Bears off-season thread 2022

gflore34
5-Time All-Star

Re: Bears off-season thread 2022

Postby gflore34 » Mon Aug 08, 2022 2:07 pm

Derwood wrote:https://twitter.com/BN_Bears/status/1555972241451618310

From an injury prospective I wish them well and hope they recover but, really the only one worth caring about is Jones. Pringle and Harry are never going to be more than placeholders so, here's hoping Jones' injury is not one that keeps him out for too long.
0 x

UMFan83
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby UMFan83 » Mon Aug 08, 2022 3:18 pm

I keep hearing rumors about Jalen Reagor possibly on the block. Would you be interested or is he a complete bust?
0 x
Win it for Fred

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Mon Aug 08, 2022 3:31 pm

UMFan83 wrote:I keep hearing rumors about Jalen Reagor possibly on the block. Would you be interestedi or is he a complete bust?

For Jenkins?
0 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

UMFan83
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby UMFan83 » Mon Aug 08, 2022 3:38 pm

jersey cubs fan wrote:
UMFan83 wrote:I keep hearing rumors about Jalen Reagor possibly on the block. Would you be interestedi or is he a complete bust?

For Jenkins?

That's what I read, but not from any reputable source. Seems like he's on the block though so interesting thought if Poles wants a WR.
0 x
Win it for Fred

bjam12
Starter

Postby bjam12 » Tue Aug 09, 2022 12:12 am

Any interest in OBJ?
0 x

Old Style
Superstar

Postby Old Style » Tue Aug 09, 2022 12:55 pm

What the horsefeathers is this organization doing?

0 x
"I'm sorry, folks outside of SEC country, but a few facts are incontrovertible. They smoke better barbecue than you. Their women are prettier than your women. They play football better than your schools play football." - Andy Staples, SI

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Tue Aug 09, 2022 1:02 pm

jersey cubs fan wrote:Between his gutting of team, indifference toward Fields, and rumored shopping of Jenkins, it reads to me like Poles wants a clear reset from the Pace era. I think Fields has to win on his own to keep his job in 2023. I wouldn’t bet on a Smith extension (unless his self representation can be manipulated) and think Montgomery is probably dealt if they start slow. Wouldn’t rule out a Mooney trade. Poles seems to be doing what most other Chicago teams have done of late and is hoping to lose a lot this year and draft high next year.

Smith messed up by saying maybe the McCaskeys can salvage this, weakening his hand. But this is what it comes down to. Poles wants to take advantage of an unrepresented player, and if he can’t he’ll move on from another Pace guy in the name of getting guys who buy in to another rah rah BS system.
0 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

WrigleyField 22
Superstar

Postby WrigleyField 22 » Tue Aug 09, 2022 1:42 pm

WELP.
0 x

Hairyducked Idiot
Kyle in disguise

Postby Hairyducked Idiot » Tue Aug 09, 2022 2:30 pm

Good. Never extend anyone but quarterbacks and offensive linemen
0 x

jumbo
Starter

Postby jumbo » Tue Aug 09, 2022 2:44 pm

jersey cubs fan wrote:
jersey cubs fan wrote:Between his gutting of team, indifference toward Fields, and rumored shopping of Jenkins, it reads to me like Poles wants a clear reset from the Pace era. I think Fields has to win on his own to keep his job in 2023. I wouldn’t bet on a Smith extension (unless his self representation can be manipulated) and think Montgomery is probably dealt if they start slow. Wouldn’t rule out a Mooney trade. Poles seems to be doing what most other Chicago teams have done of late and is hoping to lose a lot this year and draft high next year.

Smith messed up by saying maybe the McCaskeys can salvage this, weakening his hand. But this is what it comes down to. Poles wants to take advantage of an unrepresented player, and if he can’t he’ll move on from another Pace guy in the name of getting guys who buy in to another rah rah BS system.

When I heard Roquan didn't have an agent my concern would be that he wouldn't have a counterweight to his own thinking. Maybe Roquan wanted to be the highest paid MLB in the league, and Poles didn't want to go that far. Without an agent to advise him on what he should be targeting there is no one to bring things back.
I get Roquan wants to cash in, all players do and he deserves a payday, but I see how him representing himself would be problematic.

We'll see once details come out what the offers were...
0 x

Wilson A2000
Superstar

Postby Wilson A2000 » Tue Aug 09, 2022 2:55 pm

jersey cubs fan wrote:

Why are the only options taking advantage of an underrepresented player or move on from him and not pay him market value if you like him as a player?
0 x

JeffH
All-Star

Postby JeffH » Tue Aug 09, 2022 3:12 pm

USA Today:

In the letter, Smith claims that the Bears new regime, led by first-year general manager Ryan Pace, has "refused to negotiate in good faith." Smith added that he and Chicago's front office had been negotiating since April without a deal being reached.
0 x

Wilson A2000
Superstar

Postby Wilson A2000 » Tue Aug 09, 2022 3:29 pm

JeffH wrote:USA Today:

In the letter, Smith claims that the Bears new regime, led by first-year general manager Ryan Pace, has "refused to negotiate in good faith." Smith added that he and Chicago's front office had been negotiating since April without a deal being reached.

He’s been talking to the wrong guy all along!
1 x

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Tue Aug 09, 2022 3:30 pm

JeffH wrote:USA Today:

Didn’t know Bob covered football
0 x

Tryptamine
5-Time All-Star

Postby Tryptamine » Tue Aug 09, 2022 3:52 pm

Starting to feel like we somehow downgraded at GM. I know it's nearly impossible for that to be the case for the HC, but damn this has been a horrendous offseason so far.
1 x

UMFan83
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby UMFan83 » Tue Aug 09, 2022 3:54 pm

0 x
Win it for Fred

UMFan83
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby UMFan83 » Tue Aug 09, 2022 3:56 pm

Tryptamine wrote:Starting to feel like we somehow downgraded at GM. I know it's nearly impossible for that to be the case for the HC, but damn this has been a horrendous offseason so far.

I get that he's doing a teardown and purging the previous FO's guys, but not sure how dumping talent for 50 cents on the dollar is helping the team long term. The Bears hired him to fulfill his vision of building a winning team and we just have to trust that he is doing that, or at the very least go along for the ride and hope it works out.

I don't necessarily disagree with the strategy, but I think he's taken it quite a bit farther than most people would.
0 x
Win it for Fred

Tryptamine
5-Time All-Star

Postby Tryptamine » Tue Aug 09, 2022 3:59 pm

UMFan83 wrote:
Tryptamine wrote:Starting to feel like we somehow downgraded at GM. I know it's nearly impossible for that to be the case for the HC, but damn this has been a horrendous offseason so far.

I get that he's doing a teardown and purging the previous FO's guys, but not sure how dumping talent for 50 cents on the dollar is helping the team long term. The Bears hired him to fulfill his vision of building a winning team and we just have to trust that he is doing that, or at the very least go along for the ride and hope it works out.

I don't necessarily disagree with the strategy, but I think he's taken it quite a bit farther than most people would.

The way he's stripping the team down, Fields is going to be at the end of his contract before they ends up putting anything competitive on the field.
0 x

Hairyducked Idiot
Kyle in disguise

Postby Hairyducked Idiot » Tue Aug 09, 2022 4:01 pm

This is the first thing I've liked from Poles since early in the offseason.

There's no way to tell if this is a real blow-up or a negotiating tactic until something real comes out of it.
Last edited by Hairyducked Idiot on Tue Aug 09, 2022 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

UMFan83
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby UMFan83 » Tue Aug 09, 2022 4:04 pm

With the 5-12 Panthers being today's "Why Your Team Sucks" team of the day, it looks as though the Bears will be tomorrow's team on the Defector. Always an enjoyable read as there is usually a ton of stuff you can talk about. Come on Drew, make it hurt.
0 x
Win it for Fred

SpongeWorthy
Superstar

Postby SpongeWorthy » Tue Aug 09, 2022 4:23 pm

Hairyducked Idiot wrote:Good. Never extend anyone but quarterbacks and offensive linemen

the last two super bowl champs extended off ball linebackers, d-lineman, wide receivers, and DBs

i see your thrust but you need elite talent at other spots too
2 x

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Tue Aug 09, 2022 4:24 pm

Tryptamine wrote:
UMFan83 wrote:

The way he's stripping the team down, Fields is going to be at the end of his contract before they ends up putting anything competitive on the field.
its better than even odds he won’t be on the team by then
0 x

champaignchris
All-Star

Postby champaignchris » Tue Aug 09, 2022 4:51 pm

jersey cubs fan wrote:
Tryptamine wrote:
UMFan83 wrote:

Right. The most likely scenario is that Fields won’t be the starting QB on the next Bears playoff team. The timing just doesn’t work out. They’re going to have to make a decision on his fifth year option before they even get a chance to see him behind a competent o-line.
0 x

UMFan83
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby UMFan83 » Tue Aug 09, 2022 4:57 pm

champaignchris wrote:
jersey cubs fan wrote:
Tryptamine wrote:

Right. The most likely scenario is that Fields won’t be the starting QB on the next Bears playoff team. The timing just doesn’t work out. They’re going to have to make a decision on his fifth year option before they even get a chance to see him behind a competent o-line.

I feel like his talent should shine through if he's as good as we hope he is. Wouldn't be the first young QB that has been able to put it together despite crappy offensive infrastructure. It's not like very many elite QBs fail on their first team due to lack of talent surrounding them and then become an elite QB on their 2nd team. If he needs tons of talent around him to be successful, that's fine but he's probably a couple tiers below the elite QBs (think Ryan Tannehill or Alex Smith). If Fields is the guy, we'll have a pretty good idea by the end of this year unless he misses most of the season with injuries.
0 x
Win it for Fred

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Tue Aug 09, 2022 5:06 pm

UMFan83 wrote:
champaignchris wrote:
jersey cubs fan wrote:its better than even odds he won’t be on the team by then

I feel like his talent should shine through if he's as good as we hope he is. Wouldn't be the first young QB that has been able to put it together despite crappy offensive infrastructure. It's not like very many elite QBs fail on their first team due to lack of talent surrounding them and then become an elite QB on their 2nd team. If he needs tons of talent around him to be successful, that's fine but he's probably a couple tiers below the elite QBs (think Ryan Tannehill or Alex Smith). If Fields is the guy, we'll have a pretty good idea by the end of this year unless he misses most of the season with injuries.

Very few guys have been handed both an awful line and receiver group. One or the other, fine, the great ones will find a way to make it work. This isn’t that situation.
0 x

Return to “Other Sports”