North Side Baseball

Boise Hawks Roster

BOISE HAWKS OPENING DAY 26-MAN ROSTER HAS BEEN RELEASED.

There are four openings for players who sign in the next few days, plus some players on the Hawks Opening Day roster will likely get sent back to Fitch Park to make room for the new draft picks as they get moved up from Fitch Park.

BTW. the player I saw in the Boise post-game on-field meeting yesterday who I thought was an infielder was actually RHP (ex-2B) Joe Zeller (Cubs 2010 28th round pick out of The Master's College). Zeller and Jeff Vigurs (the only other 2010 draft pick on the Boise Opening Day roster) are (were) both college seniors, so they had virtually no leverage. (Northwestern C Chad Noble, U. of Delaware 1B Ryan Cuneo, and Lambuth U. LHP Brent Ebinger are the only other college seniors drafted by the Cubs). NDFA OF Anthony Giansanti (Siena U.) was signed by the Cubs after the draft (Giansanti also is a college senior).

* bats or throws left

# bats both

PITCHERS (15):

Rogelio Carmona

Marcus Hatley

Chris Huseby

Danny Keefe

* Austin Kirk

Corey Martin

* John Mincone

Tarlandus Mitchell

* Marcos Perez

Andres Quezada

Carlos Rojas

Juan Yasser Serrano

Alvaro Sosa (ex-C)

Yao-Lin Wang

Joe Zeller (2010 28th round pick)

CATCHERS (2):

Jose Guevara

* Jeff Vigurs (2010 22nd round pick)

INFIELDERS (5):

# Arismendy Alcantara

* Wes Darvill

* Richard Jones

George Matheus

Brandon May

OUTFIELDERS (4):

Runey Davis

Jesus Morelli

* Kyung-Min Na

* Alvaro Ramirez

Also, OF Cody Shields (broken hand) will almost certainly be placed on the Boise "Inactive List."

http://www.thecubreporter.com/2010/06/14/here-come-hawks-mighty-boise-hawks#comments

Guests
Glad to see Huseby still listed as a pitcher. I was beginning to wonder given the DHing.

Really anxious to see what Alcantara can do.

I'm surprised Alcantara made the team over Ping-Chieh Chen. These are their stats at extended per Arizona Phil:

Arismendy Alcantara: 197/266/299 (117 AB) - age 18

Ping-Chieh Chen: 323/384/343 (99 AB) - age 18 (19 next month)

Guests

Per Arizona Phil, the AZL Cubs roster:

PITCHERS (12):

Eduardo Figueroa

Jesse Ginley

Gian Guzman

* Cody Hams

Alvido Jimenez

Dylan Johnston (ex-OF)

Luis Liria

Hector Mayora

Jadel Mendez

Jose Rosario

* Drew Rundle (ex-OF)

Tzu-An Wang

CATCHERS (3):

* Sergio Burruel

Carlos Romero

* Bobby Wagner (C-1B-3B)

INFIELDERS (4):

# Vismeldy Bieneme (3B-2B)

* Ping Chieh Chen (2B-SS)

# Rafael Disla (SS-2B-3B-LF)

Albert Hernandez (1B-LF)

OUTFIELDERS (3):

Xavier Batista

Melvin Camarena

Blair Springfield (LF-2B-3B-1B)

AZ Phil says the AZL Cubs will play this season at Ho Ho Kam, not Fitch Park.

Guests
Can't wait for some of the draftees to join. On paper, doesn't look like that enticing of a group.

Any thoughts on who might get sent directly to Boise after signing?

The obvious ones are the early-ish college guys and some of the JuCo guys if they sign - Simpson, Gibbs, Ackerman, Szczur, Rhoderick, Jokisch, LePage, Soto, Brooks, Pinckard, Fitzgerald and Cuneo.

Man, they only have 2 2010 draft picks right now.

Can't wait for some of the draftees to join. On paper, doesn't look like that enticing of a group.

The obvious ones are the early-ish college guys and some of the JuCo guys if they sign - Simpson, Gibbs, Ackerman, Szczur, Rhoderick, Jokisch, LePage, Soto, Brooks, Pinckard, Fitzgerald and Cuneo.

Man, they only have 2 2010 draft picks right now.

It's worth pointing out that most signees end up in Arizona for a brief stay shortly after signing. For example, Brett Jackson and DJ LeMahieu spent three games apiece in the AZL last season after they signed.

Glad to see Huseby still listed as a pitcher. I was beginning to wonder given the DHing.

Really anxious to see what Alcantara can do.

I'm surprised Alcantara made the team over Ping-Chieh Chen. These are their stats at extended per Arizona Phil:

Arismendy Alcantara: 197/266/299 (117 AB) - age 18

Ping-Chieh Chen: 323/384/343 (99 AB) - age 18 (19 next month)

I'd guess that part of it is Alcantara's ability at shortstop, since Darvill is likely to move off (although I expect to see him get some time at short) and Matheus, from what I recall right now, projects more as a utility guy. Granted, I don't recall high praise on Alcantara's bat potential either.

Raisin covered the basic gist. I expect most of those guys that sign to get some work in Arizona (doesn't actually have to be a game, could just be some work) before being sent to Boise.

A tad surprised that Giansanti wasn't sent up. I could see him be up there if they want more developmental work for someone. I'll be a tad surprised if most of the college guys that have signed don't get up to Boise sooner or later, and Simpson should be there soon as well.

I'm hoping Harrington gets sent there. He's one of the few intriguing bats that we drafted this year. There are mixed reports on his potential, but he was showing progress this year. Considering his future is likely at 3rd, and the fact that there isn't a 3rd baseman at Boise to block him, that'd be awfully nice.

So ... Top 5 prospects in Boise right now are ... ? I'm not real sure. Obviously, there's going to be change. I imagine it's some combination of Morelli, Serrano, Mincone, Perez, and Kirk. I guess Huseby, Na, and Wang could be in the mix. Did Mincone ever get his velo back to the low 90's?

Scary to think that one of the better bats in Boise may be someone who posted a 35/1 K/BB at Peoria this year.

Guests
So ... Top 5 prospects in Boise right now are ... ? I'm not real sure. Obviously, there's going to be change. I imagine it's some combination of Morelli, Serrano, Mincone, Perez, and Kirk. I guess Huseby, Na, and Wang could be in the mix. Did Mincone ever get his velo back to the low 90's?

Scary to think that one of the better bats in Boise may be someone who posted a 35/1 K/BB at Peoria this year.

I'd say Kirk / Serrano / Morelli / Mincone / Wang.

I believe AZ Phil said Mincone was back in the low 90s.

Although they have not stood out in Mesa, Arismendy Alcantara and Wes Darvill can be added to the mix. Tim Wilken's history is procuring toolsy shortstops and Alcantara/Darvill fit that description. If they pan out is another matter. However, Alcantara showed power, speed and hitting ability last year in the DSL. Darvill was a 5th round pick (from that hotbed of baseball talent: Canada), out of high school, by a scouting director who likes to select college players early. Also, Kyung-Min Na signed for several hundred thousand dollars last year . . . so that must mean something. I do remember Arizona Phil posting comments last year about Na showing good speed, base-running instincts and an aggressive effort in Mesa.

All three players are very young for Boise, they will be 18 for the entire season.

I agree with Raisin's 5 players, but I cannot come up with an order. The prospect level is down at Boise compared with last year. Signed draft choices will have to fill the void.