Better Call Saul (Again)

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Re: Better Call Saul (Again)

Postby Derwood » Fri Aug 05, 2022 4:02 pm

CubinNY wrote:
Derwood wrote:These last two episodes have been interesting for sure, but I don't think I've like them as much as everyone else.

First, the black and white for the early gene "flash-forwards" was a cool aesthetic, but full episodes in B&W feel like bad student films and remove a great deal of the beautiful colors and cinematography I love about the show.

Second, the tone is SOOOO different than the rest of the show. There are times when it doesn't even feel like the same show.

Third, it feels like we've invested in six seasons of character development for Jimmy/Saul/Gene to...what? Learn that he's just the horsefeathers person we thought he was the first time we saw him in BB?

The exact reasons you don't like it is what makes it great.

A great deal of the color of Jimmy's life was removed when he vacuumed himself. He is Jimmy, just like his brother said.

I understand the choice, I just haven't enjoyed that choice over long episodes.
0 x

CubinNY
Hall of Fame

Postby CubinNY » Fri Aug 05, 2022 4:09 pm

Derwood wrote:
CubinNY wrote:
Derwood wrote:These last two episodes have been interesting for sure, but I don't think I've like them as much as everyone else.

First, the black and white for the early gene "flash-forwards" was a cool aesthetic, but full episodes in B&W feel like bad student films and remove a great deal of the beautiful colors and cinematography I love about the show.

Second, the tone is SOOOO different than the rest of the show. There are times when it doesn't even feel like the same show.

Third, it feels like we've invested in six seasons of character development for Jimmy/Saul/Gene to...what? Learn that he's just the horsefeathers person we thought he was the first time we saw him in BB?

The exact reasons you don't like it is what makes it great.

A great deal of the color of Jimmy's life was removed when he vacuumed himself. He is Jimmy, just like his brother said.

I kind of don't know what you expected. He's not connected to the players or the game. His life is boring and uninteresting and now he sees an opportunity to get back to being a small-time conman. He's a scumbag always was, always will be. Conmen are always charming. Jimmy's charm is what makes people want to root for him. But he was never in it for the little guy. He was always running a con. For a while, he saw the angles in law and got in way, way over his head. Now he's back to small-time stuff.

I hope the cops in Omaha don't realize he's Saul and he gets sent away for like 6 years for B&E, it will be such a fitting end to his story. It would deny him of big notoriety. Hell, he may confess, just to get the juice he once had. It's why he keeps watching those tapes and why he called Franchesca.
0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Fri Aug 05, 2022 4:15 pm

I just find it funny because Derwood both has repeatedly brought up what he sees as the automatic limitations of prequels, and now he's complaining that Jimmy is indeed, yes, the scumbag we met in BB. Like, we totally knew what was coming.

Sometimes you're just watching a descent, man. Remember that Walter White guy?
3 x

Old Style
Superstar

Postby Old Style » Fri Aug 05, 2022 4:30 pm

CubinNY wrote:
Derwood wrote:
CubinNY wrote:The exact reasons you don't like it is what makes it great.

I kind of don't know what you expected. He's not connected to the players or the game. His life is boring and uninteresting and now he sees an opportunity to get back to being a small-time conman. He's a scumbag always was, always will be. Conmen are always charming. Jimmy's charm is what makes people want to root for him. But he was never in it for the little guy. He was always running a con. For a while, he saw the angles in law and got in way, way over his head. Now he's back to small-time stuff.

I hope the cops in Omaha don't realize he's Saul and he gets sent away for like 6 years for B&E, it will be such a fitting end to his story. It would deny him of big notoriety. Hell, he may confess, just to get the juice he once had. It's why he keeps watching those tapes and why he called Franchesca.

I think he called Francesca mainly to determine how hot the Feds were still on his trail. But I agree he definitely misses the Saul Goodman days.
2 x
"I'm sorry, folks outside of SEC country, but a few facts are incontrovertible. They smoke better barbecue than you. Their women are prettier than your women. They play football better than your schools play football." - Andy Staples, SI

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Fri Aug 05, 2022 4:54 pm

Old Style wrote:
CubinNY wrote:
Derwood wrote:

I think he called Francesca mainly to determine how hot the Feds were still on his trail. But I agree he definitely misses the Saul Goodman days.

And because that's totally his kink. Dude loves Francesca being disgusted with him.
1 x

squally1313
5-Time All-Star

Postby squally1313 » Fri Aug 05, 2022 4:59 pm

Let me see if I can maybe phrase my issue with the last couple episodes in a different way: At this point, with a couple episodes left, I think I would have been fine with them scrapping all of the Gene/Omaha timeline and using that 4-5 hours(ish?) on the pre-BB time line. The build up to the S6 first half finale and the first episode of the last half....I don't really have anything close to that anymore. I'm savoring the last couple episodes just because I know it's coming to an end, but....I've always had a hot take that BB should have just ended in the desert (and Walt shouldn't have made it out alive). This feels pretty similar to those last couple episodes.
0 x

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Fri Aug 05, 2022 5:12 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:I just find it funny because Derwood both has repeatedly brought up what he sees as the automatic limitations of prequels, and now he's complaining that Jimmy is indeed, yes, the scumbag we met in BB. Like, we totally knew what was coming.

If it was JUST a prequel, then yeah, sure, the story is an exercise in "how did this character we already know turn out this way?" Lucas screwed the pooch on this front in the Star Wars prequels.

But since they decided to show us a micro-sequel to the story as well, they have the opportunity to show change. If they choose to go with "yep, he was always who you thought he was", then...great? But I can't imagine that Gilligan went into this show thinking that we would spend six seasons to end here.

That said, I am open to being WILDLY wrong about all of this (as all of the "let me guess what happens next" posts in this thread have been, lol), so I'm withholding final judgement until we see where it goes.

I think learning what happened with that phone call will unlock everything
0 x

Old Style
Superstar

Postby Old Style » Fri Aug 05, 2022 5:22 pm

Derwood wrote:I think learning what happened with that phone call will unlock everything

I really hope this happens on Monday and not the finale.
0 x
"I'm sorry, folks outside of SEC country, but a few facts are incontrovertible. They smoke better barbecue than you. Their women are prettier than your women. They play football better than your schools play football." - Andy Staples, SI

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Fri Aug 05, 2022 5:27 pm

Derwood wrote:
Sammy Sofa wrote:I just find it funny because Derwood both has repeatedly brought up what he sees as the automatic limitations of prequels, and now he's complaining that Jimmy is indeed, yes, the scumbag we met in BB. Like, we totally knew what was coming.

If it was JUST a prequel, then yeah, sure, the story is an exercise in "how did this character we already know turn out this way?" Lucas screwed the pooch on this front in the Star Wars prequels.

But since they decided to show us a micro-sequel to the story as well, they have the opportunity to show change. If they choose to go with "yep, he was always who you thought he was", then...great? But I can't imagine that Gilligan went into this show thinking that we would spend six seasons to end here.

Dude, honestly, if you think Gene is the same as the, quite frankly, two-dimensional character we knew in BB, I don't know what to tell you. That's just flat out wrong.
1 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Fri Aug 05, 2022 5:28 pm

Old Style wrote:
Derwood wrote:I think learning what happened with that phone call will unlock everything

I really hope this happens on Monday and not the finale.

It would not surprise me at all if the cold open was her end of that call.
0 x

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Fri Aug 05, 2022 5:36 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:
Derwood wrote:

Dude, honestly, if you think Gene is the same as the, quite frankly, two-dimensional character we knew in BB, I don't know what to tell you. That's just flat out wrong.

The same? No, but the fact that he goes ahead with the cancer guy is REALLY disappointing
0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Fri Aug 05, 2022 5:46 pm

Derwood wrote:The same? No, but the fact that he goes ahead with the cancer guy is REALLY disappointing

Yeah, it's a real bummer that there's no more episodes left to see how this is going to play out.

[expletive], DERWOOD.
1 x

Old Style
Superstar

Postby Old Style » Fri Aug 05, 2022 5:47 pm

Derwood wrote:
Sammy Sofa wrote:
Derwood wrote:

The same? No, but the fact that he goes ahead with the cancer guy is REALLY disappointing

Well the title of the episode was Breaking Bad and while that can apply to the flashback scenes with Walt & Jesse the episode titles often have multiple meanings. I took Gene going ahead with the cancer guy at the end of the episode as his true "breaking bad" moment.
0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Fri Aug 05, 2022 5:50 pm

Also: gee, maybe the reason we're seeing him doing that contrasted with when he met Walt was because the latter was a situation where he thought he knew the angles, and he ended up being pushed around/manipulated by the guy he thought he had an edge over?

Like, yeah, it's supposed to be "disappointing;" Jimmy is so petty and burnt that he's willing to put everything on the line because everyone saying, "aw, give the guy a break, he has cancer," just keeps reminding him how his life was demolished because of how he dealt with Walter White. He flat out says what he's doing in the last episode; he's going after guys he feels arguably deserve this to happen to them. To him, who cares if the guy has cancer? A guy with cancer can still horsefeathers over other people, same as everyone else.
2 x

minnesotacubsfan
Hall of Fame

Postby minnesotacubsfan » Fri Aug 05, 2022 5:54 pm

I enjoy the Gene stuff if for no other reason other then I want to see what happens to Jimmy. I have a feeling he dies....but then you know with these writers

I do get a bit annoyed with the black and white because I love the cinematography of the whole show, but it's not that detrimental to my overall interest. In some ways it reminds me of the first season where the filming wasn't as crisp as the latter seasons
0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Fri Aug 05, 2022 5:55 pm

You and Derwood talking like filming in B&W can't be as beautiful or visually impressive as something in color is....

It's something.
2 x

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Fri Aug 05, 2022 5:58 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:You and Derwood talking like filming in B&W can't be as beautiful or visually impressive as something in color is....

It's something.

Not what either of us said, but sure
0 x

Ding Dong Johnson
Crap Bag

Postby Ding Dong Johnson » Fri Aug 05, 2022 5:58 pm

Team Derwood here. horsefeathers anything new in black and white. This ain't Leave it to Beaver.
1 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Fri Aug 05, 2022 6:01 pm

Derwood wrote:
Sammy Sofa wrote:You and Derwood talking like filming in B&W can't be as beautiful or visually impressive as something in color is....

It's something.

Shhhhhhhh. Just shhh.
0 x

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Fri Aug 05, 2022 6:11 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:
Derwood wrote:

It's something.

Shhhhhhhh. Just shhh.

Black and white CAN be as beautiful as color, but in BCS, it just isn't. THAT'S the problem.
0 x

Tim
Hall of Fame

Postby Tim » Fri Aug 05, 2022 6:21 pm

It's something.

Honestly...I think it is pretty rarely the case.
0 x
Spoiler: show

cl smooth
All-Star

Postby cl smooth » Fri Aug 05, 2022 6:38 pm

team sepia over here.
1 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Fri Aug 05, 2022 7:15 pm

Tim wrote:

It's something.

No, that's ridiculous to say, right up there with saying that BCS looks like a "student film" when they're shooting B&W. It's like thinking that scenes shot at night couldn't be as good as those shot during the day.
0 x

Tim
Hall of Fame

Postby Tim » Fri Aug 05, 2022 7:36 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:
Tim wrote:

It's something.

No, that's ridiculous to say, right up there with saying that BCS looks like a "student film" when they're shooting B&W. It's like thinking that scenes shot at night couldn't be as good as those shot during the day.

Call it a personal preference if you like.
0 x
Spoiler: show

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Fri Aug 05, 2022 7:43 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote: It's like thinking that scenes shot at night couldn't be as good as those shot during the day.

It's not like that at all
0 x

Return to “Social”