Bears off-season thread 2022

rawaction
Hall of Fame

Re: Bears off-season thread 2022

Postby rawaction » Mon Jun 27, 2022 1:51 pm

CubinNY wrote:
Old Style wrote:https://twitter.com/danpompei/status/1540834497012420609?s=21&t=Kqlo3kNzsx5GA9vDhPf2jg

Heart breaking.

Yeah, at this point I want it over for him. Has to be in unbearable pain and discomfort.
0 x

WrigleyField 22
Superstar

Postby WrigleyField 22 » Mon Jun 27, 2022 2:01 pm

rawaction wrote:
CubinNY wrote:
Old Style wrote:https://twitter.com/danpompei/status/1540834497012420609?s=21&t=Kqlo3kNzsx5GA9vDhPf2jg

Heart breaking.

Yeah, at this point I want it over for him. Has to be in unbearable pain and discomfort.

Pain/discomfort wise it's, to my understanding, not physically so. Mentally is of course a different story. Not to minimize that aspect, but having lost a uncle to a similar disease to ALS, I'll say the emotions around end of life care and quality of life and such are generally much more complex that say, someone who's body is being wrecked by cancer.
0 x

rawaction
Hall of Fame

Postby rawaction » Mon Jun 27, 2022 2:56 pm

WrigleyField 22 wrote:
rawaction wrote:
CubinNY wrote:Heart breaking.

Pain/discomfort wise it's, to my understanding, not physically so. Mentally is of course a different story. Not to minimize that aspect, but having lost a uncle to a similar disease to ALS, I'll say the emotions around end of life care and quality of life and such are generally much more complex that say, someone who's body is being wrecked by cancer.

Ok, I've been trying to figure out this comment but I'm really not sure what you're saying here. LOL.
0 x

cl smooth
All-Star

Postby cl smooth » Mon Jun 27, 2022 3:03 pm

rawaction wrote:
WrigleyField 22 wrote:
rawaction wrote:

Ok, I've been trying to figure out this comment but I'm really not sure what you're saying here. LOL.

read an article yesterday about mcmichael having a fentanyl patch on him at all times. yeah, the dude is in constant pain.
0 x

WrigleyField 22
Superstar

Postby WrigleyField 22 » Mon Jun 27, 2022 4:50 pm

rawaction wrote:
WrigleyField 22 wrote:
rawaction wrote:

Addressing the pain/discomfort comment. My understanding is that from a physical pain component, ALS is generally not a painful disease.
0 x

WrigleyField 22
Superstar

Postby WrigleyField 22 » Mon Jun 27, 2022 5:03 pm

cl smooth wrote:
rawaction wrote:
WrigleyField 22 wrote:Pain/discomfort wise it's, to my understanding, not physically so. Mentally is of course a different story. Not to minimize that aspect, but having lost a uncle to a similar disease to ALS, I'll say the emotions around end of life care and quality of life and such are generally much more complex that say, someone who's body is being wrecked by cancer.

read an article yesterday about mcmichael having a fentanyl patch on him at all times. yeah, the dude is in constant pain.

Huh, my understanding of ALS is that sort of pain and pain managemt isn't super common. But I guess it's possible. That sucks if it's the case.

Even thinking of family members who I have watched die in hospice from organ failure related to age, the pain management plan wiped out any quality of life. ALS patients (again from everything I've personally known) generally maintain all their mental faculties (if they lose it it may be related to some other concurrent issue), and if they aren't in pain or their pain management needs require very low doses of stuff that don't turn them into a glazed-over shell of themselves, than the idea of merciful pleas re: their life may be misguided.
0 x

minnesotacubsfan
Hall of Fame

Postby minnesotacubsfan » Tue Jun 28, 2022 1:30 pm

I have very anecdotal experience with ALS, my neighbor has it. It does bring her some pain but not fentanyl level pain - yet. I guess it could (?) Regardless it's a terrible disease and to watch it absolutely ruin one's physical being is horsefeathering nasty
1 x

WrigleyField 22
Superstar

Postby WrigleyField 22 » Tue Jun 28, 2022 1:48 pm

minnesotacubsfan wrote:I have very anecdotal experience with ALS, my neighbor has it. It does bring her some pain but not fentanyl level pain - yet. I guess it could (?) Regardless it's a terrible disease and to watch it absolutely ruin one's physical being is horsefeathering nasty

Obviously every experience is different to some degree. I looked it up after making that post yesterday and some websites of unknown authority made some bigger claims about ALS and pain but the well known sites like Mayo Clinic and ALS org downplay it's pain effects. So :shrug:

It's an awful disease but based on any first or second hand experience I've had with it, those who suffer often times have a pretty peaceful end, and not, "I just wish it would end" mindset. It isn't the writhing in pain experience. It's very difficult to watch and care for though. And obviously it's difficult to experience for the patients. But when I think about the "I pray for it to be over for them" type attitude, it's a way more complex situation than other types of death I've watched for ill people. Whether it's severely sick patients who are basically comotose from the pain management meds and sever physical pain, or people who have lost their mind and aren't even there mentally.. It's just a lot different.
0 x

CubinNY
Hall of Fame

Postby CubinNY » Tue Jun 28, 2022 2:25 pm

WrigleyField 22 wrote:
cl smooth wrote:
rawaction wrote:

Huh, my understanding of ALS is that sort of pain and pain managemt isn't super common. But I guess it's possible. That sucks if it's the case.

Even thinking of family members who I have watched die in hospice from organ failure related to age, the pain management plan wiped out any quality of life. ALS patients (again from everything I've personally known) generally maintain all their mental faculties (if they lose it it may be related to some other concurrent issue), and if they aren't in pain or their pain management needs require very low doses of stuff that don't turn them into a glazed-over shell of themselves, than the idea of merciful pleas re: their life may be misguided.

If I get it I want straight heroin at a high enough dosage that I never wake up again. No one should die like this unless they want to.
2 x

Old Style
Superstar

Postby Old Style » Fri Jul 01, 2022 9:03 pm

This is an odd move.
1 x
"I'm sorry, folks outside of SEC country, but a few facts are incontrovertible. They smoke better barbecue than you. Their women are prettier than your women. They play football better than your schools play football." - Andy Staples, SI

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Sat Jul 02, 2022 12:07 am

Old Style wrote:https://twitter.com/chisportupdates/status/1542972735059644416?s=21&t=rODWBGOwSTTdvYBj0MU1pw

This is an odd move.

People speculating that there had to be an incident, otherwise it’s a terrible look by Poles to do over phone while the guy is on vacation.

I think a lot of what Poles has done so far, or rather not done, lends credence to the notion that he’s just an ahole who doesn’t care how this impacts somebody he didn’t hire.
Or, put another way:
1 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

David
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby David » Sat Jul 02, 2022 12:09 am

jersey cubs fan wrote:
Old Style wrote:https://twitter.com/chisportupdates/status/1542972735059644416?s=21&t=rODWBGOwSTTdvYBj0MU1pw

This is an odd move.

People speculating that there had to be an incident, otherwise it’s a terrible look by Poles to do over phone while the guy is on vacation.

I think a lot of what Poles has done so far, or rather not done, lends credence to the notion that he’s just an ahole who doesn’t care how this impacts somebody he didn’t hire.
Or, put another way:

yeah, i'm getting the same impression. guess we'll see if anything more comes out about this. for now, i'm kinda starting to think the people who implied that something smelled off in the failed ogunjobi physical might be onto something.
0 x

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Sat Jul 02, 2022 12:15 am

David wrote:
jersey cubs fan wrote:

This is an odd move.

Or, put another way:

yeah, i'm getting the same impression. guess we'll see if anything more comes out about this. for now, i'm kinda starting to think the people who implied that something smelled off in the failed ogunjobi physical might be onto something.

Wait, what?
0 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

David
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby David » Sat Jul 02, 2022 12:30 am

jersey cubs fan wrote:
David wrote:
jersey cubs fan wrote:People speculating that there had to be an incident, otherwise it’s a terrible look by Poles to do over phone while the guy is on vacation.

Or, put another way:

Wait, what?

like, if it is the case that nothing awful happened to prompt this sudden firing and in the cutthroat manner it happened, i might be a bit more inclined to believe the speculation that was out there (and i think there was even a report of some close to him saying something to that effect) that the bears basically got cold feet or changed their minds and "found" an excuse to fail his physical (considering they already knew he was recovering from an injury). i don't think it's the case but then stuff like this makes me have doubt.

i forget what the other thing that i saw reported at some point recently made me think something was a little off and that poles might just be a huge horsefeathers.

in the end, it seems like there has to be some big bad thing that happened to justify firing that guy and in that manner (at this time of year. localized entirely within your kitchen). but it's also possible poles is a crazy horsefeathers i guess.
0 x

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Sat Jul 02, 2022 1:09 am

David wrote:
like, if it is the case that nothing awful happened to prompt this sudden firing and in the cutthroat manner it happened, i might be a bit more inclined to believe the speculation that was out there (and i think there was even a report of some close to him saying something to that effect) that the bears basically got cold feet or changed their minds and "found" an excuse to fail his physical (considering they already knew he was recovering from an injury). i don't think it's the case but then stuff like this makes me have doubt.

i forget what the other thing that i saw reported at some point recently made me think something was a little off and that poles might just be a huge horsefeathers.

in the end, it seems like there has to be some big bad thing that happened to justify firing that guy and in that manner (at this time of year. localized entirely within your kitchen). but it's also possible poles is a crazy horsefeathers i guess.

I guess those theories never stuck in my brain. But also, Cliff Clavin Jeopardy dot gif
1 x

minnesotacubsfan
Hall of Fame

Postby minnesotacubsfan » Sat Jul 02, 2022 3:17 am

Wtfg search committee
0 x

WrigleyField 22
Superstar

Postby WrigleyField 22 » Sat Jul 02, 2022 2:11 pm

What a godawful take

Oh the two players arrested also have direct ties to the HC and GM.
3 x

UMFan83
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby UMFan83 » Wed Jul 06, 2022 1:03 am

This is freaking hilarious. The city must be desperate to propose a Frankenfield
0 x
Win it for Fred

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Wed Jul 06, 2022 4:05 pm

Remember when we demolished all the cookie cutter, multi-use stadiums? Now owners are tripping over themselves to go back to them for the hopes that they might get one Super Bowl or Final Four every 15 years
0 x

minnesotacubsfan
Hall of Fame

Postby minnesotacubsfan » Wed Jul 06, 2022 4:43 pm

Derwood wrote:Remember when we demolished all the cookie cutter, multi-use stadiums? Now owners are tripping over themselves to go back to them for the hopes that they might get one Super Bowl or Final Four every 15 years

what? what new nfl teams stadium is considered "multi-use"? they are all nfl specific stadiums...and have been for the past 20-25 years
1 x

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Wed Jul 06, 2022 5:02 pm

minnesotacubsfan wrote:
Derwood wrote:Remember when we demolished all the cookie cutter, multi-use stadiums? Now owners are tripping over themselves to go back to them for the hopes that they might get one Super Bowl or Final Four every 15 years

what? what new nfl teams stadium is considered "multi-use"? they are all nfl specific stadiums...and have been for the past 20-25 years

Met Life is for all intents and purposes the vet or three rivers or the stadium it replaced:
MetLife Stadium is a multi-purpose stadium at the Meadowlands Sports Complex in East Rutherford, New Jersey, 5 mi (8 km) west of New York City. Opened in 2010 to replace Giants Stadium, it serves as the home for the New York Giants and New York Jets of the National Football League (NFL). At an approximate cost of $1.6 billion, it was the most expensive stadium built in the United States at the time of its completion.

Mercedes-Benz Stadium is a multi-purpose stadium located in Atlanta, Georgia, United States.[14] Opened in August 2017 as a replacement for the Georgia Dome, it serves as the home stadium of the Atlanta Falcons National Football League (NFL) and Atlanta United FC of Major League Soccer (MLS).

Lucas Oil Stadium is a multi-purpose stadium in Downtown Indianapolis, Indiana, United States. It replaced the RCA Dome as the home field of the National Football League (NFL)'s Indianapolis Colts and opened on August 16, 2008.[11]
0 x

minnesotacubsfan
Hall of Fame

Postby minnesotacubsfan » Wed Jul 06, 2022 5:44 pm

jersey cubs fan wrote:
minnesotacubsfan wrote:

Met Life is for all intents and purposes the vet or three rivers or the stadium it replaced:
MetLife Stadium is a multi-purpose stadium at the Meadowlands Sports Complex in East Rutherford, New Jersey, 5 mi (8 km) west of New York City. Opened in 2010 to replace Giants Stadium, it serves as the home for the New York Giants and New York Jets of the National Football League (NFL). At an approximate cost of $1.6 billion, it was the most expensive stadium built in the United States at the time of its completion.

Mercedes-Benz Stadium is a multi-purpose stadium located in Atlanta, Georgia, United States.[14] Opened in August 2017 as a replacement for the Georgia Dome, it serves as the home stadium of the Atlanta Falcons National Football League (NFL) and Atlanta United FC of Major League Soccer (MLS).

Lucas Oil Stadium is a multi-purpose stadium in Downtown Indianapolis, Indiana, United States. It replaced the RCA Dome as the home field of the National Football League (NFL)'s Indianapolis Colts and opened on August 16, 2008.[11]

all three of those stadiums were concepted as NFL stadiums. a true multi-purpose stadium (such as Minneapolis's old Metrodome which was designed for the Vikings, Twins, and Gophers) hasn't been built in decades. A soccer team playing in an NFL stadium isnt close to the same thing...in fact I bet outside of the Sounders, there isn't an MLS team that doesn't want its own soccer-specific stadium, most nfl stadiums are too big.

new nfl stadiums are developed with heaps of supporting amenities surrounding the stadium, Soldier Field doesnt have the surrounding area for that unless the city wants to buy the surrounding blocks to make it happen
Last edited by minnesotacubsfan on Wed Jul 06, 2022 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

CubinNY
Hall of Fame

Postby CubinNY » Wed Jul 06, 2022 5:50 pm

No more Bear weather in Arlington Heights. But you can get a great car at Al Piemonte Ford.

This kind of seems like a no-brainer for the Bears.
0 x

Tryptamine
5-Time All-Star

Postby Tryptamine » Wed Jul 06, 2022 6:32 pm

30 years ago....good god I'm old
0 x

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Wed Jul 06, 2022 6:45 pm

minnesotacubsfan wrote:
jersey cubs fan wrote:
minnesotacubsfan wrote:

all three of those stadiums were concepted as NFL stadiums. a true multi-purpose stadium (such as Minneapolis's old Metrodome which was designed for the Vikings, Twins, and Gophers) hasn't been built in decades. A soccer team playing in an NFL stadium isnt close to the same thing...in fact I bet outside of the Sounders, there isn't an MLS team that doesn't want its own soccer-specific stadium, most nfl stadiums are too big.

new nfl stadiums are developed with heaps of supporting amenities surrounding the stadium, Soldier Field doesnt have the surrounding area for that unless the city wants to buy the surrounding blocks to make it happen

The new "multi-purpose" stadium concept is a venue that is primarily used for football, but has a dome/retractable roof so that it can also host Wrestlemania or the Final Four or the NBA draft or whatever. Teams with fairly new stadiums (or remodels, like Cleveland and Chicago) are now enamored with spending millions on either new stadiums or retrofitting their current stadiums just to host the occasional indoor marquee event.
0 x

Return to “Other Sports”