Jump to content
North Side Baseball

CaliforniaRaisin

Community Moderator
  • Posts

    34,651
  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won

    23

 Content Type 

Profiles

Joomla Posts 1

Chicago Cubs Videos

Chicago Cubs Free Agent & Trade Rumors, Notes, & Tidbits

2026 Chicago Cubs Top Prospects Ranking

News

2023 Chicago Cubs Draft Picks

Guides & Resources

2024 Chicago Cubs Draft Picks

The Chicago Cubs Players Project

2025 Chicago Cubs Draft Pick Tracker

2026 Chicago Cubs Draft Tracker: Picks & Bonuses

Blogs

Events

Forums

Store

Gallery

Everything posted by CaliforniaRaisin

  1. It's mostly the minor leaguers who are struggling here. Hope so, but last time I checked, Ohman isn't a minor leaguer. Certainly not, but the rest are (Mateo, Anderson). And it is Ohman's first outing in the Cactus League, I think. I generally don't pay much attention to pitchers' first few appearances in ST.
  2. Overall: 22.1 IP, 4 GS, 5 ER, 18 H, 24 K/9 BB, 2 HR, 2.02 ERA, 1.21 WHIP
  3. 5 IP, 4 ER, 6 H, 6 K/5 BB, 2 HR And it was against East Carolina.
  4. Thanks CCP. It's mostly the minor leaguers who are struggling here.
  5. Can't seem to get closer than 3 though... ETA: And the moment I post that, Griffin(!) makes it a 1-pt game.
  6. It seemed like his walk rate was going up until Dusty came along. He basically had one semi-decent year under Joshua. Even when he went off in Winter ball last year he never walked. Dusty's philosphy may have been coincedentially related to Ronny making the big club. Ronny is a pretty free swinging player. Which season are you referring to with Joshua? He was with Von in 2004 (.279/.328/.401). He had better seasons without Von in 2001 in Mesa (.350/.398/.466) and 2005 in Iowa (.355/.403/.518).
  7. It's not an article. It generally is a little blurb on the side of their top-10 writeups and just is a little add-on. The top-10s and the "best ..." are the best and most important things in these segments.
  8. Who sees the mound in the first week of Cactus League games has little to do with who is making the roster. Teams barely have enough arms with them to make it through all the games as it is. And Cherry has no chance at all of making the team. Lou said he had a chance of making the team. Still, it's pretty unlikely that Cherry will make the team unless there are some injuries in the pen. But either way, Mateo needs to get stretched out - he will be starting at Iowa. AAA guys generally get stretched out with the big league team, especially this early in spring training. The talk about Cherry wasn't an endorsement one way or the other. I've never even seen him pitch. It was noteworthy because Lou mentioned it today in his pregame show. The MiL guys will get their chance to be stretched as soon as the rosters thin out. They promised to make the next cuts around March 10th. If they were really hoping to stretch all of the starters (Ml & MiL) why didn't Samardzija get two innings? I'm just venturing a guess but it might be because Samardzija will likely be a first cut to the minors guy. Mateo is likely to stick around longer with the big league team.
  9. It's Jason Anderson. He better not be more than a seldom used reliever in the minors.
  10. Who sees the mound in the first week of Cactus League games has little to do with who is making the roster. Teams barely have enough arms with them to make it through all the games as it is. And Cherry has no chance at all of making the team. Lou said he had a chance of making the team. Still, it's pretty unlikely that Cherry will make the team unless there are some injuries in the pen. But either way, Mateo needs to get stretched out - he will be starting at Iowa. AAA guys generally get stretched out with the big league team, especially this early in spring training.
  11. It's spring training for the umps too. Oh never mind, umps suck.
  12. I guess it's because I'm anxious to see how the team is really going to perform. I have no problem giving a Minor League guy an inning but I didn't see the need for two. They had the chance to make it a successful outing for him by possibly limiting his innings (especially looking at the upcoming lineup). Mateo should be at AAA, but he'll be in the big leagues at some point during the season and might even start. That doesn't mean he's ready right now and, more importantly, he's not going to start for us... He's still raw but I do agree that he could probably be a 5th starter right now. As such (and given his pitching in the big leagues last season), I see no problem with him getting 2 innings in a ST game. I disagree and it's based on our starters getting two innings. I understand the Cubs wanting to reward their young guys with an inning but more than that is too much for me unless they are interested in moving him. On a similar note, Lou said, in the pregame show, that Rocky Cherry had a chance to make the team as a bullpen arm. I don't think they are giving the same consideration for Mateo. So who would you like to see pitch instead? Someone like John Webb get more innings? Hill isn't going to get extended more than 2. I'm sure Mateo has a chance to make the team since he logged about 45 innings on the big league squad last year.
  13. Exactly-pretty much all the starting hitters have been decent so far (the only one that hasn't been good is Ramirez), and the pitchers who will be on the roster have been good as well-it's been many of the other pitchers who have struggled. Ramirez will continue to struggle till the end of May. If he has a second half like he did last year, I'll take him being terrible until the end of May :D I won't. You don't pay all-stars to show up two months into the season when you might arleady be burried in the standings. They need to play consistent throughout the season. A la Ryno back in the day. Aramis has started slow each of the last two seasons, but still has been the best hitter on the team 2 of the past 3 seasons and worth the money he earns.
  14. Soriano is having a great game. Brenly pimping Murt at the 2-spot.
  15. I guess it's because I'm anxious to see how the team is really going to perform. I have no problem giving a Minor League guy an inning but I didn't see the need for two. They had the chance to make it a successful outing for him by possibly limiting his innings (especially looking at the upcoming lineup). Mateo should be at AAA, but he'll be in the big leagues at some point during the season and might even start. That doesn't mean he's ready right now and, more importantly, he's not going to start for us... He's still raw but I do agree that he could probably be a 5th starter right now. As such (and given his pitching in the big leagues last season), I see no problem with him getting 2 innings in a ST game.
  16. I guess it's because I'm anxious to see how the team is really going to perform. I have no problem giving a Minor League guy an inning but I didn't see the need for two. They had the chance to make it a successful outing for him by possibly limiting his innings (especially looking at the upcoming lineup). Mateo should be at AAA, but he'll be in the big leagues at some point during the season and might even start.
  17. Exactly-pretty much all the starting hitters have been decent so far (the only one that hasn't been good is Ramirez), and the pitchers who will be on the roster have been good as well-it's been many of the other pitchers who have struggled. Ramirez will continue to struggle till the end of May.
×
×
  • Create New...