Jump to content
North Side Baseball

gflore34

Old-Timey Member
  • Posts

    10,343
  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won

    7

 Content Type 

Profiles

Joomla Posts 1

Chicago Cubs Videos

Chicago Cubs Free Agent & Trade Rumors, Notes, & Tidbits

2026 Chicago Cubs Top Prospects Ranking

News

2023 Chicago Cubs Draft Picks

Guides & Resources

2024 Chicago Cubs Draft Picks

The Chicago Cubs Players Project

2025 Chicago Cubs Draft Pick Tracker

2026 Chicago Cubs Draft Tracker: Picks & Bonuses

Blogs

Events

Forums

Store

Gallery

Everything posted by gflore34

  1. I'm with you on this one. The infield is solid when Nomar is healthy. Keep him. We'll be able to get him for significantly less. Plus, both Nomar and Mia love Chicago. They are building a house in the suburbs right this second. Keep Cedeno as a back up and dump Neifi onto someone else. If no one wants Neifi, leave him as the backup, and let Cedeno get some AB in the minors. Outfield is where we need help. Burnitz has been our only consistent OF all year. I'm not against resigning him. Holly has to go. He's like Neifi, he "saved us" for about a month, but other than that, his offensive production has been horrible. And it's pointless to keep him around with Murton in the majors, and Lawton possibly being a Cub next year. Cubs need to agressively pursue a solid center fielder, and get all the bullpen help they can. I know today's baseball player has a different mentality but, if there ever was an example of player being in debt to team Garciapparra is it. He should basically take whatever the Cubs are willing to offer.
  2. Being a Cub fan I, of course, loathe the White Sox however, I'd like to see them win the World Series this year. As a former Chicagoan (born and raised) I can say without reservation that no MLB City on Earth deserves a WS more than Chicago. Ideally it would be our Cubs bringing a WS to Chicago but, here's hoping the White Sox can pull it off for Chicago this year. PS I do have some doubts as whether or not the White Sox are the AL's best team this year. There's no doubting they've had and are having the best Regular Season but, the Post Season is an entirely different animal. Having witnessed, save for the 1985 Bears and 90's Bulls, so many Seasons and Post Seasons blow up for Chicago Sports Teams, my doubts are understandable. I keep thinking the Red Sox and/or Angels may be the AL's best then, there's the precedent of 1983 when White Sox ran away with a very weak AL West, had the best AL's Regular Season but, lost to the AL's best team that year the Orioles.
  3. If the Cubs move Wood we all know how that story will play out - 1. Given the uncertainty of his injury status they'll get little in return. 2. The team that took the "chance" in trading for Wood will be rewarded with 30 starts/year for the next 8-10 years. Over the course of these 8-10 years Wood will win 20+ games several times and a Cy Young or two. 3. The player or players the Cubs received in return will be released within 2 years. Call me selfish but, I'd like to see the Cubs keep Wood. I'd rather watch him struggle to maintain health and the Cubs continue to take what they can get from him in the hopes that some season they get 30 starts from him.
  4. Here's to a win tonight!
  5. Lawton was never the answer. He was a mild upgrade asked to be a spark, with everyone expecting nomar and wood getting back to be the real spark. Of course Nomar sitting kills any spark he might bring, and wood in the bullpen isn't exactly awe inspiring... I didn't expect him to be the spark however, I thought he might work the pitcher a little more Hairston and Patterson. But putting on that Cub uniform, playing for Dusty Baker, means you swing at anything and everything I guess. 3 AB - 3 pitches
  6. Has Mr OBP Matt Lawton managed to work a pitcher to a full count as a Cub yet?
  7. Baker doesn't really care about winning anymore for, no Manager who truely wishes to win would start all of Perez, Macias and Hollandsworth. After yesterday, no way should Macias be in CF today yet, there he is furthermore, Barrett should have been benched after the half-hearted attempt.
  8. I personally have the expectation that if the Cubs play a game as crappy as the one they just played, the game thread will almost always belong in rants at the end. Why? Because each single game tells us how the next one is likely to go? How the rest of the season is going to go? No, because when the Cubs play like crap everyone sits in the game thread and bitches about them. No, not everyone, only the ones that can't see the forest for the trees... Look, I know you think I'm unrealistic here. I don't really care. If you want me to stop posting in game threads because I'm depressing you, just say so. No, I don't want you to stop posting in game threads or any other for that matter. And I don't know why you think that I would. Just because someone calls your opinion unbalanced towards the negative doesn't mean that they want you to stop saying it. If there is anything I do want is for you to acknowledge that your opinions expressed in the last few pages of this thread were in fact not balanced out by any of the positives about the Cubs, thats all. But I certainly don't expect that to happen. please name the positives. This should be good...
  9. My thoughts exactlly, if they're going to contiue to play in this manner they'll finish well below .500 and Baker is gone.
  10. That is simply pathetic. What's worse is it came against essentially a batting pratice pitcher, tune in tomorrow night to watch Nomar go a feeble 0-4, 3 GO and weak liner to 2b!
  11. Why not go up there and take every pitch Walker?! I don't believe this clown could throw three K's before he threw 4 balls.
  12. Whereas I agree that you have a lot of very good reasons to have that opinion, it is still just an opinion. To call it a fact, and a simple one at that, is just inaccurate. Regardless of the outcome its highly probable that neither of these teams is going to come remotely close to the playoffs. Does that get the Good Housekeeping Seal of Approval?
  13. Regardless of the outcome the simple fact is neither of these teams is going to come remotely close to the playoffs.
  14. That same pitch was called a strike on Perez!!!!!!!!
  15. That'll work it if Welke is consistent however, with his floating strike zone probably not.
  16. So how many pitches does it take BP Seo to retire the Cubs 1-2-3 this inning? I'm going with 13.
  17. Leave it to Maddux to get their first hit vs this BP pitcher!
  18. Surprised that wasn't called a ball as well...
  19. I'm biased of course but, that was strike 3, I guarentee at some point in the game Seo will get that very same pitch!!!!
  20. Brenly, he knew form day 1 that a 1-2 of Patterson-Perez was the worst possible 1-2 the Cubs could put out there. Of course, that's not saying much, my 3 year old son knew it wasn't a good idea as well.
  21. Wouldn't it be something if the Cubs(as the only other team in WC contention) go into that last series of the season trailing the Astros by 3 games and sweep it?
  22. Fantastic! I agree with most posts, he was huge disappointment, never performed up to what he was paid. And most importantly its one less pitcher for Dusty to misuse!
  23. From the end of the article: The players know the fundamentals. Getting them to perform them is another story. Baker said it's up to the catcher to remind them to cover first. "Most of the time when you [goof] up something, it's something you've done over and over and over again," Baker said. "You take it for granted that you know it already. You just have to remind them. Those were very simple, fundamental mistakes. "Maybe it was contagious last night." The catcher has to remind the pitchers to cover first? That's akin to my manager reminding me, a database programmer, to login prior to running a database query. Now I know why so players would love to play for Dusty. What other Manager will allow them to make the same mistakes over and over yet, defend them and make excuses as to why the mistakes are made?
×
×
  • Create New...