Are punting stats all that great at telling who are the best punters?
Average distance: Punters don't always try to kick their hardest. They might be trying to pin a punt inside the 20, they might not want to outkick their coverage, etc.
Number of Touchbacks or number of punts downed inside the 20: One punter may have more/less opportunities than others. Looking right now, the total number of punts between punters in the league varies quite a bit, with some more than twice as many than others (not even counting the ones that have only played 2 or 3 games).
Inside 20%: I'm pretty sure all punts are lumped into this, so you could be kicking from your endzone with zero chance of having it land inside the 20 but it will hurt your % in this department. I might be wrong on this, but it seems like Taylor hasn't had a ton of chances to punt from close to mid-field. Seems like he is usually punting from farther back in Bears territory. He does have a 10:2 ratio of punts inside the 20 versus touchbacks though.
Net punt yards/attempt: Besides the same issues that average distance has, this also depends on how good your punt coverage team is. Yes, it also depends on if the punter out-kicks his coverage, but maybe you learn more about what your coverage team can do as you play more games with them.
He also is punting in Chicago where the wind and cold weather can have an effect. We saw that he punted well at Iowa in winter conditions. I know at least one of the games the wind was pretty strong this year.
We have already seen Taylor have a game where he had a pretty decent effect on the Bears winning. Switch him out for Gill and I don't think they win the Rams game. I'm not saying he is the best in the league after 6 games, but I don't know if the stats really show much one way or the other. I also wouldn't expect him to be the best in the league after 6 games, or that he needs to be in order to use a 4th rounder on him--in a year that was widely considered to have very little depth after the 1st/2nd round. I just expect him to be really good. I looked back at the bears draft history and over the last 20 years or so, there have been very few fourth rounders who did much at all (Eddie Jackson was probably the best one, and even he had only a couple of good years and a lot of mediocre to bad). Roschon was a 4th from a year ago and he is the epitome of replaceable, but no one cares about taking those types of players in the 4th. Most of the players were nobodies. Drafting a punter that will most likely be a good one for 10 years or more doesn't seem like that big of a deal. Also, we are still at a relatively small sample size. I know when you made a post about this a few weeks ago, I looked up the punting stats. The player leading the league in average had a "longest punt" of 84 yards. At that point in the season, one punt that takes a fortuitous bounce and rolls 30 yards will raise your average by 1-2 yards or so.
Taylor was described as a punter that has multiple clubs in his bag. He can hit it far, but he can also punt it where he wants pretty well if he is trying to pin it. He is good at having it not bounce into the endzone. Are there other punters that can do that well? Probably. Do all of them? Probably not, as the Bears saw for the past few years. I can only remember 1 punt this year where it was a shank type disappointment. Gill had 1 or 2 a game it seemed.