Send them literal entire system, Jed.

1 x
Screw Pitchers

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Re: 2022 In Season Thread

Postby jersey cubs fan » Wed May 18, 2022 7:23 pm

1 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

Andy
Hall of Fame

Postby Andy » Wed May 18, 2022 7:28 pm

Something is seriously wrong with baseball if a superstar with 2.5 damn years to free agency gets traded.
0 x

Ding Dong Johnson
Crap Bag

Postby Ding Dong Johnson » Wed May 18, 2022 8:17 pm

I traded him straight up for Heyward in The Show. Seems like we should start there.
3 x

Proven Veteran
All-Star

Postby Proven Veteran » Wed May 18, 2022 10:54 pm

Ding Dong Johnson wrote:I traded him straight up for Heyward in The Show. Seems like we should start there.

I'd need the Nats to include a couple of pitching prospects to sweeten the deal.
0 x

UMFan83
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby UMFan83 » Wed May 18, 2022 11:10 pm

Andy wrote:Something is seriously wrong with baseball if a superstar with 2.5 damn years to free agency gets traded.

On one hand, I see one system ranking have the Nationals at 27th, and Soto is one of the few great assets you have to improve the long term outlook of the team which is currently really bad. On the other hand JUAN SOTO IS 23 AND A TOP 5 PLAYER IN BASEBALL. Why in the hell would you even consider trading him? Even if you don't think he'll sign an extension, you play it out as long as you can and hope you can build a team that convinces him to stay long term. I don't know what things are like behind the scenes between the Nationals and Soto, but players of his caliber don't fall from trees.
0 x
Win it for Fred

Backtobanks
5-Time All-Star

Postby Backtobanks » Wed May 18, 2022 11:14 pm

Cubswin11 wrote:Send them literal entire system, Jed.

Using MLB Trade Values, we would need to trade Alzolay, Triantos, Alcantra, Cassie, Crow-Armstrong, Davis, Hernandez, Hoerner, Kilian, Morel, Precidio, and Suzuki to balance out the trade.
1 x

We Got The Whole 9
5-Time All-Star

Re: RE: Re: 2022 In Season Thread

Postby We Got The Whole 9 » Thu May 19, 2022 12:14 am

UMFan83 wrote:
Andy wrote:Something is seriously wrong with baseball if a superstar with 2.5 damn years to free agency gets traded.

On one hand, I see one system ranking have the Nationals at 27th, and Soto is one of the few great assets you have to improve the long term outlook of the team which is currently really bad. On the other hand JUAN SOTO IS 23 AND A TOP 5 PLAYER IN BASEBALL. Why in the hell would you even consider trading him? Even if you don't think he'll sign an extension, you play it out as long as you can and hope you can build a team that convinces him to stay long term. I don't know what things are like behind the scenes between the Nationals and Soto, but players of his caliber don't fall from trees.
Them trading Turner was pretty stupid also. I get that he's not a model of durability but not many players have that skill-set and ceiling.
0 x

Transmogrified Tiger
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Thu May 19, 2022 12:17 am

UMFan83 wrote:Even if you don't think he'll sign an extension, you play it out as long as you can and hope you can build a team that convinces him to stay long term. I don't know what things are like behind the scenes between the Nationals and Soto, but players of his caliber don't fall from trees.

That is probably the rub. If you have a bottom 5 MLB team and a bottom 5 farm system, how good are your odds of swaying his opinion in 2 years? And the opportunity cost is pretty significant because we've seen even elite players don't command enormous packages as they get closer to FA.
0 x

Regular Show
All-Star

Postby Regular Show » Thu May 19, 2022 1:23 am

Transmogrified Tiger wrote:
UMFan83 wrote:Even if you don't think he'll sign an extension, you play it out as long as you can and hope you can build a team that convinces him to stay long term. I don't know what things are like behind the scenes between the Nationals and Soto, but players of his caliber don't fall from trees.

That is probably the rub. If you have a bottom 5 MLB team and a bottom 5 farm system, how good are your odds of swaying his opinion in 2 years? And the opportunity cost is pretty significant because we've seen even elite players don't command enormous packages as they get closer to FA.

Not anymore, but that might be different for Juan Soto because he's so special.

Yeah, the Nats have to trade Soto because they won't be good enough in a couple years to convince him to stay long-term. You can't just lose him for a draft pick like Bryce Harper (and the team did try to move him in a trade to Houston before ownership vetoed it).

Jed and this FO have been preparing for this moment by making those trades last year and trying to boost the farm system... I just don't think the farm system is good enough to beat other teams when comparing potential trade packages. Mike Rizzo is an old-school GM and that team likes the well known, shiny Top 100-type prospects in trades/MLB draft. They go more quality over quantity, unlike Cleveland who takes the opposite approach. So a trade for Juan Soto would have to start with Brennen Davis and 4-5 more pieces.

The Cubs are not trading Seiya Suzuki + prospects to get Juan Soto btw (that's dumb). Suzuki is a big part of the core going forward.
0 x
"It was met with, basically, he didn't want to talk about that. He didn't want me to tell him that. I just basically said, 'Well that's why we want an electronic strike zone.'" -- Ben Zobrist

UMFan83
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby UMFan83 » Thu May 19, 2022 1:40 am

Regular Show wrote:
Transmogrified Tiger wrote:

Not anymore, but that might be different for Juan Soto because he's so special.

Yeah, the Nats have to trade Soto because they won't be good enough in a couple years to convince him to stay long-term. You can't just lose him for a draft pick like Bryce Harper (and the team did try to move him in a trade to Houston before ownership vetoed it).

Jed and this FO have been preparing for this moment by making those trades last year and trying to boost the farm system... I just don't think the farm system is good enough to beat other teams when comparing potential trade packages. Mike Rizzo is an old-school GM and that team likes the well known, shiny Top 100-type prospects in trades/MLB draft. They go more quality over quantity, unlike Cleveland who takes the opposite approach. So a trade for Juan Soto would have to start with Brennen Davis and 4-5 more pieces.

The Cubs are not trading Seiya Suzuki + prospects to get Juan Soto btw (that's dumb). Suzuki is a big part of the core going forward.

Plus Suzuki doesn't really fit their timeline that well either if they aren't going to be good in 2-3 years. Not that he's going to be bad at age 30 but not really a franchise cornerstone at that point either.
0 x
Win it for Fred

TomtheBombadil
Superstar

Postby TomtheBombadil » Thu May 19, 2022 2:30 am

I can't shake the Dodgers trading the following players for Mookie Betts, Max Scherzer, and Trea Turner:

Keibert Ruiz, Alex Verdugo, Josiah Gray, Jeter Downs, Connor Wong, Gerardo Carillo, and Donovan Casey

Only two hitters in the bunch are currently starting in the MLs, on last player teams, and one of those is Alex Verdugo (a LF only defender with a .274/.332/.407 triple slash with Fenway as his home park over his past 700+ ML PAs). Gray's not incompetent but also has given up 8 HRs and 18 BBs in 37 innings and they'll probably trade him in a couple years

Obviously this isn't apples to apples so much as Soto is very attainable. Teams are tight about spending either money or top prospects, there's not exactly a long list of buyers in the sport at any one time (yes, even for Juan Soto), and it's probably not lost on the Nats that the Darvish trade for a bunch of "blank slate" youths is looking at least alright by comparison...So...I believe in you, Crisitan Hernandez! Take a few more breaths or whatever they've required so far and we might see him pop into the highly exclusive Top 50 maybe higher this summer

Ftr the above was just purging the optimism. Not getting Machado either
0 x
Spoiler: show

"We struck down evil with the mighty sword of teamwork and the hammer of not-bickering." - The Shoveler

Backtobanks
5-Time All-Star

Postby Backtobanks » Thu May 19, 2022 11:01 pm

Buster Olney must be smoking something to report this:

https://www.si.com/mlb/mets/news/mlb-in ... -a-mission
0 x

UK
Hall of Fame

Postby UK » Fri May 20, 2022 12:05 am

Backtobanks wrote:Buster Olney must be smoking something to report this:

Given the Cubs current situation, getting rid of Heyward adds minimal benefit both financially or talent wise.

If you want to get rid of Contreras including Heyward only lessens the prospect in return and fattens the Ricketts' pockets.
0 x
"It was kind of weird to look in the mirror the first time I tried my hat on." - Mark Bellhorn

Backtobanks
5-Time All-Star

Postby Backtobanks » Fri May 20, 2022 11:53 am

UK wrote:

Given the Cubs current situation, getting rid of Heyward adds minimal benefit both financially or talent wise.

If you want to get rid of Contreras including Heyward only lessens the prospect in return and fattens the Ricketts' pockets.

So you're saying we should keep Heyward because we don't want to fatten Rickett's pockets any more?
0 x

abmillis
All-Star

Postby abmillis » Fri May 20, 2022 12:02 pm

Backtobanks wrote:
UK wrote:

So you're saying we should keep Heyward because we don't want to fatten Rickett's pockets any more?

He's saying don't get rid of Heyward that way. If you trade Willson, you get the best return possible. You don't use him to dump a bad contract, especially only with only a year and a half left.
1 x

champaignchris
All-Star

Postby champaignchris » Fri May 20, 2022 5:21 pm

A Willson/Heyward to the Mets trade might have made sense 2 years ago. When the Cubs were up against the tax threshold and presumably looking for ways to free up space to sign free agents.

They’re $60-70MM below the threshold now and don’t seem to be particularly interested in making a big free agent splash. And I’m not certain who they’d even try to get next off-season. Outside of Trea Turner, pickings are slim.

Get the best return you can for Willy (or do something crazy and extend him) and release Heyward the minute you no longer have room for him on the active roster.
1 x

TomtheBombadil
Superstar

Postby TomtheBombadil » Fri May 20, 2022 9:44 pm

Rogers casually threw out Juan Soto's name here:

0 x
Spoiler: show

"We struck down evil with the mighty sword of teamwork and the hammer of not-bickering." - The Shoveler

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Sun May 22, 2022 3:49 pm

Vargas DFA’d, Higgins called up
0 x

Transmogrified Tiger
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Wed May 25, 2022 5:01 am

Did anyone sift through this to get any detail on what the 'expected to spend big' means in more detail?
0 x

squally1313
5-Time All-Star

Postby squally1313 » Wed May 25, 2022 1:28 pm

Transmogrified Tiger wrote:Did anyone sift through this to get any detail on what the 'expected to spend big' means in more detail?

Mid term elections coming up in November I assume.
2 x

Transmogrified Tiger
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Wed May 25, 2022 1:56 pm

Alright I listened to the last half, if you want to hear the specifics, you can skip to the 'empty your notebook' segment that is the last 8ish minutes but it's not worth it.

Heyman lists the Cubs as a potential suitor(among 4-5 teams he name drops) for Brandon Nimmo in free agency, adding some color that he hears "they're gonna spend". Literally no other description. Also, Heyman (essentially quoting Boras) says Soto isn't getting traded.
0 x

CoolHandLuke
All-Star

Postby CoolHandLuke » Wed May 25, 2022 2:37 pm

Yes but can you fill us in on the part where two old white guys discuss how you can't prove that Donaldson is a racist pos?
2 x

Bertz
5-Time All-Star

Postby Bertz » Mon May 30, 2022 4:06 pm

Very surprised by Espinoza, but he was on the 40 and might be able to shove if he's airing it out for an inning or three
0 x

Gilby
All-Star

Postby Gilby » Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:16 pm

So, with an extension seemingly not happening, what are we looking at for a potential Contreras trade return? Even if teams don't need a new everyday catcher, dude's putting up great numbers even for a DH
0 x

Return to “Transactions”