Jump to content
North Side Baseball

CaliforniaRaisin

Community Moderator
  • Posts

    34,651
  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won

    23

 Content Type 

Profiles

Joomla Posts 1

Chicago Cubs Videos

Chicago Cubs Free Agent & Trade Rumors, Notes, & Tidbits

2026 Chicago Cubs Top Prospects Ranking

News

2023 Chicago Cubs Draft Picks

Guides & Resources

2024 Chicago Cubs Draft Picks

The Chicago Cubs Players Project

2025 Chicago Cubs Draft Pick Tracker

2026 Chicago Cubs Draft Tracker: Picks & Bonuses

Blogs

Events

Forums

Store

Gallery

Everything posted by CaliforniaRaisin

  1. You aren't following. I'm saying they knew of his as a big-time draft prospect. Which you apparently didn't. How can you exaggerate and use the word literally in a sentence. Think about that for a minute. Quinn being No. 1 before the draft proves that pre-work out draft boards are meaningless. Because Russell wasn't on them at some arbitrary point during the season doesn't mean that scouts were sleeping on him and he just skyrocketed out of nowhere. Exactly. Soul, I can't believe you compared Navarre to JMR. I made the comparison because IMB based his big-time status on those physical attributes. So what? Make a better argument next time for why Russell's a big-time prospect. Russell has done a whole lot more on the field, against much tougher opponents. JMR was on scouts' radars before this season - he was earmarked as a likely first rounder all season. Oh, and for the record, I think Quinn will have a better NFL career and I would have taken Calvin Johnson with the first pick overall. But, JMR didn't just come out of nowhere because of the Sugar Bowl (and he didn't need the workouts to become the top overall pick as you said earlier). Alright. That's why I asked for a definition of big time prospect. To me, players drafted late in the 1st round are generally not big time prospects. And BTW, there's always many more than 32 players who are considered "1st round picks" each year by someone or another. So that just doesn't have a lot of meaning for me. Here's the problem - and the thing IMB! has been harking on for a while now and you just touched on it - it's too early before January. JMR was definitely on the scouts' radars and didn't come from nowhere. By the time the Sugar Bowl had come around, he had definitely become a first round pick...he was still below Quinn, but it wasn't a surprise that he was there. In terms of a "big time prospect" (pretty tough to define), I think a potential first rounder with the skill set of JMR has to be considered a big time prospect because those skills can easily help him move up a lot.
  2. And how much of that was due to the talent at LSU? I'm guessing a lot. I'm not saying Russell would have been trash otherwise but he wouldn't be anywhere near the prospect he is if he switched spots with Quinn. The talent at LSU was miles ahead of the talent at Notre Dame the last couple years. Umm, we're comparing JMR to John Navarre of an equally talented Michigan teams. Not talking about ND here.
  3. I like Harrell as a prospect. Woulda gone higher if he wasn't hurt.
  4. You aren't following. I'm saying they knew of his as a big-time draft prospect. Which you apparently didn't. How can you exaggerate and use the word literally in a sentence. Think about that for a minute. Quinn being No. 1 before the draft proves that pre-work out draft boards are meaningless. Because Russell wasn't on them at some arbitrary point during the season doesn't mean that scouts were sleeping on him and he just skyrocketed out of nowhere. Exactly. Soul, I can't believe you compared Navarre to JMR. I made the comparison because IMB based his big-time status on those physical attributes. So what? Make a better argument next time for why Russell's a big-time prospect. Russell has done a whole lot more on the field, against much tougher opponents. JMR was on scouts' radars before this season - he was earmarked as a likely first rounder all season. Oh, and for the record, I think Quinn will have a better NFL career and I would have taken Calvin Johnson with the first pick overall. But, JMR didn't just come out of nowhere because of the Sugar Bowl (and he didn't need the workouts to become the top overall pick as you said earlier).
  5. You aren't following. I'm saying they knew of his as a big-time draft prospect. Which you apparently didn't. How can you exaggerate and use the word literally in a sentence. Think about that for a minute. Quinn being No. 1 before the draft proves that pre-work out draft boards are meaningless. Because Russell wasn't on them at some arbitrary point during the season doesn't mean that scouts were sleeping on him and he just skyrocketed out of nowhere. Exactly. Soul, I can't believe you compared Navarre to JMR.
  6. I prefer Revis, cover-2 teams definitely would.
  7. JMR didn't become a top pick because of his workout because of his draft, though that solidified it. He became the top QB in the draft because of the Sugar Bowl. Sure, he was rated highly before hand but he was probably a second round pick before the Sugar Bowl. If Russell faces a good defense in the Sugar Bowl like Quinn did rather than a high school defense, he wouldn't be talked about right now as the best quarterback in the draft and would be one of the guys, along with Stanton and Edwards, who would be a good second round pick. I guess we're going to have to agree to disagree on this. He was a first rounder all season and had become a top-10 pick before the Sugar Bowl, from what I have read (and had read at the time). These guys don't just go from the second round to #1 overall pick in one game.
  8. Is this the first draft you've ever watched? That's the way these things work, that's the way they're supposed to work. The point remains, you said he was "literally nowhere" before his last couple games, and that's completely false. Anyone who follows college football knew who he was and could see his talent when he stepped on the field his freshman year. That kind of arm doesn't go unnoticed. I like how you've changed your point from "completely nowhere" to "not a top-10 pick" by the way. I like how you keep harping on it, even though I explained what I meant. Plenty of QBs have a 10-ton arm, doesn't mean they're the #1 pick. There will be great players drafted on the 2nd day, that's not even the subject of the discussion. Nothing that you just said has anything to do with our discussion at all. He's been a big time prospect for a long time, of course he wasn't the No. 1 pick before the Sugar Bowl, no one was, these things take time to get decided. You're proving complete ignorance here. Define "Big Time Prospect" then. The second JMR got to college, many had him pegged as a first rounder 3-4 years later. This happens to a lot of the top recruits as they enroll at college, especially a big name college with a good coaching staff.
  9. Wow, that was a steep price.
  10. Revis, imo.
  11. Corner, I'd think.
  12. I'd definitely take Wieters. I thought so, Callis comments dont make much sense to me. I hope Wieters does fall to us. I guess it all comes down to what KC does with that 2nd pick. Callis is just guessing.
  13. Well at least someone remembers the past 4-5 months the way I do. This is COMPLETELY different from what you said earlier.
  14. You must not pay much attention to college football, Russell has been on people's radars since his freshman year. Not anywhere near where he went. Not even close to that level. Read what you wrote again, please. You said he was "literally nowhere" until his last couple games, which is completely untrue. I don't even know where you pulled that from, unless you just like playing expert. What you said was completely false. He was nowhere in terms of top 10. If you think he would have gone top 10 without the Sugar Bowl and his workout, you are sorely mistaken. What the hell? He was a top-10 pick before the Sugar Bowl. There's a reason the Sugar Bowl was looked at as a battle to go number one overall before the game (not retroactively). JaMarcus Russell had become a top-10 pick during the regular season. What you're saying is that JaMarcus needed a good workout and a good game to get him where he was...we can say that about EVERY player drafted. Dude, there's just no way. Russell wasn't even CLOSE to a top-10, Big-time prospect before the bowl season. Not one chance in hell. He's a workout pick, there's just no way around that. At all. Were you looking at scouting reports and mock drafts before the bowl season? Obviously not.
  15. You must not pay much attention to college football, Russell has been on people's radars since his freshman year. Not anywhere near where he went. Not even close to that level. Read what you wrote again, please. You said he was "literally nowhere" until his last couple games, which is completely untrue. I don't even know where you pulled that from, unless you just like playing expert. What you said was completely false. He was nowhere in terms of top 10. If you think he would have gone top 10 without the Sugar Bowl and his workout, you are sorely mistaken. What the hell? He was a top-10 pick before the Sugar Bowl. There's a reason the Sugar Bowl was looked at as a battle to go number one overall before the game (not retroactively). JaMarcus Russell had become a top-10 pick during the regular season. What you're saying is that JaMarcus needed a good workout and a good game to get him where he was...we can say that about EVERY player drafted. Without that Sugar Bowl, either Quinn or Calvin Johnson is wearing silver and black, and not only is Russell still on the board, but nobody is talking about him as a steal at this point like Quinn is. Russell was a top-10 pick before the Sugar Bowl. And big whoop that JaMarcus used a big game to boost himself into the top pick overall...most players use big games to boost their status. Soul's original point was that JMR was the top pick because of his workout. That's false. He was the odd's on favorite for the top pick after the Sugar Bowl. JMR was considered a top-10 pick before the Sugar Bowl. He was considered a first rounder all season. He didn't come out of nowhere, as Soul claims. He did use the Sugar Bowl to get to the first pick overall and cement his status there with his workouts.
  16. Brady Quinn is losing $1.5 million with every first round pick he falls. Wow!
  17. You must not pay much attention to college football, Russell has been on people's radars since his freshman year. Not anywhere near where he went. Not even close to that level. Read what you wrote again, please. You said he was "literally nowhere" until his last couple games, which is completely untrue. I don't even know where you pulled that from, unless you just like playing expert. What you said was completely false. He was nowhere in terms of top 10. If you think he would have gone top 10 without the Sugar Bowl and his workout, you are sorely mistaken. What the hell? He was a top-10 pick before the Sugar Bowl. There's a reason the Sugar Bowl was looked at as a battle to go number one overall before the game (not retroactively). JaMarcus Russell had become a top-10 pick during the regular season. What you're saying is that JaMarcus needed a good workout and a good game to get him where he was...we can say that about EVERY player drafted.
  18. MARSHAWN!
  19. He's definitely doing much better than last season against the SEC. No way he'd fall to 3 now. :(
  20. Russell became the #1 pick because of the Sugar Bowl. He was a top-10 pick most all season.
  21. Someone might trade up.
  22. Ted Ginn? Wtf. Andy should be happy with Quinn going to the Panthers.
  23. Many young guys (HS picks) end up there to start their first full pro season. Agreed. If he does well he should play for Boise later in the year. Actually, I'll be rather disappointed if he and Cliff Andersen don't end up in Boise this season.
  24. Atlanta looks like a big roadblock. Never mind. A bit surprised they didn't take Okoye.
×
×
  • Create New...