Jump to content
North Side Baseball

ToolDRT

Old-Timey Member
  • Posts

    949
  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won

    2

 Content Type 

Profiles

Joomla Posts 1

Chicago Cubs Videos

Chicago Cubs Free Agent & Trade Rumors, Notes, & Tidbits

2026 Chicago Cubs Top Prospects Ranking

News

2023 Chicago Cubs Draft Picks

Guides & Resources

2024 Chicago Cubs Draft Picks

The Chicago Cubs Players Project

2025 Chicago Cubs Draft Pick Tracker

2026 Chicago Cubs Draft Tracker: Picks & Bonuses

Blogs

Events

Forums

Store

Gallery

Everything posted by ToolDRT

  1. I mostly agree with the direction you’re going, but I think the real inflection point here is usage context, not just pitch diversity. The Cubs’ recent acquisitions suggest they’re prioritizing shape separation and tunneling efficiency more than raw unpredictability for its own sake. A high-velo 4-seam paired with a true splitter does create vertical separation, but only if the release consistency holds up under leverage. The question for me is whether his splitter actually plays as a bat-misser at the MLB level or if it’s more contact-management driven. If it’s the latter, I’m not sure it meaningfully moves the needle compared to what they already have. That said, the WHIP profile is hard to ignore, especially if it’s supported by weak-contact metrics rather than BABIP luck. I also wouldn’t underestimate age curve here. If the Cubs see him as a short-term volatility stabilizer rather than a long-term bullpen anchor, the fit makes more sense. Giants feel like the obvious fallback, but Chicago has been quietly willing to bet on pitch-mix upside lately, even if the surface numbers don’t jump off the page. So yeah — not a lock, but if they’re optimizing for diversity + cost efficiency, I can see the logic.
  2. Yeah, I guess for age it’s contextual. I’m not worried about where we were as far as average team age last year comparatively. We did have some older bullpen guys that may have skewed it a little, as well as Justin Turner. But we have plenty of younger guys as well. We weren’t made up of dinosaurs by any stretch of the imagination. If your core is all out of their prime, not producing and you have no farm system then that’s one thing. But we’re not even close to that. If you’re talking about per player as in peak? Obviously you’d always like to buy guys slightly before they hit their prime or during it. But it’s important to look at the player as a whole as well. Guys age differently. Depends on many different factors. If you’re strictly paying for speed that will age differently than their power profile. For the cubs specifically, I think they need to be less concerned about value and more concerned with using the advantages they have. We’re not a small market team. We have to use our top asset which is our financial upside. Kyle Tucker should be a good example of that. You give him a 10 year deal and the odds are you’re gonna be hating that deal in year 9 or 10. But when you have the financial resources we have it shouldn’t matter. We can have a contract age poorly and still spend on other players. Thats the maddening thing about the combination of Ricketts and Hoyer. Ricketts is a cheap liar. And Hoyer is obsessed with getting value out of every dollar spent. As to win a World Series? It’s a crapshoot once you get in. We could fall into a win next year. Having said that, I think you should try and field the best regular season team every year and hope the law of averages hit during the playoffs. I don’t think any teams goal should be to field an 88 win wild card team and see what happens come postseason time. I think every team should be aiming to win the division. Control what you can control and roll the dice after that. Welcome to the forum!
  3. Genuine. I still think you might be trolling, but either way I’m enjoying reading your posts. But I watch Frasier every night before bed and am pretentious myself so…
  4. …I love him. This is the most fun I’ve had on a message board in years. Please stay!
  5. To me, this seems like an obvious troll attempt. Reading only one post and quickly glancing at his profile seems to back that up. I think we should all just laugh and move on.
  6. This is very inaccurate, and by that I mean totally accurate!
  7. Winter meetings just not as exciting as they used to be. Can’t really blame the cubs for that one. Personally, I hope one day more draft picks become tradeable. I think that would spice things up.
  8. I’m riding this train as well.
  9. Saw that the Red Sox are making Bregman a “priority”. Curious where Bichette winds up if the jays sign Tucker and the Sox sign Bregman.
  10. Seems like Imai might be their top target and they’re gonna wait on that before making any other big moves. Hopefully it won’t drag too long If Tucker gets 250mil and the cubs weren’t involved I’m done with this team. That’s insane.
  11. I saw some people mention Marte, did he have clubhouse issues or am I thinking of someone else?
  12. This might do it
  13. Remember, we have to save about 30 mil for in season trades that Jed will later claim were too steep in price to finalize.
  14. Definitely agree with you on the first part.
  15. I mean, I think it’s better when a team that’s willing to spend wins. Big market teams have their own advantages. Can’t blame them for using it.
  16. I like the way the dodgers work. I wish they would pay me to be a fan of theirs.
  17. I would have taken anyone other than Hoyer. I have an irrational hated for him 😬
  18. I’d be fine signing Bregman and trading Shaw for Gore. Kinda sad we can’t do Imai and still go for a big bat in free agency. Not surprising though.
  19. Hoping for Imani, bracing for Gallen.
  20. Yeah, most likely. If we’re out on Tucker (and it seems we are) I’d prefer to spend more on the rotation at this point.
  21. Cubs interested in Suarez. Not sure where to post
  22. Yeah, I liked the Bregman fit last year when it seemed his market cratered and we just acquired Tucker. Don’t really want him on a 6 year deal at this point.
  23. Can we get a winter meetings thread going? Would be easier during work hours to read one thread instead of checking for new ones…
×
×
  • Create New...