16. 2nd rate among first baseman. Ranking anywhere from 20-9 among qualified 1B in OPS. 200 OPS points off the leaders. That is 2nd rate. You're far too generous if you think that's an elite 1B.
  17. Technically yes. But I think it was a bit of stretch to get Ward to agree to quietly take his DL stint. It would be a bit much to think he'd quietly stay on the DL well past the designated date for activation.
  18. If he were to return to pre-Cubs DLee, you better hope he's traded. That was unimpressive second rate production for a first baseman. Saying he was 2nd rate before the Cubs is a stretch. Thank you! he wasnt one of the best, but he still was above average which ill take! Not being one of the best, but still above average is pretty much what 2nd rate means. Not top tier. Far from elite. 2nd rate.
  19. If he were to return to pre-Cubs DLee, you better hope he's traded. That was unimpressive second rate production for a first baseman. Saying he was 2nd rate before the Cubs is a stretch. Saying he was anything better than 2nd rate is just plain wrong.
  20. If he were to return to pre-Cubs DLee, you better hope he's traded. That was unimpressive second rate production for a first baseman. I might be mistaken wasn't he a .280 25-30hrs and 90ish RBI guy, I could be wrong, but thats not a second rate production first baseman. 1st base isnt a very deep position and thats those are above average numbers. First off, BA/HR/RBI isn't a good way to describe somebody's production. Second, he was a 820-880 OPS guy before 2005, ranking anywhere from the 20's to as high as 9th for MLB 1st baseman, and a good 200 OPS points off the leaders. He was 2nd tier at a very deep position. The Cubs can't afford to get that little production out of such a highly compensated player, especially if you combine him with Soriano.
  21. If he were to return to pre-Cubs DLee, you better hope he's traded. That was unimpressive second rate production for a first baseman.
  22. I expect Pie to be in the line-up today. Hitting 2nd, 8th, doesn't matter. Just in the line-up. I just wonder who goes when Ward comes back. I'm hoping that Jones does but we'll see. If they are truly sticking with Pie longterm, then I think you are right, somebody will be gone within 15 days - when Ward returns.
  23. I can certainly blame the media. If you're a casual fan of another team I wouldn't expect you to know the story. But if you are a professional writer getting paid to follow football, you have to know that primetime isn't the only time he played.
  24. Agreed. Agreed and you(Stichface) claiming that Dlee is past is prime is incorrect hes 32 its not like hes 40. I think you are also forgetting that hes the best fielding first baseman in the major leagues. 26-28 is a players' prime years, generally speaking. Once you hit your early 30's you are getting past your prime. I don't really know what it means to overhaul the entire roster. Obviously I wouldn't need 25 guys in return for him. I'm not all that interested in dealing him, but I wouldn't complain if they got 3-4 really solid pieces.
×
×
  • Create New...