Westworld

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Re: Westworld

Postby Derwood » Wed Jun 29, 2022 7:45 pm

big ball chunky time wrote:
Derwood wrote:I’m liking the set up for the season.

Is Dolores
Spoiler: show
actually writing stories for host parks, not video games? I’m guessing the guy who jumped off the roof is a self-aware host who has to keep living tragic stories day after day

Seems more like

this company is writing scripts for hosts who exist, unknown to either them or us or both, in society

So you think the guy who jumped off the roof doesn't know he's a host?
0 x

big ball chunky time
Formerly imb!

Postby big ball chunky time » Wed Jun 29, 2022 8:44 pm

Derwood wrote:
Derwood wrote:I’m liking the set up for the season.

Is Dolores
actually writing stories for host parks, not video games? I’m guessing the guy who jumped off the roof is a self-aware host who has to keep living tragic stories day after day

Seems more like

this company is writing scripts for hosts who exist, unknown to either them or us or both, in society

I think either

he doesnt know he's a host, or he knows he's a host but society doesn't know that hosts are among us or whatever. Or maybe he doesnt know he's a host and society doesnt know either. Either way, I think Dolores is writing scripts for these secret hosts without her knowledge.
0 x
Duke Silver wrote:You've never been right about anything. You bitch and moan at the slightest hint of things not going right ... Suck my ass, you whiny little bitch.

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Wed Jun 29, 2022 9:08 pm

Derwood wrote:
Seems more like

I think either

he doesnt know he's a host, or he knows he's a host but society doesn't know that hosts are among us or whatever. Or maybe he doesnt know he's a host and society doesnt know either. Either way, I think Dolores is writing scripts for these secret hosts without her knowledge.

But he know enough to suspect that she’s controlling his life (whatever that means)
0 x

big ball chunky time
Formerly imb!

Postby big ball chunky time » Thu Jun 30, 2022 12:59 am

Derwood wrote:
Derwood wrote:

I think either

But he know enough to suspect that she’s controlling his life (whatever that means)

and?
0 x
Duke Silver wrote:You've never been right about anything. You bitch and moan at the slightest hint of things not going right ... Suck my ass, you whiny little bitch.

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Thu Jun 30, 2022 2:16 am

Derwood wrote:
I think either

and?

If he doesn't know he's a host (or even what a host is), why would he suspect Dolores of controlling his life?
0 x

big ball chunky time
Formerly imb!

Postby big ball chunky time » Thu Jun 30, 2022 12:40 pm

Derwood wrote:
Derwood wrote:

and?

If he doesn't know he's a host (or even what a host is), why would he suspect Dolores of controlling his life?

I said maybe he does know. Or maybe he doesn't. They're obviously leaning into the "government conspiracy" storyline with caleb. It's not unusual for people in society today to think some outside group may be controlling them or stalking them etc. I dont know what point you're trying to make
0 x

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Thu Jun 30, 2022 12:43 pm

Derwood wrote:
and?

I said maybe he does know. Or maybe he doesn't. They're obviously leaning into the "government conspiracy" storyline with caleb. It's not unusual for people in society today to think some outside group may be controlling them or stalking them etc. I dont know what point you're trying to make

Not trying to make a point, just trying to guess where the season is going
0 x

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Thu Jun 30, 2022 1:01 pm

Derwood wrote:Not trying to make a point

I worked on this story for a year and he just...tweeted it out.
0 x

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Mon Jul 04, 2022 11:50 am

I enjoyed that episode a ton more than the first, honestly. It felt a little more cohesive as a story.
0 x

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Mon Jul 04, 2022 3:59 pm

Banedon wrote:I enjoyed that episode a ton more than the first, honestly. It felt a little more cohesive as a story.

Agreed. I also have a better feeling about this season than I did about S3.
0 x

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Mon Jul 11, 2022 2:30 am

Now we're cooking with gas
1 x

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Mon Jul 11, 2022 10:57 am

0 x

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Mon Jul 11, 2022 3:02 pm

Enter Sandman was pretty obvious. Not sure how I missed on Bad Guy
0 x

UMFan83
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby UMFan83 » Mon Jul 11, 2022 4:04 pm

With the caveat that I'm only partially through this week's episode, I just don't know what to think about Westworld these days. I don't dislike it, but I don't particularly love it. For whatever reason, I'm not overly invested in the characters. Sometimes I start watching it and I have no clue whats going on and spend time debating in my head whether I'm supposed to know whats going on or if the show is being vague and mysterious intentionally. While in theory I like the idea that each season seems to have its own feel and different themes, I sometimes wonder if it makes me feel a little detached from the show, like I have to warm up to each season as if it was a new show that's a spinoff from the last season.

Anyways I felt this way about season 3 but eventually got over it and enjoyed it, so hopefully the same will happen here.
0 x
Win it for Fred

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Mon Jul 11, 2022 6:22 pm

UMFan83 wrote:With the caveat that I'm only partially through this week's episode, I just don't know what to think about Westworld these days. I don't dislike it, but I don't particularly love it. For whatever reason, I'm not overly invested in the characters. Sometimes I start watching it and I have no clue whats going on and spend time debating in my head whether I'm supposed to know whats going on or if the show is being vague and mysterious intentionally. While in theory I like the idea that each season seems to have its own feel and different themes, I sometimes wonder if it makes me feel a little detached from the show, like I have to warm up to each season as if it was a new show that's a spinoff from the last season.

Anyways I felt this way about season 3 but eventually got over it and enjoyed it, so hopefully the same will happen here.

That’s how I felt last season but I’m totally into it this season.
0 x

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Mon Jul 18, 2022 11:50 am

Ok that was an excellent episode.

Twists aren't new for Westworld, but having a big reveal like that in episode 4 is a pretty big change of pace for them and I like it a lot. I wasn't surprised that Caleb's daughter was the girl in the desert, but I was surprised about most of the rest of the episode.
0 x

cl smooth
All-Star

Postby cl smooth » Mon Jul 18, 2022 12:50 pm

Banedon wrote:Ok that was an excellent episode.

Twists aren't new for Westworld, but having a big reveal like that in episode 4 is a pretty big change of pace for them and I like it a lot. I wasn't surprised that Caleb's daughter was the girl in the desert, but I was surprised about most of the rest of the episode.

multiple timelines ftw
0 x

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Mon Jul 18, 2022 2:59 pm

cl smooth wrote:
Banedon wrote:Ok that was an excellent episode.

multiple timelines ftw

Yep, I got the suspicion that all three stories were on different timelines about 10 minutes before the reveal. Didn't think they'd just flat out reveal C as Frankie so soon.
0 x

big ball chunky time
Formerly imb!

Postby big ball chunky time » Mon Jul 18, 2022 7:44 pm

I'm so sick of the dialogue on this show. I like the story but horsefeathers, every time maeve or tessa thompson's character speak it's so horsefeathering annoying. every line is some stupid smug one-liner. They'll be fighting for their lives and Maeve will be like "how bout a little fun darling?" and then throw 19 knives at people or something. Or Tessa Thompson will reveal some crucial piece of plot by going dead eyed and saying "Ooh. A new narrative." It really detracts from the show. And don't get me started on Aaron Paul doing his batman whisper growl no matter what he's saying.
2 x

UMFan83
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby UMFan83 » Mon Jul 18, 2022 9:37 pm

I was not into this season of Westworld but have to say last night's episode changes it. While this type of swerve is a bit played out in Westworld, it still makes the story a lot more interesting for me. Looking forward to seeing where it heads.

How does the Dolores and Teddy storyline fit into the grander plot? I'm assuming she's in the timeline where the hosts have taken over the humans, and is writing narratives that are directing humans around, hence the occasional human that breaks free of control long enough to go after her for writing the narrative. She doesn't seem self-aware of who she is, but then again she seemed to at least have some sort of subconscious knowledge of Teddy.
0 x
Win it for Fred

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Mon Jul 18, 2022 9:53 pm

big ball chunky time wrote:I'm so sick of the dialogue on this show. I like the story but horsefeathers, every time maeve or tessa thompson's character speak it's so horsefeathering annoying. every line is some stupid smug one-liner. They'll be fighting for their lives and Maeve will be like "how bout a little fun darling?" and then throw 19 knives at people or something. Or Tessa Thompson will reveal some crucial piece of plot by going dead eyed and saying "Ooh. A new narrative." It really detracts from the show. And don't get me started on Aaron Paul doing his batman whisper growl no matter what he's saying.

Twitter account idea....Westworld characters reacting to news headlines.
1 x

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Mon Jul 18, 2022 10:18 pm

UMFan83 wrote:I was not into this season of Westworld but have to say last night's episode changes it. While this type of swerve is a bit played out in Westworld, it still makes the story a lot more interesting for me. Looking forward to seeing where it heads.

How does the Dolores and Teddy storyline fit into the grander plot? I'm assuming she's in the timeline where the hosts have taken over the humans, and is writing narratives that are directing humans around, hence the occasional human that breaks free of control long enough to go after her for writing the narrative. She doesn't seem self-aware of who she is, but then again she seemed to at least have some sort of subconscious knowledge of Teddy.

We're getting to the point where the difference between a host and an infected human is negligible, but it doesn't make sense to me that Tessa's character would be keeping unaware hosts around.
0 x

big ball chunky time
Formerly imb!

Postby big ball chunky time » Mon Jul 18, 2022 10:26 pm

Derwood wrote:
UMFan83 wrote:I was not into this season of Westworld but have to say last night's episode changes it. While this type of swerve is a bit played out in Westworld, it still makes the story a lot more interesting for me. Looking forward to seeing where it heads.

We're getting to the point where the difference between a host and an infected human is negligible, but it doesn't make sense to me that Tessa's character would be keeping unaware hosts around.

yeah. i definitely thought that those were hosts and dolores had her consciousness tossed into the machine so she could write scripts for them. but instead she's writing scripts for humans, who are controlled by Dark Dolores.

im guessing they're going to swerve us, and teddy is just put there by Dark Dolores to keep Good Dolores in place. But eventually she'll figure it out and kill teddy and bust out or something.
0 x

big ball chunky time
Formerly imb!

Postby big ball chunky time » Mon Jul 18, 2022 10:33 pm

I promise I like this show, but

i was surprised by the internet reaction to last night's episode. "Wow. westworld did it again with another giant twist!"

like what really happened? Caleb is dead, except he's a host in a world where there's very little different between hosts and humans. His daughter is still alive. Oh Maeve is dead, except not really, she's actually about to be reunited with caleb again! and get this. They will look exactly like they did when they "died" because they dont age. that's nice. But William is dead. Oh no he's not he's just a host and tessa thompson will just resurrect him.
0 x

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Mon Jul 18, 2022 10:52 pm

Everyone in this show has died at least 12 times
0 x

Return to “Social”