soccer soccer soccer

wolf stansson
Superstar

Re: soccer soccer soccer

Postby wolf stansson » Thu Jun 16, 2022 10:06 pm

My condolences to the unfortunate teams that have to play a summer World Cup game in Miami. I will not be attending due to holy horsefeathers that is going to be a mess. The traffic is inhumane already. If a South American team draws there, they might as well declare a state of emergency for broward and dade.
0 x

wolf stansson
Superstar

Postby wolf stansson » Fri Jun 17, 2022 1:22 pm

Canada is unraveling. Fighting with their fed. Skipping warm up games. Now their players are intimidating refs off the field and Herdman is complaining about CONCACAF conditions after they made their opponents play in the Arctic circle on turf during qualifying. You can take the colony out of the UK, but you can’t take the England out of their souls. They aren’t getting out of their group.
0 x

stitchface
Superstar

Postby stitchface » Fri Jun 17, 2022 9:10 pm

wolf stansson wrote:Canada is unraveling. Fighting with their fed. Skipping warm up games. Now their players are intimidating refs off the field and Herdman is complaining about CONCACAF conditions after they made their opponents play in the Arctic circle on turf during qualifying. You can take the colony out of the UK, but you can’t take the England out of their souls. They aren’t getting out of their group.

oh, Canada!
0 x

UMFan83
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby UMFan83 » Fri Jun 17, 2022 9:27 pm

Cool story about the biggest Dos a Cero with interviews from the players involved.

https://www.espn.com/soccer/fifa-world- ... he-rivalry
0 x
Win it for Fred

Mark Prior's Calves
5-Time All-Star

Postby Mark Prior's Calves » Fri Jun 17, 2022 10:37 pm

wolf stansson wrote:My condolences to the unfortunate teams that have to play a summer World Cup game in Miami. I will not be attending due to holy horsefeathers that is going to be a mess. The traffic is inhumane already. If a South American team draws there, they might as well declare a state of emergency for broward and dade.

My hope would be the English being drawn to play in Miami. The amount of red faced, sun burned puds from northern England would be amazing.
0 x

UMFan83
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby UMFan83 » Sat Jun 18, 2022 7:04 am

I still hate that Chicago pulled out of the running to host WC matches, however noble the reasons were. Of the 15 largest metropolitan areas in North America, only Chicago and DC are not hosting and missing out on the global exposure.
0 x
Win it for Fred

stitchface
Superstar

Postby stitchface » Sat Jun 18, 2022 7:22 pm

wolf stansson wrote:My condolences to the unfortunate teams that have to play a summer World Cup game in Miami. I will not be attending due to holy horsefeathers that is going to be a mess. The traffic is inhumane already. If a South American team draws there, they might as well declare a state of emergency for broward and dade.

Is Miami really worse for traffic than other places? And what's with the vaguely racist dig at South Americans?
0 x

wolf stansson
Superstar

Postby wolf stansson » Sat Jun 18, 2022 7:38 pm

stitchface wrote:

Is Miami really worse for traffic than other places? And what's with the vaguely racist dig at South Americans?

Yes and if you think me being aware of the fact that South Americans in particular love coming to Miami for a multitude of cultural and geographic reasons vaguely racist, I think you’re vaguely clueless about Miami. I live in Florida. I attend sporting events at hard rock stadium. Traffic is Armageddon on a normal day because our infrastructure is a joke. During F1 and the super bowl you’re not going anywhere all week. As for the South American thing, I guess maybe try to get to know more Latinos? Miami is America’s Latin Capitol.
1 x

stitchface
Superstar

Postby stitchface » Sun Jun 19, 2022 7:42 pm

wolf stansson wrote:
stitchface wrote:

Yes and if you think me being aware of the fact that South Americans in particular love coming to Miami for a multitude of cultural and geographic reasons vaguely racist, I think you’re vaguely clueless about Miami. I live in Florida. I attend sporting events at hard rock stadium. Traffic is Armageddon on a normal day because our infrastructure is a joke. During F1 and the super bowl you’re not going anywhere all week. As for the South American thing, I guess maybe try to get to know more Latinos? Miami is America’s Latin Capitol.

ok, I'll work on it.

-- Juan
3 x

wolf stansson
Superstar

Postby wolf stansson » Tue Jun 21, 2022 3:00 pm

stitchface wrote:
wolf stansson wrote:
stitchface wrote:

ok, I'll work on it.

-- Juan

I am legit lol'ing in my office at this ultimate debate ender. Seriously though, if a south american team gets drawn into Miami, it's going to be (fun! positive!) bedlam.
0 x

stitchface
Superstar

Postby stitchface » Tue Jun 21, 2022 3:40 pm

wolf stansson wrote:
stitchface wrote:
wolf stansson wrote:Yes and if you think me being aware of the fact that South Americans in particular love coming to Miami for a multitude of cultural and geographic reasons vaguely racist, I think you’re vaguely clueless about Miami. I live in Florida. I attend sporting events at hard rock stadium. Traffic is Armageddon on a normal day because our infrastructure is a joke. During F1 and the super bowl you’re not going anywhere all week. As for the South American thing, I guess maybe try to get to know more Latinos? Miami is America’s Latin Capitol.

ok, I'll work on it.

-- Juan

I am legit lol'ing in my office at this ultimate debate ender. Seriously though, if a south american team gets drawn into Miami, it's going to be (fun! positive!) bedlam.

One of the funnest sports experiences I've had was Chile-Argentina at Levis in the Copa America - it was like being in Buenos Aires.
0 x

stitchface
Superstar

Postby stitchface » Tue Jun 21, 2022 4:56 pm

Japan and Saudi Arabia seem like good final prep games.
0 x

bukie
Superstar

Postby bukie » Tue Jun 21, 2022 7:27 pm

Just wish they could have found a window sometime to get a UEFA team in the last 12 months before the World Cup.
0 x
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was to convince the world he didn't exist.

Transmogrified Tiger
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Tue Jun 21, 2022 7:35 pm

bukie wrote:Just wish they could have found a window sometime to get a UEFA team in the last 12 months before the World Cup.

It wasn't a first choice roster and barely meets your criteria, but they did get Bosnia in that December camp. Realistically, their only chance was in this upcoming window because they had qualifiers all spring and UEFA had 4 nations league fixtures in this past window.
0 x

stitchface
Superstar

Postby stitchface » Tue Jun 21, 2022 7:57 pm

I don't really see any big advantage to playing a UEFA team. Why would that matter?
0 x

bukie
Superstar

Postby bukie » Tue Jun 21, 2022 8:05 pm

stitchface wrote:I don't really see any big advantage to playing a UEFA team. Why would that matter?

Two of them in the group, both probably better than any non-CONCACAF opponent they'll see coming in aside from maybe Uruguay, plenty of options of teams in the run-up. I'd just rather have seen a Spain/Netherlands/Germany than one of Saudi Arabia/Japan.
0 x
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was to convince the world he didn't exist.

stitchface
Superstar

Postby stitchface » Tue Jun 21, 2022 8:08 pm

bukie wrote:
stitchface wrote:I don't really see any big advantage to playing a UEFA team. Why would that matter?

Two of them in the group, both probably better than any non-CONCACAF opponent they'll see coming in aside from maybe Uruguay, plenty of options of teams in the run-up. I'd just rather have seen a Spain/Netherlands/Germany than one of Saudi Arabia/Japan.

I think you're over-rating Wales but basically just stronger opponents is what you're saying. Certainly the two nations league games were worthless.
0 x

Mark Prior's Calves
5-Time All-Star

Postby Mark Prior's Calves » Tue Jun 21, 2022 8:28 pm

Anybody watching the U-20 Concacaf championship? They're available on YouTube.

The U.S. dominated Canada in the run of play, but still only drew 2-2. Cade Cowell is very intriguing, but I don't think he played great in the game. Diego Luna was fun to watch.
0 x

wolf stansson
Superstar

Postby wolf stansson » Tue Jun 21, 2022 10:14 pm

If pepi was playing in the Canada game, he would’ve scored 10.

It’s funny how we have a ton of exciting 8’s and wingers but no strikers even at the youth level
0 x

stitchface
Superstar

Postby stitchface » Thu Jun 23, 2022 5:58 pm

26 man squads for WC. I guess this benefits countries with deeper rosters though doesn't seem unreasonable. Who are the next 3 for US?
0 x

UMFan83
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby UMFan83 » Thu Jun 23, 2022 7:28 pm

I know, FIFA rankings are whatever, but its an interesting visualization. Every other WC group has two teams that are lower ranked than the worst team in our group
Last edited by UMFan83 on Thu Jun 23, 2022 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Win it for Fred

Transmogrified Tiger
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Thu Jun 23, 2022 7:39 pm

I started down the list of teams ranked below Iran and I got to New Zealand before I found one that I'd rather face instead of Iran
1 x

wolf stansson
Superstar

Postby wolf stansson » Fri Jun 24, 2022 1:57 pm

Mixed feelings for me as this is the right move but also gives him an edge over my preferred starter, MT.
0 x

Transmogrified Tiger
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Fri Jun 24, 2022 3:28 pm

My general feeling is:

Turner playing regularly > Steffen as a backup
Turner as a backup > Steffen as a backup
Turner as a backup < Steffen playing regularly
Turner playing regularly ?? Steffen playing regularly

The margins are pretty small, and also I have more confidence than most that Steffen getting regular minutes is a much better shot stopper than his recent reputation.
0 x

stitchface
Superstar

Postby stitchface » Fri Jun 24, 2022 4:40 pm

wolf stansson wrote:https://twitter.com/rgonzalezcbs/status/1540324033207697413?s=21&t=IHhR9PGnmo69MvLuZxcNEw

Mixed feelings for me as this is the right move but also gives him an edge over my preferred starter, MT.

There is no way this is a negative though - Steffen playing more can only be a positive for the USMNT
0 x

Return to “Other Sports”