Better Call Saul (Again)

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Re: Better Call Saul (Again)

Postby Sammy Sofa » Fri Aug 05, 2022 7:45 pm

Derwood wrote:
Sammy Sofa wrote: It's like thinking that scenes shot at night couldn't be as good as those shot during the day.

It's not like that at all

So what is it like.
0 x

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Fri Aug 05, 2022 7:48 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:
Derwood wrote:
Sammy Sofa wrote: It's like thinking that scenes shot at night couldn't be as good as those shot during the day.

So what is it like.

It's like we all have different aesthetics and like different things. You enjoy the B&W stuff in BCS, some of us don't. Okay. Neither of us is right or wrong
0 x

Tim
Hall of Fame

Postby Tim » Fri Aug 05, 2022 7:48 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:
Derwood wrote:

So what is it like.

For me, there are only limited circumstances where removing the color from a scene helps to focus on what matters most.

In all other circumstances, I prefer the color.
1 x
Spoiler: show

Old Style
Superstar

Postby Old Style » Fri Aug 05, 2022 7:49 pm

Derwood wrote:
Sammy Sofa wrote:
Derwood wrote:

So what is it like.

It's like we all have different aesthetics and like different things. You enjoy the B&W stuff in BCS, some of us don't. Okay. Neither of us is right or wrong

You clearly don't know how anonymous internet fights work, sir.
0 x
"I'm sorry, folks outside of SEC country, but a few facts are incontrovertible. They smoke better barbecue than you. Their women are prettier than your women. They play football better than your schools play football." - Andy Staples, SI

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Fri Aug 05, 2022 7:53 pm

I mean, it's really not hard to actually say, "I prefer color over B&W" as opposed to "it looks like a student film," or straight up that it's rare that something in B&W can look as good as something in color.
1 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Fri Aug 05, 2022 7:56 pm

Tim wrote:removing the color from a scene

It jumped out at me that you look at it that way in the first place. Any director/filmmaker worth their salt isn't shooting extensively in B&W with the mentality of, "I'm gonna film this in color, and then just make the color go away." Doing that will actually make the final product look like horsefeathers since you can't shoot them the same ways.
0 x

UMFan83
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby UMFan83 » Fri Aug 05, 2022 8:00 pm

Not sure this is going to convince anyone that doesn't like it, but to add context here is a snippet of interview from the director of Nippy about shooting in black and white:

Peter Gould did a really interesting thing. He sat down with Paul Donachie, our cinematographer who I love and adore, and myself and it was like taking a master class. He had pulled a bunch of black-and-white clips from various movies and he really talked about what he thought the light meant in certain places and he said, “I really would love it if you guys were inspired by this and could use this in the episode.” And it really did very much inspire Paul and me, and we found moments, like where Gene steps into the light and he’s being a good guy and he steps into the darkness and he’s not being a good guy. If you look in the garage, there are moments where he comes out of the dark, and he’s in the shopping mall and he’s just pulled off a great moment with Frank [Jim O’Heir] and he’s happily walking down the hallway and as soon as he gets out of the corner from the cameras, he steps into the darkness, into the shadows.

With black-and-white, some people may think it’s easier, but it’s not. I think it’s harder, because we live in a colored world. When you look at red or blue or yellow or green in black-and-white, they have different shadings. We literally had to get a color wheel to see what color looks like in black-and-white and then design the show accordingly, from wardrobe to set design, so that we could have these different levels of darkness and light and whatever was important to the emotional beat of the story at any given moment. That was really exciting. I had never done anything like that before. Paul and I, with the production designer and the costumer, we all worked really hard on being specific about what color everybody was wearing. Patterns, too! Patterns shoot differently in black-and-white. That was fun to do. Very exciting.
3 x
Win it for Fred

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Fri Aug 05, 2022 8:05 pm

UMFan83 wrote:Not sure this is going to convince anyone that doesn't like it, but to add context here is a snippet of interview from the director of Nippy about shooting in black and white:

Peter Gould did a really interesting thing. He sat down with Paul Donachie, our cinematographer who I love and adore, and myself and it was like taking a master class. He had pulled a bunch of black-and-white clips from various movies and he really talked about what he thought the light meant in certain places and he said, “I really would love it if you guys were inspired by this and could use this in the episode.” And it really did very much inspire Paul and me, and we found moments, like where Gene steps into the light and he’s being a good guy and he steps into the darkness and he’s not being a good guy. If you look in the garage, there are moments where he comes out of the dark, and he’s in the shopping mall and he’s just pulled off a great moment with Frank [Jim O’Heir] and he’s happily walking down the hallway and as soon as he gets out of the corner from the cameras, he steps into the darkness, into the shadows.

With black-and-white, some people may think it’s easier, but it’s not. I think it’s harder, because we live in a colored world. When you look at red or blue or yellow or green in black-and-white, they have different shadings. We literally had to get a color wheel to see what color looks like in black-and-white and then design the show accordingly, from wardrobe to set design, so that we could have these different levels of darkness and light and whatever was important to the emotional beat of the story at any given moment. That was really exciting. I had never done anything like that before. Paul and I, with the production designer and the costumer, we all worked really hard on being specific about what color everybody was wearing. Patterns, too! Patterns shoot differently in black-and-white. That was fun to do. Very exciting.

Yeah, I want see the team behind these shows shoot in as many different ways as they can think of.
0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Fri Aug 05, 2022 8:11 pm

Last edited by Sammy Sofa on Fri Aug 05, 2022 8:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
0 x

Tim
Hall of Fame

Postby Tim » Fri Aug 05, 2022 8:13 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:I mean, it's really not hard to actually say, "I prefer color over B&W" as opposed to "it looks like a student film," or straight up that it's rare that something in B&W can look as good as something in color.

I explicitly prefaced my statements with "For me", "I like", "I prefer", "I find", etc.
0 x
Spoiler: show

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Fri Aug 05, 2022 8:15 pm

Shut up; we've moved on to Bob's foot fetish.
1 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Fri Aug 05, 2022 8:45 pm

2 x

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Fri Aug 05, 2022 10:01 pm

Banedon wrote:

LOL the timing of the Derwood criticisms of the last two eps right after I posted this....

*chef's kiss*
4 x

big ball chunky time
Formerly imb!

Postby big ball chunky time » Fri Aug 05, 2022 10:10 pm

they could give me the last two episodes in braille and i would love them, in summation, shut the hell up
5 x
Duke Silver wrote:You've never been right about anything. You bitch and moan at the slightest hint of things not going right ... Suck my ass, you whiny little bitch.

minnesotacubsfan
Hall of Fame

Postby minnesotacubsfan » Sat Aug 06, 2022 12:31 am

Sammy Sofa wrote:

We JUST had this discussion, but was it cc who loved feet???

Also, derwood is right. B&W done poorly looks horsefeathering amateurish
0 x

big ball chunky time
Formerly imb!

Postby big ball chunky time » Sat Aug 06, 2022 12:44 am

thank god the BCS cinematographers are the best in the biz
3 x
Duke Silver wrote:You've never been right about anything. You bitch and moan at the slightest hint of things not going right ... Suck my ass, you whiny little bitch.

CubinNY
Hall of Fame

Postby CubinNY » Sat Aug 06, 2022 12:56 am

big ball chunky time wrote:thank god the BCS cinematographers are the best in the biz

Case in point: opening scene, Francesca plunging pot seeds. Just perfect
4 x

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Sat Aug 06, 2022 1:30 pm

1 x

Brian707
All-Star

Postby Brian707 » Sat Aug 06, 2022 3:35 pm

If only they shot Schindlers List in color.

I'm on the who horsefeathering cares if it was shot in b & w team
0 x

Old Style
Superstar

Postby Old Style » Mon Aug 08, 2022 2:29 pm

Gene taking a road trip?
1 x
"I'm sorry, folks outside of SEC country, but a few facts are incontrovertible. They smoke better barbecue than you. Their women are prettier than your women. They play football better than your schools play football." - Andy Staples, SI

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Mon Aug 08, 2022 3:01 pm

Old Style wrote:Gene taking a road trip?

Schanuz's comments kinda make me think that is a real strong possibility. Like, this will be their version of "Fly," except it's just Gene in a car.
1 x

Old Style
Superstar

Postby Old Style » Mon Aug 08, 2022 3:09 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:

Schanuz's comments kinda make me think that is a real strong possibility. Like, this will be their version of "Fly," except it's just Gene in a car.

2nd to last episode in the series so I doubt it's comparable to Fly at all.
0 x

Brian707
All-Star

Postby Brian707 » Mon Aug 08, 2022 3:19 pm

Not sure if anyone watches "Talking Saul" but there is one tonight following the episode.
1 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Mon Aug 08, 2022 3:39 pm

Old Style wrote:
Sammy Sofa wrote:

Well, now you're basically daring it to happen.
0 x

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Mon Aug 08, 2022 3:44 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:
Old Style wrote:
Sammy Sofa wrote:

Well, now you're basically daring it to happen.

A bottle episode as the penultimate ep would be a daring do.
0 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

Return to “Social”