Dogs Are Awesome, Yay Dogs!

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Re: Dogs Are Awesome, Yay Dogs!

Postby jersey cubs fan » Thu Dec 17, 2020 2:12 am

2 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

CyHawk_Cub
Superstar

Postby CyHawk_Cub » Sun Jan 03, 2021 5:15 am

4 x

TomtheBombadil
Superstar

Postby TomtheBombadil » Thu Mar 04, 2021 5:39 pm

I don't own a dog but *did* just read the Tale of Beren and Lúthien:

0 x
Spoiler: show

"We struck down evil with the mighty sword of teamwork and the hammer of not-bickering." - The Shoveler

javy knows my name
previously Beertown Cubbie

Postby javy knows my name » Thu Mar 04, 2021 6:30 pm

This is the proof I needed that there's no thread Tom can't ruin
5 x
neely wrote:but in reality
2006 .364
2007 .351
2008 his one big year
2009 .347
2010 90 games played
2011 .323
what do you call that?

CyHawk_Cub
Superstar

Postby CyHawk_Cub » Fri Apr 23, 2021 5:24 pm

2 x

soccer10k
Hall of Fame

Postby soccer10k » Mon May 03, 2021 11:15 pm

I got a new best friend!

11 x
In Theo we trust.

CyHawk_Cub
Superstar

Postby CyHawk_Cub » Wed May 05, 2021 11:26 pm

6 x

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Mon May 31, 2021 10:40 pm

One of my dogs has lashed out at/attacked my other dog three times in the past two days. I can’t figure out what is triggering g her, but she goes for the neck and I need to physically force open her jaws to get her to let go. My wife is terrified that it will happen when I’m not here.

Google has given me plenty of vague info that hasn’t been particularly helpful
0 x

NOLA
5-Time All-Star

Postby NOLA » Mon May 31, 2021 10:47 pm

Derwood wrote:One of my dogs has lashed out at/attacked my other dog three times in the past two days. I can’t figure out what is triggering g her, but she goes for the neck and I need to physically force open her jaws to get her to let go. My wife is terrified that it will happen when I’m not here.

My two cents...take her to the vet first. There may be something bothering her that’s making her feel threatened. Are they near food or something when she lashes out?
0 x

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Mon May 31, 2021 11:10 pm

NOLA wrote:
Derwood wrote:One of my dogs has lashed out at/attacked my other dog three times in the past two days. I can’t figure out what is triggering g her, but she goes for the neck and I need to physically force open her jaws to get her to let go. My wife is terrified that it will happen when I’m not here.

My two cents...take her to the vet first. There may be something bothering her that’s making her feel threatened. Are they near food or something when she lashes out?

Coincidentally she's going to the vet tomorrow. It hasn't been food related; once was when the mailman came (though this happens daily and doesn't result in violence) and once was when we were letting them outside.

They just came back from two days at the boarding place, so I wonder if she's stressed out
0 x

We Got The Whole 9
5-Time All-Star

Postby We Got The Whole 9 » Mon May 31, 2021 11:16 pm

Sure seems like something happened at that boarding place, if this is all coming out of the blue. You really have no idea what went on there.

I know peoples circumstances are different and something you can't control but I would never board my dog. I'd find a neighbor or coworker or somebody I trust to watch them.
0 x

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Mon May 31, 2021 11:18 pm

We Got The Whole 9 wrote:Sure seems like something happened at that boarding place, if this is all coming out of the blue. You really have no idea what went on there.

I know peoples circumstances are different and something you can't control but I would never board my dog. I'd find a neighbor or coworker or somebody I trust to watch them.

She's been there several times before without incident
0 x

NOLA
5-Time All-Star

Postby NOLA » Mon May 31, 2021 11:33 pm

Derwood wrote:
We Got The Whole 9 wrote:Sure seems like something happened at that boarding place, if this is all coming out of the blue. You really have no idea what went on there.

She's been there several times before without incident

It could be something that scared her at the boarder, even if it was as innocent as a mean dog there. But yeah, really talk to your vet about that. It might be something physical.
0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Tue Jun 01, 2021 1:36 am

Pet-sitters are the way to go, IMO. I just can never trust boarding places.
0 x

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Tue Jun 01, 2021 2:35 am

Sammy Sofa wrote:Pet-sitters are the way to go, IMO. I just can never trust boarding places.

When we go out of town, we have a woman who house/pet sits for us. In this instance, we had a graduation party open house where about 50 people were in and out over an afternoon.
0 x

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Tue Jun 01, 2021 3:54 am

Derwood wrote:
Sammy Sofa wrote:Pet-sitters are the way to go, IMO. I just can never trust boarding places.

When we go out of town, we have a woman who house/pet sits for us. In this instance, we had a graduation party open house where about 50 people were in and out over an afternoon.

You sent the dog away while home?
0 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

ChiCubsFan
5-Time All-Star

Postby ChiCubsFan » Tue Jun 01, 2021 12:37 pm

jersey cubs fan wrote:
Derwood wrote:

Plenty of people do this as their dogs don’t do well with large groups of people/strangers. I don’t, but I get it as my dog can be quite the pain in the ass during parties.

I would also never leave my dog at a boarder, but I know a lot of people who do and don’t ever have issues. Seems very likely something happened during the boarding this time.
0 x
ChiCubsFan-Mark

Ski wrote:"If you don't commit suicide if the Cubs lose in the first round, you're not a Cubs fan."

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Tue Jun 01, 2021 12:40 pm

Yeah, it doesn't sound too weird in those circumstances; plenty of dogs can't just be closed off in another part of the house or tied up outside when they know a bunch of people are around because they'll just go bonkers.
0 x

WrigleyField 22
Superstar

Postby WrigleyField 22 » Tue Jun 01, 2021 2:14 pm

We send my German shepherd to a "Day care", but have never done overnight boarding. Though I definitely don't have a broad objection to it, I'd definitely prefer a house/dog sitter if possible. Or something like a private trainer who will board.

Also, yes to having to send dogs away for parties. For whatever reason, my older dog just hates my father-in-law, and then really gets the young German shepherd into a frenzy too. So we now send away the older dog to my parents when we know he's coming by. And the GSD is pretty much okay with him now. But we send the GSD away every other week when the cleaning ladies come because she's frankly just scary to people and this cleaning services doesn't send the same people every time. When we used to have a cleaning lady who was the same person every time we were able to just expose her to the dog until they were both comfortable and knew each other. But that wouldn't work now. So day care it is. They do have a video stream so we can snoop at least. But I've never had an issue and they apparently love her and say she's their best GSD which is shocking to us. But it works.
0 x

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Tue Jun 01, 2021 2:31 pm

ChiCubsFan wrote:
jersey cubs fan wrote:
Derwood wrote:

Plenty of people do this as their dogs don’t do well with large groups of people/strangers. I don’t, but I get it as my dog can be quite the pain in the ass during parties.

I would also never leave my dog at a boarder, but I know a lot of people who do and don’t ever have issues. Seems very likely something happened during the boarding this time.

I cannot imagine the scenario where a dog doesn't do well when there are people at the house but does do well at a boarder.
0 x

WrigleyField 22
Superstar

Postby WrigleyField 22 » Tue Jun 01, 2021 2:39 pm

jersey cubs fan wrote:
ChiCubsFan wrote:
jersey cubs fan wrote:You sent the dog away while home?

I cannot imagine the scenario where a dog doesn't do well when there are people at the house but does do well at a boarder.

Dogs who are aggressive with strangers, but don't have any serious separation related anxiety issues? Although, not every boarder is created equally I'm sure.

Edit- specifically some dogs are protective of their territory with strangers. The boarder might not unleash that if they don't associate it as their territory. Or if staff there is familiar because they go regularly , are no longer strangers.
0 x

Thed Hoyerstein
All-Star

Postby Thed Hoyerstein » Tue Jun 01, 2021 2:56 pm

WrigleyField 22 wrote:
jersey cubs fan wrote:
ChiCubsFan wrote:

Dogs who are aggressive with strangers, but don't have any serious separation related anxiety issues? Although, not every boarder is created equally I'm sure.

Edit- specifically some dogs are protective of their territory with strangers. The boarder might not unleash that if they don't associate it as their territory. Or if staff there is familiar because they go regularly , are no longer strangers.

That's basically our dog, he's very territorial and protective against strangers at home but an absolute prince with staff at doggie daycare and at the vet since it's away from home.
0 x
“So my threshold is: ‘Is this a noodle?’”

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Tue Jun 01, 2021 4:08 pm

My dogs aren’t aggressive or territorial with strangers, they’re overly friendly and just won’t leave people alone. They’ll also steal your food
0 x

Tryptamine
5-Time All-Star

Postby Tryptamine » Tue Jun 01, 2021 5:10 pm

Derwood wrote:My dogs aren’t aggressive or territorial with strangers, they’re overly friendly and just won’t leave people alone. They’ll also steal your food

This would be my concern too. My 16 month old puppy/dog wants to play and play constantly, but he doesn't realize that he's 70+lbs and I'm afraid that if he sees a kid he's going to knock them over trying to play with them. With only adults I'm sure he'd just be annoying and I can live with that.
0 x

stitchface
Superstar

Postby stitchface » Tue Jun 01, 2021 5:19 pm

I guess if they stay at the house. Having people visit once or twice a day is not good for dogs, IMO. But it certainly helps to have a boarder you trust.
0 x

Return to “Social”