Jump to content
North Side Baseball

SeldomSeen

Old-Timey Member
  • Posts

    940
  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won

    1

 Content Type 

Profiles

Joomla Posts 1

Chicago Cubs Videos

Chicago Cubs Free Agent & Trade Rumors, Notes, & Tidbits

2026 Chicago Cubs Top Prospects Ranking

News

2023 Chicago Cubs Draft Picks

Guides & Resources

2024 Chicago Cubs Draft Picks

The Chicago Cubs Players Project

2025 Chicago Cubs Draft Pick Tracker

2026 Chicago Cubs Draft Tracker: Picks & Bonuses

Blogs

Events

Forums

Store

Gallery

Everything posted by SeldomSeen

  1. After the Eyre signing, there seems to be confusion about how much is left in the bank for next year. The following is a quick list of guys already under contract with some guesswork at arby figures. Feel free to correct or add anything I may have missed. If these #s are correct, it looks as though there is about $20-$25M to round out the roster (assuming $100-105M payroll). You're the GM- how do you spend it? Bench: Blanco $1.50 Hairston $2.00 Perez $2.50 ??? ??? Infield: Cedeno $0.30 Ramirez $10.50 Lee $8.70 Barrett $4.00 Walker $2.50 Outfield: Murton $0.30 Patterson $3.00 ??? Pen: Dempster $5.00 Willamson $2.00 Wuertz $0.33 Ohman $0.33 Novoa $0.33 Eyre $3.60 Starters Prior $3.50 Zambrano $5.00 Wood $12.50 Maddux $9.00 Rusch $2.50 Williams $1.00 Total $81.39 Edit: Williamson $2M
  2. Kap and Waddle just mentioned this rumor, and said that while the Cubs are definitely interested in Pierre, nothing is imminent. Probably go down in the next 10 minutes.:wink:
  3. My first game. Sat in the left/centerfield bleachers and watched Dave Martinez make a diving catch right in front of us. What a blast.
  4. cough**jasonduboisbandwgn**cough, cough :P
  5. that's pretty funny considering your moniker. :lol: Well played. =D>
  6. Many of us see acquiring one or both as a forgone conclusion, so... who's first? If you vote neither, who do you think will be the newest Cub?
  7. CF Pierre SS Furcal 1B Lee 3B Ramirez 2B Soriano RF Jones LF Murton C Barrett
  8. I can't believe I have to keep doing this: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v621/afrantz/ortiz.jpghttp://img.photobucket.com/albums/v621/afrantz/images.jpg End of discussion.
  9. Throw in Cabrera and it's a deal. :D
  10. I'm sure I'll catch nine kinds of hell for this one, but I really dislike J.D. Drew. Most of my others have been covered: Oswalt, Morris, Edmonds...
  11. Cheap yes, valuable no. Number four and five pitchers are a dime a dozen, unless they are left handed. Besides, if the are cheap and valuable why not keep the money and trade the guys anyway? Pitching is not this team's problem? I can think up a number of reasons why this is a bad. It just doesn't make any sense to me. 9th best ERA in the NL isn't a problem? Good joke. It wasn't a joke, asshat. Pitching isn't this team's problem and even if it is Burnett isn't that good and is often injured. Let's not get carried away here. Probably should have said "relatively valuable," but valuable nonetheless. Also, unless I'm mistaken, both Hill and Rusch are lefthanded and cheap. I think Hill might have some value but the Cubs cannot trade Rusch until June or something b/c he just signed with them (without his permission). Sign and trade deals are verboten in MLB> Understood, but if Patterson is given the first half to improve his worth, there is another option at the deadline with Rusch, Hill, and/or Williams. Dealing from depth is never a bad thing.
  12. Cheap yes, valuable no. Number four and five pitchers are a dime a dozen, unless they are left handed. Besides, if the are cheap and valuable why not keep the money and trade the guys anyway? Pitching is not this team's problem? I can think up a number of reasons why this is a bad. It just doesn't make any sense to me. 9th best ERA in the NL isn't a problem? Good joke. It wasn't a joke, asshat. Pitching isn't this team's problem and even if it is Burnett isn't that good and is often injured. Let's not get carried away here. Hmmm.
  13. Cheap yes, valuable no. Number four and five pitchers are a dime a dozen, unless they are left handed. Besides, if the are cheap and valuable why not keep the money and trade the guys anyway? Pitching is not this team's problem? I can think up a number of reasons why this is a bad. It just doesn't make any sense to me. 9th best ERA in the NL isn't a problem? Good joke. It wasn't a joke, asshat. Pitching isn't this team's problem and even if it is Burnett isn't that good and is often injured. Let's not get carried away here. Probably should have said "relatively valuable," but valuable nonetheless. Also, unless I'm mistaken, both Hill and Rusch are lefthanded and cheap.
  14. 4/40 mil is probably what it would take. I bet he gets more $ then Pavano. I'll go 4/44. Me too. 4/55 is my geuss. Almost 14mil? No way anybody signs him for that. I think the 4th year will be a lot of cash and possible buyout. This is a very lean year for free agents and I think that Burnett is about to take advantage of that. He's a better pitcher than Pavano too. Yeah, in retospect I should have said 4/48. Just something to keep in mind. Imagine having that 3mil Rusch just got and put that towards Burnett. 10 mil or 13 mill a year it wouldn't matter. If this is indeed true why in the heck did we sign Rusch? It makes no freaking sense. Becuase: A>Hendry loves redundency B>Becuase neither Wood nor Burnett will last a whole season, so he figues why not let each pitch 1/2 a season C>He plumb forgot he just signed Rusch My vote is C D>Hendry knows he may not get a guy like Giles through FA, but now would have a stockpile of cheap, valuable trading chips to make an OF trade.
  15. Please don't use "shot in the arm" and "Angel Guzman" in the same sentence. [-X I'm just a little superstitious.
  16. This is exactly the deal that I thought of when hearing about the alleged interest in Pierre. If I'm not mistaken, Castillo and Pierre are comparable $$$ wise. If Hendry's true motive is to improve the D, then Castillo surely fits the bill. I'm not saying he's a lot better than Walker offensively, especially for the salary, but I'd much rather have him than Soriano. Also, in this case Corey is given the opportunity to show something during the first half, and can be used in a deadline deal if need be. Interesting in a lot of ways. Edit: I was looking at salaries a few days ago with a move like this, and I believe it would also leave money for a Burnett/ Millwood type. I'll see what I can find when I get home tonight. (unless someone else wants to do it before then)
  17. Whoa. The line for Corey bashing usually forms right behind me, but this is a bit much. The fact that he is going at all should tell you something about his "mindset." He's a professional athlete for goodness sakes. I'm sure he doesn't enjoy being awful at the plate. Let him go work on it, show up early for spring training- again, and let the winter play out. At least there is an effort to improve.
  18. Does anyone think that the Yankees may be giving him the "Sammy Treatment" in the press; enough to push an already unhappy fan base to the point of seeing him out the door? There clearly is the "he's not a real Yankee" sentiment among some fans. Is this possibly a way of pushing him out? Not sure what the Yanks would have to gain other than salary relief, though, and they sure can afford to keep him around.
  19. Far from it, but we do see things a bit differently more often than not.
  20. I also think a lot of Yankees-haters don't appreciate how good Jeter actually is. Overrated? Sure. Great? Yes. Most overrated player of all time? God no. What he said. (God, I can't believe I'm agreeing with Rocket):P
  21. Is it possible that the light has come on for Hendry regarding OBP? If we're throwing around the #'s, surely someone, somewhere, has called them to his attention. Please God, let this be the case. He's probably talking about Defense... I guess I've never seen him use the P word before in reference to making changes.This is one instance where he didn't mention injuries as the main culprit. I'm still optimistic this early in the offseason, as they haven't yet had the opportunity to crush our hopes. Keep your fingers crossed.
  22. Dare I say that I'm encouraged by Hendry's quote in Bruce Miles' latest offering? Is it possible that the light has come on for Hendry regarding OBP? If we're throwing around the #'s, surely someone, somewhere, has called them to his attention. Please God, let this be the case.
  23. I'm I the only one who thinks this Sun Sentinal writer just didn't notice that the staff was all signed to a one year deal. It seemed to me like that guarenteed Dusty his job this year, too. I would put the odds of the Tribune bringing back Dusty's staff, and then firing Dusty at 10,000:1 I think the implication is that Girardi may be waiting for next offseason for Dusty to be let go (i.e. when his contract expires, along with all of his coaches contracts as well), not that Girardi is waiting for something to happen any sooner than that. I'd say that's about right: From today's Sun-Sentinel... One can dream, I guess.
  24. It also looks like vintage/ old time video when Ol' Fat Elvis is running the bases. He's a dead ringer for the babe on the basepaths.
×
×
  • Create New...