big ball chunky time
Formerly imb!

Re: TV thread

Postby big ball chunky time » Mon Jun 20, 2022 1:06 pm

Derwood wrote:
big ball chunky time wrote:
Derwood wrote:
I guess? You're the ones making the comparison, so you tell me

ask yourself what do barry and walt have in common. anything stand out to you?

Ask yourself, are Sally and Skyler’s situations, personalities, or circumstances similar outside of being in relationships with criminals? I mean horsefeathers, Sally is so oblivious that she needs her co-star to point out that he’s a bad guy.

These two women couldn’t be any more different.

your ability to fully commit to any half-ass thought you have is amazing.

no one said they were or had to be the exact same character in the exact same situation. the point was that so many people, yourself included apparently, will watch a show about a man who lives a secret life as murdering drug kingpin/assassin, see an episode where his wife/gf learns some of the truth and gets upset, and go "wow what a bitch."
4 x
Duke Silver wrote:You've never been right about anything. You bitch and moan at the slightest hint of things not going right ... Suck my ass, you whiny little bitch.

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Mon Jun 20, 2022 1:56 pm

When the hell did I do that? My opinion of Sally is from what she did the entire season, not what she did in the finale. She was thoroughly unlikable in every episode. The best thing she did was leave him at the end.

So no, I’m not AT ALL doing what you’re claiming.
0 x

big ball chunky time
Formerly imb!

Postby big ball chunky time » Mon Jun 20, 2022 3:23 pm

well yeah, that's what i mean. I just used the finale episode as an example. It's not a new discussion. Men watch shows where the protagonist or whatever is an empty soulless evil murderer, and a wife/gf who just kind of suffers through somewhat normal problems, and they go damn, i hate her, she SUCKS.

Sally's problems this year seemed very relatable to me, outside of the whole "im dating an assassin" bit.

Think about her character's arc. She's been abused and is using her acting career as therapy to work out that abuse, but like many people who are abused, she just falls in with a different type of abuser without realizing it. We see Barry doing all this assassin horsefeathers, and even though she doesnt know that's what he's doing, it's still bleeding over into their relationship. Then she suddenly finds success in her career, which blinds her to Barry's descent. Then the rug gets pulled out from under her, and not only that, her assistant is given the success she earned. While dealing with all of this, someone she's taken advantage of all season awakens her to the point that Barry is just a different type of abuser, and it all comes crashing down.

she "sucks" in the way that, yeah, I probably wouldn't want to be best friends with her. But in the context of the show, she's the most normal, relatable character out of all of them probably. But yeah, she's a bitch, what an idiot.
5 x
Duke Silver wrote:You've never been right about anything. You bitch and moan at the slightest hint of things not going right ... Suck my ass, you whiny little bitch.

Rob
Superstar

Postby Rob » Mon Jun 20, 2022 3:36 pm

big ball chunky time wrote:well yeah, that's what i mean. I just used the finale episode as an example. It's not a new discussion. Men watch shows where the protagonist or whatever is an empty soulless evil murderer, and a wife/gf who just kind of suffers through somewhat normal problems, and they go damn, i hate her, she SUCKS.

Sally's problems this year seemed very relatable to me, outside of the whole "im dating an assassin" bit.

Think about her character's arc. She's been abused and is using her acting career as therapy to work out that abuse, but like many people who are abused, she just falls in with a different type of abuser without realizing it. We see Barry doing all this assassin horsefeathers, and even though she doesnt know that's what he's doing, it's still bleeding over into their relationship. Then she suddenly finds success in her career, which blinds her to Barry's descent. Then the rug gets pulled out from under her, and not only that, her assistant is given the success she earned. While dealing with all of this, someone she's taken advantage of all season awakens her to the point that Barry is just a different type of abuser, and it all comes crashing down.

she "sucks" in the way that, yeah, I probably wouldn't want to be best friends with her. But in the context of the show, she's the most normal, relatable character out of all of them probably. But yeah, she's a bitch, what an idiot.

Yeah. Sally is occasionally annoying in the way that Skyler was. But both are excellent portrayals of how real people, with all their previously acquired baggage, might react when thrust into these situations. Skyler, faced with a reality she couldn't escape, dipped her toes into the water of criminality and dishonesty -- attempting to regain some semblance of agency in a life otherwise devoid of it. And you summed up quite well how Sally was processing things on her end. These characters feel a lot more "real" than the other stars of their respective shows. And I think that's why people hate them so much. They snap us viewers out of our enjoyment and remind us that yeah, what we're seeing is really messed up and people shouldn't respond positively to it.

But yeah, she's a bitch.
4 x

big ball chunky time
Formerly imb!

Postby big ball chunky time » Mon Jun 20, 2022 3:42 pm

Rob wrote:
big ball chunky time wrote:well yeah, that's what i mean. I just used the finale episode as an example. It's not a new discussion. Men watch shows where the protagonist or whatever is an empty soulless evil murderer, and a wife/gf who just kind of suffers through somewhat normal problems, and they go damn, i hate her, she SUCKS.

Yeah. Sally is occasionally annoying in the way that Skyler was. But both are excellent portrayals of how real people, with all their previously acquired baggage, might react when thrust into these situations. Skyler, faced with a reality she couldn't escape, dipped her toes into the water of criminality and dishonesty -- attempting to regain some semblance of agency in a life otherwise devoid of it. And you summed up quite well how Sally was processing things on her end. These characters feel a lot more "real" than the other stars of their respective shows. And I think that's why people hate them so much. They snap us viewers out of our enjoyment and remind us that yeah, what we're seeing is really messed up and people shouldn't respond positively to it.

But yeah, she's a bitch.

Yes exactly. Saul spoiler incoming

Spoiler: show
I thought they did this extremely well with Howard this season. They really made it clear what a simpy kind of guy he is, and they played it in this "wow what a loser lol" way early (for instance: the coffee bit with his wife, or her asking him if the guest room bed he's sleeping on is uncomfortable.) And then he gets killed because Saul and Kim are playing games with him and dealing with the horsefeathering cartel at the same time and you realize, oh horsefeathers, there are real world consequences to this.
6 x

javy knows my name
previously Beertown Cubbie

Postby javy knows my name » Mon Jun 20, 2022 3:48 pm

In before "oh yeah, that's what I meant"
2 x
neely wrote:but in reality
2006 .364
2007 .351
2008 his one big year
2009 .347
2010 90 games played
2011 .323
what do you call that?

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Mon Jun 20, 2022 4:21 pm

The hate for Skyler was really strange to me. I guess if you viewed Walt as the "hero" of BB then she is an obstacle to him getting what he wants, but I never saw her that way. She was a mother whose husband put her and her family in insanely grave danger, but somehow she was the villain for wanting him to stop?? Never understood it.

The Sally thing boils down to the fact that she and Barry were rarely together during this season. We know he's an awful person (and boy did they do a good job with THAT this season), and we know Sally shouldn't be with him, but outside of one scene where he yells at her, we're not seeing the abuse play out on screen. I wanted to be sympathetic to her situation, but I found that they wrote her in a way that made that difficult (for me).

But hey, I'm probably a misogynist or something (after nearly 20 years on this board of never displaying that). You're the ones with PhD's in psychology, though, so what do I know?
0 x

big ball chunky time
Formerly imb!

Postby big ball chunky time » Mon Jun 20, 2022 4:35 pm

Derwood wrote:But hey, I'm probably a misogynist or something (after nearly 20 years on this board of never displaying that). You're the ones with PhD's in psychology, though, so what do I know?

Boy, quit telling on yourself.

What people are saying is that

Skylar was a victim and there was a very very very vocal contingent of “what a bitch” any time she was victimized by Walt’s actions.

Sally is a victim. And her arc this season was, in part, about how even her good moments are infected and destroyed by Barry’s secret life. Every time you see her, she’s been victimized. That’s how it works.

Their situations don’t have to be the exact same for there to be a through line. And missing the point of her story and going “I’m not a misogynist, I LIKED skylar!!!” Is not doing what you think it’s doing.
3 x

Ding Dong Johnson
Crap Bag

Postby Ding Dong Johnson » Mon Jun 20, 2022 7:10 pm

Funny, in a world of great performances, I thought Sarah Goldberg maybe killed it the most this season. I was fairly lukewarm on the Sally character in the beginning of S1, but she's become one of my favorites. Especially this season.
0 x

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Mon Jun 20, 2022 7:17 pm

She finally got to do some intense scenes this season. She was in the "boring part" of the show, if you will, the first two seasons. But she really got to go to some dark places to match the tone of the rest of the show this season and it benefitted both her and the show at large. Her performance in the "attack" scene near the end was horsefeathering incredible.
1 x

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Mon Jun 20, 2022 7:48 pm

Yes, the attack was great. Goldberg is great. I just did t like Sally as much as the rest of you. So it goes.
0 x

big ball chunky time
Formerly imb!

Postby big ball chunky time » Mon Jun 20, 2022 11:06 pm

you said "I hope Barry dumps her" lol
0 x

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Tue Jun 21, 2022 12:21 am

big ball chunky time wrote:you said "I hope Barry dumps her" lol

Ha ha ha, so I did. Ah-whoops
0 x

NOLA
5-Time All-Star

Postby NOLA » Tue Jun 21, 2022 12:34 am

I haven’t seen a second of Barry, and it may be great, but how long until this “normal guy with a family is secretly a terrible dude” narrative runs it’s course?
0 x

17 Seconds
Hall of Fame

Postby 17 Seconds » Tue Jun 21, 2022 12:46 am

NOLA wrote:I haven’t seen a second of Barry, and it may be great, but how long until this “normal guy with a family is secretly a terrible dude” narrative runs it’s course?

that description doesn't sound like barry
5 x

big ball chunky time
Formerly imb!

Postby big ball chunky time » Tue Jun 21, 2022 12:52 am

NOLA wrote:I haven’t seen a second of Barry, and it may be great, but how long until this “normal guy with a family is secretly a terrible dude” narrative runs it’s course?

it's not a real accurate picture of barry but i know what you mean. but that's how art goes. People find a new mineral to dig for and all the creators dig till it's gone and everyone wants something else.
0 x

Rob
Superstar

Postby Rob » Sat Jun 25, 2022 3:27 pm

The most recent episode of The Boys had me squeeling in glee. Watching
Butcher and Hughie going toe-to-toe with Homelander, and very nearly polishing him off
was absolutely riveting.

Anthony Starr did a sensational job of acting in the episode too.
1 x

cl smooth
All-Star

Postby cl smooth » Sun Jun 26, 2022 1:38 am

catching up on some tv i've missed during the past year. four episodes into winning time and it's horsefeathering great.
0 x

UMFan83
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby UMFan83 » Sun Jun 26, 2022 5:22 am

Rob wrote:The most recent episode of The Boys had me squeeling in glee. Watching
Butcher and Hughie going toe-to-toe with Homelander, and very nearly polishing him off
was absolutely riveting.

It was a great scene, I agree. However it does bother me that after building up Homelander be this virtually indestructible supe that all of the other supes are legit scared of, Butcher by taking some temporary compound V was able to go toe to toe with him (Hughie to a lesser extent). It’s fine, but it makes the aura around him a little less.
0 x
Win it for Fred

Tim
Hall of Fame

Postby Tim » Mon Jun 27, 2022 2:51 am

Watched Westworld ep 1 (season 4). I feel like I should go back and watch season three to understand it better, but I'm not sure it would really help.
1 x

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Mon Jun 27, 2022 2:56 am

Tim wrote:Watched Westworld ep 1 (season 4). I feel like I should go back and watch season three to understand it better, but I'm not sure it would really help.

I posted a Season 3 recap in the Westworld thread
0 x

CubinNY
Hall of Fame

Postby CubinNY » Mon Jun 27, 2022 5:59 pm

Lol, I wasn't sure to put this in the politics or TV thread. In the first scene in The Boys episode, this week the head of Vought says, "I will call Haberman" in reaction to bad news to get their side of the story out. This show is the best satire ever.
2 x

Rob
Superstar

Postby Rob » Mon Jun 27, 2022 8:59 pm

UMFan83 wrote:
Rob wrote:The most recent episode of The Boys had me squeeling in glee. Watching
was absolutely riveting.

It was a great scene, I agree. However it does bother me that after building up Homelander be this virtually indestructible supe that all of the other supes are legit scared of, Butcher by taking some temporary compound V was able to go toe to toe with him (Hughie to a lesser extent). It’s fine, but it makes the aura around him a little less.

It seems there may be some correlation between the Supe a character hates most, and what power the temp V bestows upon them. I don't think it's any coincidence that, while their powers were overall weaker, Butchers were similar to Homelander (sans flight) and Hughie was sporting mobility-based powers similar to A-Train. It may just be a narrative conceit, but it may be something to keep in mind if MM ever has to use it.

I'll also note that Homelander had Soldier Boy dead to rights, and he's arguably the second-strongest Supe. It was only with Soldier Boy's help that Butcher and Hughie were able to make headway in the fight. On their own, it seems far more like than not that Homelander would have ripped them to shreds. So the temp V isn't necessarily OP.
3 x

UMFan83
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby UMFan83 » Mon Jun 27, 2022 9:33 pm

Rob wrote:
UMFan83 wrote:
was absolutely riveting.

It seems there may be some correlation between the Supe a character hates most, and what power the temp V bestows upon them. I don't think it's any coincidence that, while their powers were overall weaker, Butchers were similar to Homelander (sans flight) and Hughie was sporting mobility-based powers similar to A-Train. It may just be a narrative conceit, but it may be something to keep in mind if MM ever has to use it.

I'll also note that Homelander had Soldier Boy dead to rights, and he's arguably the second-strongest Supe. It was only with Soldier Boy's help that Butcher and Hughie were able to make headway in the fight. On their own, it seems far more like than not that Homelander would have ripped them to shreds. So the temp V isn't necessarily OP.

Good points. I guess it was just jarring to see anyone actually slow Homelander down. For 2.5 seasons he's basically been untouchable and the rest of the Seven are legit scared of him. I guess its a credit to the writers for making his character seem so invincible and scary.
0 x
Win it for Fred

WrigleyField 22
Superstar

Postby WrigleyField 22 » Mon Jun 27, 2022 11:02 pm

Anyone watch The Bear?
I don't know totally how to feel about the ending. Obviously a pretty good S2 hook where I'm sure we'll find out more, but was a little forced feeling. Otherwise thought it was a really well written and acted show.
And loved many of the small Chicago-isms in it
0 x

Return to “Social”