Minor League Discussion & Boxes, 8-8-15

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guests

Almora 2/2 with a 2B and BB thus far.

Including tonight, his last 20 games: 88 PA, .295/.363/.487/.850, 3 HR, 9/9 K/BB

Hmmm

it would be really nice if he turned into something

Agreed. I had written him off completely. My interest is at least piqued again -- mainly due to the walks. It seems like he's made an honest commitment to being patient, and he seems to be reaping the benefits of waiting for pitches in the zone that he can drive... or so I will tell myself to explain away the last few years.

Guests
Pierce Johnson tonight: 7IP 3H 1R 1BB 7K

Jake Stinnett tonight: 7IP 3H 1R 1BB 6K

Stinnett's last three: 19.2IP 1BB 16K

The Stinnett we had hoped for:

[tweet]

[/tweet]

Pierce Johnson tonight: 7IP 3H 1R 1BB 7K

Jake Stinnett tonight: 7IP 3H 1R 1BB 6K

Stinnett's last three: 19.2IP 1BB 16K

The Stinnett we had hoped for:

[tweet]

[/tweet]

Any reports on Stinnett's velocity/stuff?

who is oscar de la cruz? 20 years old pitching for eugene, has solid numbers and striking out about one batter per inning.

Definitely worth keeping an eye on. He's 6'5, maybe 6'6 now, 240ish. Sits 92ish, hits 95. Can't remember his secondaries, he's raw. But he's taken big steps forward this year.

Willson Contreras is 1-2 with a double and 2 walks.

Season line up to: .343/.421/.499

So McKinney is pretty good and all, but it wouldn't be crazy to say that Contreras is our second best prospect, would it? If he's a good defensive catcher to go along with what he's been doing offensively this year and McKinney's a corner OF.....

So McKinney is pretty good and all, but it wouldn't be crazy to say that Contreras is our second best prospect, would it? If he's a good defensive catcher to go along with what he's been doing offensively this year and McKinney's a corner OF.....

It's pretty easy to get excited about him right now, but I'd want to see him sustain this kind of offense in Iowa next year before I'd say that. Top 10? Absolutely. That's as far as I'd go for now though.

I could understand McKinney and Happ being ranked higher (Gleyber obviously too, as I think he's #1), but after that it's guys like Johnson, Zagunis, Almora, Edwards, Vogelbach, Jimenez, Cease and other dudes in Eugene and Arizona (and seriously, how excited can one really get about pitchers in short season ball?) I feel like a 23 yr old catcher having this type of season, OPSing over .900 in the Southern League, is good enough to move him ahead of pretty much all of these guys.

I could understand McKinney and Happ being ranked higher (Gleyber obviously too, as I think he's #1), but after that it's guys like Johnson, Zagunis, Almora, Edwards, Vogelbach, Jimenez, Cease and other dudes in Eugene and Arizona (and seriously, how excited can one really get about pitchers in short season ball?) I feel like a 23 yr old catcher having this type of season, OPSing over .900 in the Southern League, is good enough to move him ahead of pretty much all of these guys.

This is where scouting reports and things like upside and projection come into play. I mean, Zagunis had a similar (and probably better) stat line, what, like a month ago? Contreras's numbers look great, but there is probably some BABIP luck going on. And he hasn't shown much home run power, either. And he has never done this before. I mean, a 400 PA stretch in AA can lie to you, and has many times in the past. So, you take those numbers with a little grain of salt. That being said, I love what he is doing. His walk and strikeout rates look great. And hitting the ball is important; I would rather a guy do well than not do well.

But people can get excited about guys like Cease because he throws the ball like 98-99 mph, and they get excited about Eloy because he is a freaky physical specimen at such a young age. But Contreras is certainly earning his way into that mix. And if he keeps doing this, people won't still be sleeping on him.

You left out Underwood, who due to his age, scouting report and success at High-A as a 20 year old I would have to rank higher. But other than that, I think you could make a fair argument for ranking Contreras ahead of Johnson, Almora, Dewees and Zagunis (all of whom are ranked ahead of him on MLB at the moment.

The numbers Edwards has put up consistently throughout his minor league career are pretty amazing, so I would have a hard time putting Contreras above him. In fact, consistency is the only knock against Willson right now. And I'm only referring to previous seasons. This guy has been amazingly consistent all year long with hit streaks of 5 (twice), 7 (twice), 10 and his current streak of 12. He's hit well in every month. No slumps at all. But the fact that he's never performed like this at any level before has to be factored in. I think he's for real. A true breakout, but in the case of a tie-breaker, I've got to go with performance history. For me:

Torres

McKinney

Edwards, Jr.

Underwood

Happ

Contreras

Johnson

Almora

If Almora continues his hot 2nd half, he could easily rise up this list. But if Contreras hits well in AAA next season, so could he...

@MRubio52: Stinnett 89-91 with moderate run and poor command. Low 3/4, slider flashes, HS used CH sparingly.

Stat-wise it was a great outing, but that's a pretty sad scouting report for him.

Whatever happened to him sitting mid-90s touching upper-90s that the reports said during his senior year? That's two high round college senior draft picks who's velo dropped after being drafted. Zastryzny and now Stinnett. :(

Guests

I could see an argument for it. He certainly should be in consideration as a top 5 prospect at this point in this organization

@MRubio52: Stinnett 89-91 with moderate run and poor command. Low 3/4, slider flashes, HS used CH sparingly.

Stat-wise it was a great outing, but that's a pretty sad scouting report for him.

Whatever happened to him sitting mid-90s touching upper-90s that the reports said during his senior year? That's two high round college senior draft picks who's velo dropped after being drafted. Zastryzny and now Stinnett. :(

Going from pitching once a week to every 5th day does that to lots of guys.

Guests

Going from pitching once a week to every 5th day does that to lots of guys.

Yep. You see it every year with a lot of pitching prospects recently drafted.