Dogs Are Awesome, Yay Dogs!

User avatar
jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF
Posts: 64202
Joined: Mon Apr 09, 2007 6:38 pm
Location: Hoboken squat cobbler
x 3941
x 14561

Re: Dogs Are Awesome, Yay Dogs!

Postby jersey cubs fan » Thu Dec 17, 2020 2:12 am

2 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

User avatar
CyHawk_Cub
Superstar
Posts: 11632
Joined: Fri Jul 06, 2007 9:24 pm
x 720
x 5879

Re: Dogs Are Awesome, Yay Dogs!

Postby CyHawk_Cub » Sun Jan 03, 2021 5:15 am

4 x

TomtheBombadil
Superstar
Posts: 11691
Joined: Thu Jun 18, 2015 8:35 pm
x 1234
x 1203

Re: Dogs Are Awesome, Yay Dogs!

Postby TomtheBombadil » Thu Mar 04, 2021 5:39 pm

I don't own a dog but *did* just read the Tale of Beren and Lúthien:

Image
0 x
Spoiler: show
Image


"We struck down evil with the mighty sword of teamwork and the hammer of not-bickering." - The Shoveler

User avatar
javy knows my name
previously Beertown Cubbie
Posts: 9544
Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2007 10:46 pm
Location: Chicago
x 1963
x 1127

Re: Dogs Are Awesome, Yay Dogs!

Postby javy knows my name » Thu Mar 04, 2021 6:30 pm

This is the proof I needed that there's no thread Tom can't ruin
5 x
neely wrote:but in reality
2006 .364
2007 .351
2008 his one big year
2009 .347
2010 90 games played
2011 .323
what do you call that?

User avatar
CyHawk_Cub
Superstar
Posts: 11632
Joined: Fri Jul 06, 2007 9:24 pm
x 720
x 5879

Re: Dogs Are Awesome, Yay Dogs!

Postby CyHawk_Cub » Fri Apr 23, 2021 5:24 pm

2 x

soccer10k
Hall of Fame
Posts: 39944
Joined: Wed Feb 08, 2006 7:21 pm
Location: Sacramento
x 2029

Re: Dogs Are Awesome, Yay Dogs!

Postby soccer10k » Mon May 03, 2021 11:15 pm

I got a new best friend!

Image
11 x
In Theo we trust.

User avatar
CyHawk_Cub
Superstar
Posts: 11632
Joined: Fri Jul 06, 2007 9:24 pm
x 720
x 5879

Re: Dogs Are Awesome, Yay Dogs!

Postby CyHawk_Cub » Wed May 05, 2021 11:26 pm

6 x

User avatar
Derwood
Stall Monitor
Posts: 76979
Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2003 4:44 pm
Location: 375 Miles East of Wrigley
x 1863
x 4492

Re: Dogs Are Awesome, Yay Dogs!

Postby Derwood » Mon May 31, 2021 10:40 pm

One of my dogs has lashed out at/attacked my other dog three times in the past two days. I can’t figure out what is triggering g her, but she goes for the neck and I need to physically force open her jaws to get her to let go. My wife is terrified that it will happen when I’m not here.

Google has given me plenty of vague info that hasn’t been particularly helpful
0 x

NOLA
5-Time All-Star
Posts: 6523
Joined: Sun Jun 01, 2003 3:17 am
Location: Bywater, New Orleans
x 2323
x 1738
Contact:

Re: Dogs Are Awesome, Yay Dogs!

Postby NOLA » Mon May 31, 2021 10:47 pm

Derwood wrote:One of my dogs has lashed out at/attacked my other dog three times in the past two days. I can’t figure out what is triggering g her, but she goes for the neck and I need to physically force open her jaws to get her to let go. My wife is terrified that it will happen when I’m not here.

Google has given me plenty of vague info that hasn’t been particularly helpful

My two cents...take her to the vet first. There may be something bothering her that’s making her feel threatened. Are they near food or something when she lashes out?
0 x

User avatar
Derwood
Stall Monitor
Posts: 76979
Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2003 4:44 pm
Location: 375 Miles East of Wrigley
x 1863
x 4492

Re: Dogs Are Awesome, Yay Dogs!

Postby Derwood » Mon May 31, 2021 11:10 pm

NOLA wrote:
Derwood wrote:One of my dogs has lashed out at/attacked my other dog three times in the past two days. I can’t figure out what is triggering g her, but she goes for the neck and I need to physically force open her jaws to get her to let go. My wife is terrified that it will happen when I’m not here.

Google has given me plenty of vague info that hasn’t been particularly helpful

My two cents...take her to the vet first. There may be something bothering her that’s making her feel threatened. Are they near food or something when she lashes out?


Coincidentally she's going to the vet tomorrow. It hasn't been food related; once was when the mailman came (though this happens daily and doesn't result in violence) and once was when we were letting them outside.

They just came back from two days at the boarding place, so I wonder if she's stressed out
0 x

We Got The Whole 9
5-Time All-Star
Posts: 5421
Joined: Tue Oct 04, 2016 2:38 am
x 961

Re: Dogs Are Awesome, Yay Dogs!

Postby We Got The Whole 9 » Mon May 31, 2021 11:16 pm

Sure seems like something happened at that boarding place, if this is all coming out of the blue. You really have no idea what went on there.

I know peoples circumstances are different and something you can't control but I would never board my dog. I'd find a neighbor or coworker or somebody I trust to watch them.
0 x

User avatar
Derwood
Stall Monitor
Posts: 76979
Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2003 4:44 pm
Location: 375 Miles East of Wrigley
x 1863
x 4492

Re: Dogs Are Awesome, Yay Dogs!

Postby Derwood » Mon May 31, 2021 11:18 pm

We Got The Whole 9 wrote:Sure seems like something happened at that boarding place, if this is all coming out of the blue. You really have no idea what went on there.

I know peoples circumstances are different and something you can't control but I would never board my dog. I'd find a neighbor or coworker or somebody I trust to watch them.


She's been there several times before without incident
0 x

NOLA
5-Time All-Star
Posts: 6523
Joined: Sun Jun 01, 2003 3:17 am
Location: Bywater, New Orleans
x 2323
x 1738
Contact:

Re: Dogs Are Awesome, Yay Dogs!

Postby NOLA » Mon May 31, 2021 11:33 pm

Derwood wrote:
We Got The Whole 9 wrote:Sure seems like something happened at that boarding place, if this is all coming out of the blue. You really have no idea what went on there.

I know peoples circumstances are different and something you can't control but I would never board my dog. I'd find a neighbor or coworker or somebody I trust to watch them.


She's been there several times before without incident

It could be something that scared her at the boarder, even if it was as innocent as a mean dog there. But yeah, really talk to your vet about that. It might be something physical.
0 x

User avatar
Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts
Posts: 88886
Joined: Sat Oct 22, 2005 3:45 am
Location: Washington DC
x 20527
x 21834

Re: Dogs Are Awesome, Yay Dogs!

Postby Sammy Sofa » Tue Jun 01, 2021 1:36 am

Pet-sitters are the way to go, IMO. I just can never trust boarding places.
0 x

User avatar
Derwood
Stall Monitor
Posts: 76979
Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2003 4:44 pm
Location: 375 Miles East of Wrigley
x 1863
x 4492

Re: Dogs Are Awesome, Yay Dogs!

Postby Derwood » Tue Jun 01, 2021 2:35 am

Sammy Sofa wrote:Pet-sitters are the way to go, IMO. I just can never trust boarding places.


When we go out of town, we have a woman who house/pet sits for us. In this instance, we had a graduation party open house where about 50 people were in and out over an afternoon.
0 x

User avatar
jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF
Posts: 64202
Joined: Mon Apr 09, 2007 6:38 pm
Location: Hoboken squat cobbler
x 3941
x 14561

Re: Dogs Are Awesome, Yay Dogs!

Postby jersey cubs fan » Tue Jun 01, 2021 3:54 am

Derwood wrote:
Sammy Sofa wrote:Pet-sitters are the way to go, IMO. I just can never trust boarding places.


When we go out of town, we have a woman who house/pet sits for us. In this instance, we had a graduation party open house where about 50 people were in and out over an afternoon.

You sent the dog away while home?
0 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

ChiCubsFan
5-Time All-Star
Posts: 5106
Joined: Thu Jul 03, 2003 4:51 pm
Location: Chicago
x 239
x 229

Re: Dogs Are Awesome, Yay Dogs!

Postby ChiCubsFan » Tue Jun 01, 2021 12:37 pm

jersey cubs fan wrote:
Derwood wrote:
Sammy Sofa wrote:Pet-sitters are the way to go, IMO. I just can never trust boarding places.


When we go out of town, we have a woman who house/pet sits for us. In this instance, we had a graduation party open house where about 50 people were in and out over an afternoon.

You sent the dog away while home?


Plenty of people do this as their dogs don’t do well with large groups of people/strangers. I don’t, but I get it as my dog can be quite the pain in the ass during parties.

I would also never leave my dog at a boarder, but I know a lot of people who do and don’t ever have issues. Seems very likely something happened during the boarding this time.
0 x
ChiCubsFan-Mark

Ski wrote:"If you don't commit suicide if the Cubs lose in the first round, you're not a Cubs fan."

User avatar
Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts
Posts: 88886
Joined: Sat Oct 22, 2005 3:45 am
Location: Washington DC
x 20527
x 21834

Re: Dogs Are Awesome, Yay Dogs!

Postby Sammy Sofa » Tue Jun 01, 2021 12:40 pm

Yeah, it doesn't sound too weird in those circumstances; plenty of dogs can't just be closed off in another part of the house or tied up outside when they know a bunch of people are around because they'll just go bonkers.
0 x

User avatar
WrigleyField 22
Superstar
Posts: 17611
Joined: Tue Nov 25, 2003 10:48 pm
Location: This is the Bad Place
x 5594
x 2823
Contact:

Re: Dogs Are Awesome, Yay Dogs!

Postby WrigleyField 22 » Tue Jun 01, 2021 2:14 pm

We send my German shepherd to a "Day care", but have never done overnight boarding. Though I definitely don't have a broad objection to it, I'd definitely prefer a house/dog sitter if possible. Or something like a private trainer who will board.

Also, yes to having to send dogs away for parties. For whatever reason, my older dog just hates my father-in-law, and then really gets the young German shepherd into a frenzy too. So we now send away the older dog to my parents when we know he's coming by. And the GSD is pretty much okay with him now. But we send the GSD away every other week when the cleaning ladies come because she's frankly just scary to people and this cleaning services doesn't send the same people every time. When we used to have a cleaning lady who was the same person every time we were able to just expose her to the dog until they were both comfortable and knew each other. But that wouldn't work now. So day care it is. They do have a video stream so we can snoop at least. But I've never had an issue and they apparently love her and say she's their best GSD which is shocking to us. But it works.
0 x
Image

User avatar
jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF
Posts: 64202
Joined: Mon Apr 09, 2007 6:38 pm
Location: Hoboken squat cobbler
x 3941
x 14561

Re: Dogs Are Awesome, Yay Dogs!

Postby jersey cubs fan » Tue Jun 01, 2021 2:31 pm

ChiCubsFan wrote:
jersey cubs fan wrote:
Derwood wrote:
When we go out of town, we have a woman who house/pet sits for us. In this instance, we had a graduation party open house where about 50 people were in and out over an afternoon.

You sent the dog away while home?


Plenty of people do this as their dogs don’t do well with large groups of people/strangers. I don’t, but I get it as my dog can be quite the pain in the ass during parties.

I would also never leave my dog at a boarder, but I know a lot of people who do and don’t ever have issues. Seems very likely something happened during the boarding this time.


I cannot imagine the scenario where a dog doesn't do well when there are people at the house but does do well at a boarder.
0 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

User avatar
WrigleyField 22
Superstar
Posts: 17611
Joined: Tue Nov 25, 2003 10:48 pm
Location: This is the Bad Place
x 5594
x 2823
Contact:

Re: Dogs Are Awesome, Yay Dogs!

Postby WrigleyField 22 » Tue Jun 01, 2021 2:39 pm

jersey cubs fan wrote:
ChiCubsFan wrote:
jersey cubs fan wrote:You sent the dog away while home?


Plenty of people do this as their dogs don’t do well with large groups of people/strangers. I don’t, but I get it as my dog can be quite the pain in the ass during parties.

I would also never leave my dog at a boarder, but I know a lot of people who do and don’t ever have issues. Seems very likely something happened during the boarding this time.


I cannot imagine the scenario where a dog doesn't do well when there are people at the house but does do well at a boarder.

Dogs who are aggressive with strangers, but don't have any serious separation related anxiety issues? Although, not every boarder is created equally I'm sure.

Edit- specifically some dogs are protective of their territory with strangers. The boarder might not unleash that if they don't associate it as their territory. Or if staff there is familiar because they go regularly , are no longer strangers.
0 x
Image

Thed Hoyerstein
All-Star
Posts: 1378
Joined: Mon Aug 13, 2012 3:25 pm
Location: Old Town
x 501
x 427

Re: Dogs Are Awesome, Yay Dogs!

Postby Thed Hoyerstein » Tue Jun 01, 2021 2:56 pm

WrigleyField 22 wrote:
jersey cubs fan wrote:
ChiCubsFan wrote:
Plenty of people do this as their dogs don’t do well with large groups of people/strangers. I don’t, but I get it as my dog can be quite the pain in the ass during parties.

I would also never leave my dog at a boarder, but I know a lot of people who do and don’t ever have issues. Seems very likely something happened during the boarding this time.


I cannot imagine the scenario where a dog doesn't do well when there are people at the house but does do well at a boarder.

Dogs who are aggressive with strangers, but don't have any serious separation related anxiety issues? Although, not every boarder is created equally I'm sure.

Edit- specifically some dogs are protective of their territory with strangers. The boarder might not unleash that if they don't associate it as their territory. Or if staff there is familiar because they go regularly , are no longer strangers.


That's basically our dog, he's very territorial and protective against strangers at home but an absolute prince with staff at doggie daycare and at the vet since it's away from home.
0 x
“So my threshold is: ‘Is this a noodle?’”

User avatar
Derwood
Stall Monitor
Posts: 76979
Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2003 4:44 pm
Location: 375 Miles East of Wrigley
x 1863
x 4492

Re: Dogs Are Awesome, Yay Dogs!

Postby Derwood » Tue Jun 01, 2021 4:08 pm

My dogs aren’t aggressive or territorial with strangers, they’re overly friendly and just won’t leave people alone. They’ll also steal your food
0 x

Tryptamine
5-Time All-Star
Posts: 6991
Joined: Tue Jul 29, 2008 8:13 pm
x 16
x 467

Re: Dogs Are Awesome, Yay Dogs!

Postby Tryptamine » Tue Jun 01, 2021 5:10 pm

Derwood wrote:My dogs aren’t aggressive or territorial with strangers, they’re overly friendly and just won’t leave people alone. They’ll also steal your food


This would be my concern too. My 16 month old puppy/dog wants to play and play constantly, but he doesn't realize that he's 70+lbs and I'm afraid that if he sees a kid he's going to knock them over trying to play with them. With only adults I'm sure he'd just be annoying and I can live with that.
0 x

stitchface
Superstar
Posts: 13345
Joined: Thu Jun 26, 2003 3:28 am
Location: On a levee somewhere
x 114
x 326

Re: Dogs Are Awesome, Yay Dogs!

Postby stitchface » Tue Jun 01, 2021 5:19 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:Pet-sitters are the way to go, IMO. I just can never trust boarding places.


I guess if they stay at the house. Having people visit once or twice a day is not good for dogs, IMO. But it certainly helps to have a boarder you trust.
0 x


Return to “Social”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 9 guests