Jump to content
North Side Baseball

CaliforniaRaisin

Community Moderator
  • Posts

    34,651
  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won

    23

 Content Type 

Profiles

Joomla Posts 1

Chicago Cubs Videos

Chicago Cubs Free Agent & Trade Rumors, Notes, & Tidbits

2026 Chicago Cubs Top Prospects Ranking

News

2023 Chicago Cubs Draft Picks

Guides & Resources

2024 Chicago Cubs Draft Picks

The Chicago Cubs Players Project

2025 Chicago Cubs Draft Pick Tracker

2026 Chicago Cubs Draft Tracker: Picks & Bonuses

Blogs

Events

Forums

Store

Gallery

Everything posted by CaliforniaRaisin

  1. I'm not lazy, just didn't know where on ESPN's site it was. Thanks!
  2. Where can one join? I couldn't find it.
  3. Don't know what to think, I'm hopeful.
  4. Yeah, I agree. About Tank: crap. :|
  5. Culiacan lost 5-4 in 12 innings, box: 3B C. McGehee 1/5, R, K (24) Overall: 64/204, .314/.378/.461/.839, 7 HR, 9 2B, 21 BB, 24 K, 1/3 SB, 10 E
  6. I agree with what you say about scouting and stats - I believe a balance between the two would be the most ideal way to work. And I think Pagan is a servicable 25th man; I don't think his physical tools are that great.
  7. please provide me with a better predictor of future performance thanks! Why? Do you think minor league stats can be equated to major league performance absolutely? If so, you have your opinion already. great answer. you've really provided a lot of support for your position. Be reasonable. It wouldn't matter what he or anyone said to you. Your opinion won't ever change. Thanks for keeping an open mind! give me something to keep an open mind about. you're saying that bad minor league players can turn into good major league players...throw some names at me. No. You added the descriptions "good" and "bad" to this discussion. There are tons of minor leaguers who put up better numbers in the bigs. I never said Pagan was going to be a world burner, just that he'd be a productive ML bench player. Chris Carpenter didn't put up good numbers in AA or AAA. He's one of the best pitchers in baseball and has been for some time now. Robinson Cano, Alfonso Soriano, Jose Reyes Those are all guys who showed ok to great improvement in the bigs compared to their career minor league numbers. No, I don't think Pagan will turn out to be a stud, but a .775 OPS or better bench player with decent SB totals? Sure. The problem with the four you listed are that they are all immensly talented players who were thought of highly as prospects because of their tools and skills.
  8. Cedric Benson had 16 carries on Sunday, Thomas Jones had 11. I know it was mainly due to TJ's ankle injury, but I really like that distribution of the carries.
  9. Believe me, FFXII will get in the way.
  10. Tigres win 6-1, box: 2B R. Cedeño 3/5, 2B (2), 3 RBI, K (23), CS (3) - first start at second base Overall: Ronny Cedeño (Tigres): 24/99, .242/.318/.323/.641, 1 HBP, 10 BB, 23 K, 2 HR, 2 2B, 0/3 SB, 2 E ------------- Angel Guzman (Navegantes): 9 IP, 3 ER, 6 H, 9 K/0 BB, 1 HR, 3.00 ERA, 0.67 WHIP, 7 GO-10 FO
  11. Wow, Randall Simon is leading the VWL in batting average at .358. His line: .358/.429/.509/.938. Wow.
  12. It might be a different story if Vash wasn't hurt.
  13. Yeah - or the person with the original post in the thread. I'll change it.
  14. It's only fair? Says who? The reason for discarding the worst month is not b/c it is the worst month. It is b/c it was his first month in the bigs. All I'm doing is ignoring his initial ML action, not throwing out months based on performance. When we talk about Murton do we throw out his one horrible month and his best month when thinking about the numbers he puts up next season? Nope. People tend to look at his 2nd half or just flat out ignore his horrible June as he was "making adjustments" or "Dusty forced free swinging on him." Funny how Murton gets that break from a lot of NSBB posters, but Pagan does not. I actually don't ignore Murton's June or just pay attention to his second half. I don't see the purpose of throwing out 1/8 of his ABs when he has so few ABs itself, it limits an already limited pool of evaluation. The reason Murton gets a break from posters and Pagan doesn't? Better minor league stats, better major league stats, better season last year, more PAs so we can better judge his ability.
  15. I don't get how anyone can hit .250 in 1 AB (Pagan in June). :huh: If you're going to take away his worst month, you should take away his best month - no matter the reason why you're taking away his worst month. That's only fair.
  16. His FB location is a concern but the bigger concern is that his slider is nowhere near as good these days. The two problems are related, imo.
  17. They were thinking that mediocre veteran pitchers are worth more than unproven prospects, which, interestingly enough, seems to be the way the baseball world is thinking now. Thankfully, Hendry has only been acquiring that type of pitcher via the free agent market. Before the offseason got too deep in moves, I was kind of looking forward to what the Dodgers would be like next year with a line up of: Furcal Ethier Nomar Kent Loney Martin Kemp Betemit Now, it's looking more like: Furcal Pierre Nomar Kent Gonzalez Ethier Martin/Lieberthal Betemit I wonder how much better they think their new line up is? Man, Colleti sucks.
  18. Is Negron still in the Cubs organization? I thought I read he was released or signed elsewhere as a FA. Maybe I was thinking of someone else... Looks like you're right. Now it comes out that Miguel signed a minor league contract witht he Cardinals and has an NRI to spring training.
  19. They become free agents. Word is the Cubs have re-signed Harben to a minor-league deal. I would expect the same for Reyes. I'm surprised Buck Coats didn't meet the same fate.
  20. Remember that huge hit Patrick Cowan took from Ray Maualuga towards the end of the USC-UCLA game? According to the Daily Bruin and the LA Times, Cowan got a concussion from that hit - he only recognized the post-concussion symptoms about 3 days after the game. As of now, Ben Olson is the starter against Florida State and redshirt freshman Osaar Rashaan is his backup - Cowan has until early next week to get cleared for practice or he won't play in the Emerald Bowl.
  21. :shrug: Career records aren't the best of things to look at in terms of a pro prospect. Both Quinn and Palmer didn't play with that many playmakers at other skill positions and Quinn hasn't played with a good defense. And, of course, Carson Palmer was coached by Norm Chow for just the last two seasons...and really had one good year at USC - his senior season. Looking at stats isn't the best idea - gotta look at the overall picture. Being able to run a pro offense was good for Carson and it will be good for Brady at the next step. Brady doesn't have the arm strength that Carson did, I think their accuracy is about equal. When coming out of college, Carson was a better prospect than Quinn will be. But in this era where franchise QBs are king, no way Brady Quinn shouldn't go with the top pick. I was just responding to BigSlick's post that Quinn might end up busting because he "can't come through in big games". Of course, I don't consider 22/45, 330 yards, 3 TD, 0 INTs, and 70 rushing yards (his USC stats) when your team is letting you down repeatedly with dropped balls and no blocking "not coming through", but that's another thread. And I agree with you on that point. That was my point in mr first paragraph.
  22. :shrug: Career records aren't the best of things to look at in terms of a pro prospect. Both Quinn and Palmer didn't play with that many playmakers at other skill positions and Quinn hasn't played with a good defense. And, of course, Carson Palmer was coached by Norm Chow for just the last two seasons...and really had one good year at USC - his senior season. Looking at stats isn't the best idea - gotta look at the overall picture. Being able to run a pro offense was good for Carson and it will be good for Brady at the next step. Brady doesn't have the arm strength that Carson did, I think their accuracy is about equal. When coming out of college, Carson was a better prospect than Quinn will be. But in this era where franchise QBs are king, no way Brady Quinn shouldn't go with the top pick.
  23. That's awesome. I had to follow Euro 2004 online so being able to watch the next one is excellent. Euro 2004 was an amazing storyline to follow and extremely frustrating it wasn't available on U.S. television. I still can't believe Greece won. My co-worker is Greek and has pics of it all over his cubicle. He was going to school at Cal at the time and told us how he called in sick to his internship and had to go to some obscure bar in San Francisco proper because they were the only place within 25 miles carrying the game.
×
×
  • Create New...