Jump to content
North Side Baseball

CubinNY

Old-Timey Member
  • Posts

    27,840
  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won

    24

 Content Type 

Profiles

Joomla Posts 1

Chicago Cubs Videos

Chicago Cubs Free Agent & Trade Rumors, Notes, & Tidbits

2026 Chicago Cubs Top Prospects Ranking

News

2023 Chicago Cubs Draft Picks

Guides & Resources

2024 Chicago Cubs Draft Picks

The Chicago Cubs Players Project

2025 Chicago Cubs Draft Pick Tracker

2026 Chicago Cubs Draft Tracker: Picks & Bonuses

Blogs

Events

Forums

Store

Gallery

Everything posted by CubinNY

  1. Does it look to you like Lilly, Marquis, and Hill have an incompetent pitching coach? Because they have the same pitching coach Zambrano has. Yes If the seasons Hill, Lilly, and Marquis are having this year are due to an "incompetent" pitching coach, give me incompetence or give me death. :D (In other words, your statement makes absolutely no sense to me.) Rothschild has been the pitching coach for almost the entire time of Z and Prior's career. He was also the pitching coach for a good portion of Wood's career. Z, Prior, and Wood (to a lesser extent) has been exposed to a terrible amount of abuse under Larry's watch. Larry hasn't done much to improve any pitcher in my estimation. Hill was doing just fine before he came to the big leagues. Lilly and Marquis have pitched a handfull of games for the Cubs. Lilly was a decent pitcher before comming to Chicago. Marquis was pretty good for the first part of last season too. We'll see how things shake out.
  2. Its really aggravating how this whole "rap music is to blame" bullcrap is coming to the forefront again. I agree, but at least the discussion needs to occur. Is music/vedio games a cause or an effect? I think music is reflection of a culture not the cause of the culture's ills. Mysoginy is part of our culture and has been for a long time.
  3. Does it look to you like Lilly, Marquis, and Hill have an incompetent pitching coach? Because they have the same pitching coach Zambrano has. Yes
  4. That's probably a good idea too. Unless someone has training the person who is having the seizure could end up with a few teeth missing like Greg Walker.
  5. That's one of the worst trade ideas this side of Victor Zambrano for Scott Kazmir. Carl Crawford is flashy but not that good. Carl Crawford is a valuable player. He's young, cheap, plays elite defense and put up a solid .289/.364/.481 last year. Z is expensive, ineffective and going to be a FA. What makes Crawford a bad player? I hope Pie can be as good as Crawford. No to mention he also has a very good contract. I never said Crawford was bad. I said the trade was one sided. JJ and Z for mediocre outfielder is a terrible trade. Even if Z is a one year rental. And we're saying he's not a mediocre. He had the 2nd highest VORP for AL LFers last year and he plays plus defense. Also he's, young, improving and cheap. Considering everything I'd take him over Z. Of course you would, you're a Cardinal fan. Carlos Zambrano was top 10 in VORP in MLB last year AMONG ALL PITCHERS. Trading the likes of Carl Crawford for him is just plain stupid. Throwing in JJ to sweaten the pot is, well... stupider? Hah, it's not because I'm a Cardinals fan but because of the reasons I outlined above. Heck, if you notice some Cub fan posters agree with me. Z is a FA after this year and he looks injured. You keep bagging on Crawford and I don't know why. He looks injured my eye. He looks like he's got an incompetent pitching coach. Mephisopheles posted data in a different thread showing that Z is getting righthanded batters out a better pace. His problems are walks and left handed batters. The contract limbo could be weighing on him as well. Trading Z AND JJ for Carl Crawford is not a good trade. That's not say I wouldn't trade Z, I just wouldn't trade him for yet another LFer.
  6. in spite of what dan bernstein might say, you cannot swallow your own tongue. bashing out the guy's teeth was unnecessary. just lay the guy on his side to keep his airway open and save him a pricey dental bill. sounds like schneider, being uninformed, overreacted. When a person is having a seizure, you cannot lay them on their side. I've never heard of someone choking on their tongue, so I cannot say whether it is possible or not, but I do know it is highly unsafe and somewhat unlikely to try to turn a person having a seizure on their side. Unless they're vomiting there shouldn't be a problem keeping their airway open. Herm Schneider is a gluttonous slob. Regardless of this, Herm Schneider may or may not be a competent trainer. No, he's incompetent. During a seizure the danger is in biting the tounge do to spasmatic muscle movement. After a seizure the danger is in the tounge falling over the windpipe and preventing breathing. Sulley's right, after a seizure turn a person on their side. During a seizure try to get something in a person's mouth to keep their tounge down.
  7. It's still early and I could be wrong, but I cannpt believe that anyone thought this team would be good this year. They needed OBP and they got another hacker. They needed a CFer and they got two LFers. It's typical Cubs.
  8. That's one of the worst trade ideas this side of Victor Zambrano for Scott Kazmir. Carl Crawford is flashy but not that good. Carl Crawford is a valuable player. He's young, cheap, plays elite defense and put up a solid .289/.364/.481 last year. Z is expensive, ineffective and going to be a FA. What makes Crawford a bad player? I hope Pie can be as good as Crawford. No to mention he also has a very good contract. I never said Crawford was bad. I said the trade was one sided. JJ and Z for mediocre outfielder is a terrible trade. Even if Z is a one year rental. And we're saying he's not a mediocre. He had the 2nd highest VORP for AL LFers last year and he plays plus defense. Also he's, young, improving and cheap. Considering everything I'd take him over Z. Of course you would, you're a Cardinal fan. Carlos Zambrano was top 10 in VORP in MLB last year AMONG ALL PITCHERS. Trading the likes of Carl Crawford for him is just plain stupid. Throwing in JJ to sweaten the pot is, well... stupider?
  9. MLB is the most exclusive old boys club on the face of the planet. It makes the Bush Administration look like an Amyway convention. There are plenty of people working for ball clubs that have no business being there. The Yankees just fired their trainer who got his job becuase the front office wanted to promote a series of health clubs. The Cubs hired a trainer who didn't have a liscence and then fired the guy who turned him in. MLB let people into clubhouses for the sole purpose of distributing steriods (allegedly). They rehire the likes of Dusty Baker, Phill Garner, and Charlie Manual on an annual basis. I could go on and on. The fact that Marshall is critical of MLB gives him a little more credibility in my estimation.
  10. That's one of the worst trade ideas this side of Victor Zambrano for Scott Kazmir. Carl Crawford is flashy but not that good. Carl Crawford is a valuable player. He's young, cheap, plays elite defense and put up a solid .289/.364/.481 last year. Z is expensive, ineffective and going to be a FA. What makes Crawford a bad player? I hope Pie can be as good as Crawford. No to mention he also has a very good contract. I never said Crawford was bad. I said the trade was one sided. JJ and Z for mediocre outfielder is a terrible trade. Even if Z is a one year rental.
  11. That's one of the worst trade ideas this side of Victor Zambrano for Scott Kazmir. Carl Crawford is flashy but not that good.
  12. Did you mean to say: Why hasn't Chris Elliot established himself for the comedic genius that he is? or, Why has Chris Elliot established himself for the comedic genius that he isn't? The latter. Stupid typing. The paperboy was one of the funniest shows in televison history.
  13. (a) One is a huge number when you're talking about something that only happens about 3.3 times per 9 innings. It's not a huge number. It's only large in relation to the number of walks they earn right now. They are averaging almost a walk more per game during the games they win. It's really not that hard at all. It's not like they are walking 5 or 6 times/game. If they had walked 1 more per game until now, they would be on pace for 678 walks on the season. There have been only 2 NL teams to hit that total in the previous 6 seasons. That pace is not very easy to maintain, even for the best of walking teams, which the Cubs are not. It's an mean not a mode.
  14. It's like watching It's a Wonderful Life and maybe this time Uncle Billy won't accidently give the money to old man Potter. You want it to happen but you know it won't. I liken it more to Groundhog Day only Bill Murry never gets Andy McDowell and Chris Elliot ends up GMing for the Cubs. Seriously though, why hasn't Chris Elliot established himself for the comedic genius he is?
  15. (a) One is a huge number when you're talking about something that only happens about 3.3 times per 9 innings. It's not a huge number. It's only large in relation to the number of walks they earn right now. They are averaging almost a walk more per game during the games they win. It's really not that hard at all. It's not like they are walking 5 or 6 times/game.
  16. Greetings to the 21st century. The intenets sure are keen. The Cubs are 16-16. They've walked 101 times in 32 games, placing them in the bottom 1/3 of MLB and the 25th percentile in the NL. The Cubs are averaging @ 3 walks per game. During the 16 wins they've averaged 3.5 walks/game and 2.75 walks/game in the 16 losses. I did a Pearson R for walks and runs scored and the corelation is a miniscule .10. However, this could be due to the low number of walks the Cubs take. The Cubs are currently 2nd in BA, 11th in SLG, 10th in OBP, and 12th in OPS, placing them in the 75th percentile in MLB. I have to believe if the Cubs could just push their average walks/game up by 1 they would be right there among the league leaders in terms of wins. I haven't looked closely at the number of walks given by Cub pitchers, but I'm fairly certian that if they could just push their average walks given/game down by one, they'd be that much better.
  17. For having the highest paid worst team in baseball year after year. For that he deserves a lot of credit.
  18. Once again, I actually laughed outloud.
  19. Can you name the truck with four wheel drive, smells like a steak and seats thirty-five.. Canyonero! Canyonero! Well, it goes real slow with the hammer down, It's the country-fried truck endorsed by a clown! Canyonero! (Yah!) Canyonero! [Krusty:] Hey Hey The Federal Highway comission has ruled the Canyonero unsafe for highway or city driving. Canyonero! 12 yards long, 2 lanes wide, 65 tons of American Pride! Canyonero! Canyonero! Top of the line in utility sports, Unexplained fires are a matter for the courts! Canyonero! Canyonero! (Yah!) She blinds everybody with her super high beams, She's a squirrel crushing, deer smacking, driving machine! Canyonero!-oh woah, Canyonero! (Yah!) Drive Canyonero! Woah Canyonero! Woah!
  20. Brackman has fallen like an anchor.
  21. How do you figure they should be top 6? 10th in OBP outweighs the 6th SLG and 6th OPS. At best, such a stat line should give you something like the 7th or 8th best teams. But this early in the season, it's hard to correlate what those stats say should be their record, and their record. One 12-run game throws everything off. The Cubs might be 6th in runs, but I know at one point they were 4th. The Cubs are 9th in runs scored right now, but one game could vault them to 6th or drop them to 12th. It's just not useful right now. The Cubs are 13th in walks taken this year, a trend that has gone on for far too long, and is likely to continue. And they have just 3 guys who aren't hitting poorly. Three guys, Lee, Ramirez and DeRosa, are propping up this lineup. It's not hard to understand why they fail so often "when it matters" because more often than not, the hitter at the plate "when it matters" isn't any good. One guy is getting on base frequently (Lee), one guy is getting on at a good pace (Ramirez). DeRosa and Theroit have gotten on at an okay rate, but for Theriot at least, that was all yesterday's doing. Everybody else has a terrible OBP. If you are counting on 2 guys to carry your team, then it's not hard for teams to avoid losing the game to them. THE CUBS ARE MAKING OUTS FAR TOO FREQUENTLY. That shouldn't surprise anybody, since that is the single category that has consistently dogged this team for years. they are a broken record that keeps going back to the same place.
  22. The Lions are the worst run team in PROFESSIONAL sports. And it isn't even close. Before the discrace that is Matt Millen they once drafted a tight end in the second or third round when they ran a run and shoot offense. A team with Billy Simms and Barry Sanders running the ball for all those years should have at least challenged for the conference title, at least once.
  23. I just lost my respect for DeRosa. No DH! Yeah, not cool Derosa. Not cool at all. I don't get that argument at all. It's simple, if I were a Cub fan I would want to see Floyd. If I were the fan of the team opposite the Cubs I'd rather see the pitcher. As a fan of baseball, a game played by 9 individuals against 9 others I am not a fan of the DH. Imagine if scorcer/football would let tan extra player only when a team is on the opposing teams side of the pitch?
  24. Me too, given how little debate there really is in the scientific community. Frickin liberal scientists :)
×
×
  • Create New...