Jump to content
North Side Baseball

CubinNY

Old-Timey Member
  • Posts

    27,840
  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won

    24

 Content Type 

Profiles

Joomla Posts 1

Chicago Cubs Videos

Chicago Cubs Free Agent & Trade Rumors, Notes, & Tidbits

2026 Chicago Cubs Top Prospects Ranking

News

2023 Chicago Cubs Draft Picks

Guides & Resources

2024 Chicago Cubs Draft Picks

The Chicago Cubs Players Project

2025 Chicago Cubs Draft Pick Tracker

2026 Chicago Cubs Draft Tracker: Picks & Bonuses

Blogs

Events

Forums

Store

Gallery

Everything posted by CubinNY

  1. I actually think the problem is not enough long term thinking. - 5 years ago the MLBPA was fat and happy. Willing to sell amateurs down the river for roomier bus rides and like a dedicated omelette chef or w/e. MLB decided to pull back on FA spend, and now have a full on labor crisis - Last year we got the weird bastardized 60 game season because small market owners were going to lose money on a per game basis with revenue sharing suspended. The league passed on two months of assuredly bonkers tv ratings, including far more young eyes than they'll ever reliably be able to reach again - They're losing brand favorability with every day this current spat goes on, even though they could make major concessions to the players and still be north of 50/50 in revenue moving forward - They've not really invested in youth outreach beyond RBI. They've also dragged their feet on in market streaming and lifting the archaic in market streaming rules. All opportunities to spend a little short term money and expand the audience. They have to their credit cozied up with the online sports books. Smart long term thinking would be to only take ~50% of "baseball revenue" to keep the MLBPA complacent while enjoying skyrocketing franchise values and continually expanding baseball adjacent revenue streams that the PA wouldn't get their fingers in. The PA would have essentially rubber stamped this CBA. Now they're fighting tooth and nail, and there's probably going to be enough left over acrimony for this to happen again in 5 years. Yes, I phrased that wrong. I agree.
  2. By all reports, Harsin is a major league douchebag who treats his players, subordinates, and the media like trash. His last hire lasted about a week. His DC took a job at OK State at the last minute and he can't recruit. My wife works for Auburn and the entire university system is a mess right now hemorrhaging money.
  3. The owners think they will get a better deal if they 1) delay the process for as long as possible and 2) seek 3rd party mediation up to a point of giving a final and best offer before they get a ruling. As always, the owners have their eyes on long term profit maximization over all else. They are so greedy they are killing the sport in order to wrestle every last nickel they can out of the fans and players.
  4. It's the easiest question to answer if they've put in any preventative measures.
  5. I don’t think it was anywhere near 97%. It was maybe half the fan base, though a very vocal section. Also the Dolphins owner Ross is a gigantic Michigan booster and has given hundreds of millions to the university. I’m not sure how he’d feel about Michigan hiring Flores lol. I said a real out of the box bold move:) Flores should go to a HBCU and do a Dion2
  6. Auburn is a dumpster fire right now. Harsin must be a real swell guy. Also, the athletic program lost $6M last year.
  7. Great thread title, goony. What a mess.
  8. I don't see a date on there but I doubt it. To get the exact scores of two playoff games on a parlay would be ridiculous odds. i was sure 49ers would beat bengals again in super bowl. I can't legally bet in Alabama, but if I could, I would take the Bengals and the under.
  9. I bet he wished he put $50 down instead of $20.
  10. Keith Law's prospect ranking only has Davis in at 28 for Cubs. No others made the top 100.
  11. They had fantasy leagues in the 80s? Anyways my middle school gym teacher said once Gretsky is like if an MLB player hit 100 homeruns in a season. That's always stuck with me even if I don't know that's is accurate per se. Yes, my friend was running a baseball one for like $5 a person at our lunch table in 1989. I concur about Gretzky being the true GOAT. Then M In terms of playing at a level that is above everyone else to a ridiculous exaggeration in team sports, I'd say Gretzky and Babe Ruth are in a class by themselves. MJ is close and there is no one close to him.
  12. Has anyone else reported this? I haven't seen anything on Twitter.
  13. Maybe its the hair or am I the only one who thinks Meatloaf - RIP - at first glance? I think of his brother, then my mind immediately goes to his weird foot fetish, then I get sick to my stomach.
  14. Didn’t want spring for the full name changes out side of the office doors.
  15. Team A wins the toss Team B chooses the 1 yard line Team A can choose whether to take the ball at their own 1 yard line OR have Team B start at their own 1. Rest of the game proceeds as normal. OK, thanks. I was definitely confused about that. It's still a terrible idea.
  16. The NCAA overtime rules should be established in the NFL. They create so much excitement and fun.
  17. That's a good looking swing.
  18. As a football observer more than a fan all I can say is Brady is an amazing player. He’s never had the strongest arm or been the most accurate passer, but he always finds a way to put his teams in a position to win.
  19. How does a person become such a monster?
  20. Apparently former Cubs pitcher Sergio Mitre for raping and killed his stepdaughter and has been sentenced to 40+ years in prison. Horrible story. https://www.nj.com/yankees/2022/01/former-yankees-pitcher-found-guilty-sentenced-for-despicable-rape-murder-of-infant-girl.html
  21. I'm going to take back my tepid "Frazier might not be so bad" post due to his age. I had no idea he was that old. The Bears don't need a head coach that old.
  22. Another hard pass for me, nope, nope, nope, I'm good with Daboll, Flores, Caldwell even McDaniels, Frazier would be a typical Bear mistake. He’s got to be a favorite for the job now, I keep seeing nuggets to that effect and it makes sense to me just from a Bears MO standpoint. I guess best case is Lovie Mach 2? I’d be very interested in whether he comes to the interview with a plan for OC or if it’s just “your defenses are awesome, we are the Bears, we love defense,” yada yada. I’m with you, it feels like typical Bears wrong-headed thinking to me. If they choose a defensive oriented HC, they have to nail it on the OC. I don't think it is necessarily a bad choice to go with Frazier but it makes the second decision even more important.
  23. Identity is an effect, not a cause. A lot of people get the direction of causality backward. It's kind of like the concept of self-esteem.
  24. He's probably the only one on the 2016 team with a shot at sniffing the HOF unless Bryant goes on a 5-year binge of MVP-level play.
  25. The plantation changed form, but that is changing now.
×
×
  • Create New...