Jump to content
North Side Baseball

CubinNY

Old-Timey Member
  • Posts

    27,840
  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won

    24

 Content Type 

Profiles

Joomla Posts 1

Chicago Cubs Videos

Chicago Cubs Free Agent & Trade Rumors, Notes, & Tidbits

2026 Chicago Cubs Top Prospects Ranking

News

2023 Chicago Cubs Draft Picks

Guides & Resources

2024 Chicago Cubs Draft Picks

The Chicago Cubs Players Project

2025 Chicago Cubs Draft Pick Tracker

2026 Chicago Cubs Draft Tracker: Picks & Bonuses

Blogs

Events

Forums

Store

Gallery

Everything posted by CubinNY

  1. Gregg Sucks even compared to Howry. And Hendry is not a good GM. http://www.fangraphs.com/comparison.aspx?playerid=1793&playerid2=237&playerid3=&position=P&page=3&type=full so K/BB is the best way to judge pitchers now? I missed the memo You miss a lot of things. It's one of the more important stats when judging a relief pitchers. However, Howry's been better than Gregg in almost every category save for last year. I don't like Howry, but Gregg is terrible.
  2. Gregg Sucks even compared to Howry. And Hendry is not a good GM. http://www.fangraphs.com/comparison.aspx?playerid=1793&playerid2=237&playerid3=&position=P&page=3&type=full
  3. I'd say USC? PAC-10 sucks this year USC was 5th of the 8. They played a good non-con schedule (Virginia, Ohio State, ND) to make up for some of the deficiency in the conference. Plus, UCLA hasn't factored into their schedule yet. I'm going to say Alabama. Correct. Alabama checks in at the 73rd toughest schedule in the country as of right now, due to an overall lousy non-con schedule (although Clemson was supposed to be good, so tough to fault them for that), and a comparatively weak SEC West (where Ole Miss was clearly the second-best team, and LSU, Auburn, Arkansas and Miss State were all either 3-5 or 2-6 in conference). Their best win on the year, by far, was their 41-30 win at Georgia, but that was a long time ago, too. Of course, the SEC championship game this week will certainly vault them over Utah. Just thought it was interesting to see it at this point, though. I've been saying this for some time now. Bama has had one of the weakest SEC schedules in a long time for someone who has been undefeated at this point in the season. Having a weak(er) schedule is sometimes necessary to get a team to a point where they can contend for the mythical national championship. The Big 12 teams have been doing it for years. Notre Dame recently started weakening their schedule in hope that they could compete, sorry Domers. To me it's the biggest reason why they need a playoff. The talking heads keep saying the BCS are the reason the regular season is so much more important in college football than in other sports. Well kids, the regular season means less if you schedule MAC and Sunbelt teams for your non-conference games. A team like Alabama may only play one good team before the title game. If Tebow gets hurt they could luck their way into the game. I will say that OU looks like one of the better teams I've seen in a long, long time. That Bradford kid is amazing.
  4. No the Cubs couldn't. Gregg sucks ass. Nobody is going to give a quality prospect to get him except Hendry. I bet we would both be amazed at the number of GM's that consider Gregg to be a valuable commodity simply based upon the fact that he had 29(or so) saves last year. I have no doubt Hendry could get value for Gregg, the question would be, why would he want to? He just traded value for the guy, and 2008 Gregg is definitely an upgrade from 2008 Howry, at approximately the same price. It was mentioned in the Peavy trade thread that Hendry believes the Cubs have a two year window to win. I have no issues with him going all out in attempt to win everything now. Kevin Gregg sucks. He's not an upgrade. When he starts walking people Lou won't use him and the Cubs will have another 7 man relief staff, of which 3 or 4 will be used regularly. All Gregg does is move Marmol from a high % of important innings to "closer", b/c Gregg won't be closing games for the Cubs.
  5. No the Cubs couldn't. Gregg sucks ass. Nobody is going to give a quality prospect to get him except Hendry.
  6. I'd say USC? PAC-10 sucks this year USC was 5th of the 8. They played a good non-con schedule (Virginia, Ohio State, ND) to make up for some of the deficiency in the conference. Plus, UCLA hasn't factored into their schedule yet. I'm going to say Alabama.
  7. I don't think any team can stop OU's offense. LOL, the genius.
  8. Is Jose Ceda the guy the Cubs traded for Kevin Gregg?
  9. He's a Sox fan If I were a Coke fan and bought the Pepsi company, I would probably convert to a Pepsi fan pretty quickly. Bad comparison. Unless you're one of those Coke drinkers that devotes hours a day to the cause... whomever buys the Cubs will be a fan. I think we have to hope that whoever he/she/they are, are smart enough to hire people who aren't mired in traditional baseball thinking after Hendry is gone.
  10. They have some of the best cricket players in the world, it stands to reason that there would be some baseball talent around. I think they specialize in spin bowlers (pitchers) though. A spin bowler is sort of a breaking ball pitcher.
  11. This argument is similar to what I heard around Knoxville the past few years that Fulmer has done a worse coaching job recently because he's gotten a little fatter. No offense, but it's rather silly. Just because the man is fat and looks a little lazy doesn't mean he's not motivated to win - he just doesn't show intensity on the outside and he's not in great shape. Interestingly, I've never heard anybody say Mike Leach is unmotivated, yet he's fat and doesn't appear to be extremely intense. my comment has nothing to do with his girth.
  12. Charlie Weis starts every day before 5 am and has recruited three straight great classes to Notre Dame. But yeah, he's lazy. I'll just assume you have some inside info, but what does getting up at 5am have to do with anything? The results speak for themselves. With all the supposed talent he can't win.
  13. Weis's main problem is that he's not motivated himself. He looks lazy and his teams play that way.
  14. Marquis has value to a team that needs a bottom of the rotation starter and isn't strapped for cash. That leaves out a lot of teams though. I'd think he'd be on the block for the third team. I'm thinking nothing is going to get done with Peavey until the free agency period gets sorted out. If the Yankees or another contending team needs another starter and they have some mid level minor league starting pitching that is pretty good that may be the Ménage à trois the Cubs need.
  15. I don't think he's in the hunt any longer not matter what happens. However, his only hope is to get this cleared up as soon as possible. He either needs to admit to a mistake and pay the fine (its not a criminal offense, yet) or to get the hearing moved up to ASAP. It's terrible timing for something that happened two years ago, but he had to know it was coming.
  16. What do the Floridas, Washingtons, San Franciscos, hell even the Pittsburghs really care? Even a good team in the NL shouldn't care if the GM is making the deal to make his team better.
  17. Baseball also has a season (roughly) twice as long as the other bigs. There should be significantly less teams. I'd bet a lot of money that in my lifetime there will be playoff expansion. I'll argue against it every step of the way. I tend to agree. There is no reason that a 84 win team that hasn't won it's division should be in a "playoff" for who is the best team in MLB. They've proved over the course of 162 games that they shouldn't be in the discussion. It gets a little dicy when a team that hasn't won it's division but has a better record than a team who has and is left out though. I guess the only way to correct that is to go to a two team playoff. The World Series winner should be the best team or close to it, not the team playing the best at the end of the year (or for 13 games).
  18. I don't think Scarlett Johannsen is attractive.
  19. Does anyone know the accuracy of any of these forecasting instruments? I'm not sure they are worth the time it takes to do them.
  20. Judging from the following he's had in the games I went to I'd say the answer to that question is a resounding yes. I'm sure his teammates have also enjoyed the overflow too.
×
×
  • Create New...