Music Thread 2.0

rawaction
Hall of Fame

Re: Music Thread 2.0

Postby rawaction » Wed Jun 08, 2022 4:22 pm

UMFan83 wrote:
rawaction wrote:
We Got The Whole 9 wrote:It's really hard to make a top 200, I'll give them that. I wouldn't want to try. However, when taking about influence and seminal albums it's a bit annoying seeing no Aesop Rock, Blackalicious, Masta Ace, no Suave House, Warren G (unless I missed it) hits (debut album or The Twinz - Conversation), a lot of rappers/groups "top" album being severely over-ranked (OutKast, Common, The Coup, etc)

Admirable effort and they included a lot of obscure joints and I give them props for that.

Lyrics Born - Later That Day is incredible FTR.

Masta Ace lowkey has an amazing discography. No misses for a guy that's been putting out music semi-consistently since 1990. Nia by Blackalicious is certainly a top album. Maybe as high as top 30 or 20. I admittedly wasn't big on Suave House in their heyday, but have gone back to a lot of 8Ball & MJG. They are legendary with no less than 3 really good albums.

***Side note*** I ironically think the best solo disographies in hip-hop belong to Scarface, Ghostface, and Masta Ace. So if you know an aspiring rapper may want to tell him to put "ace" at the end of his/her name.

Is it bad that I prefer Blazing Arrow over Nia? Nia is solid but I feel like every track in BA is a home run

Just for fun favorite album for several artists. Not all are “best albums” just personal favorite

Nas: Illmatic
Jay Z: Reasonable Doubt is better but Volume 2 is pure nostalgia for me
Outlast: ATLiens
The Roots: Do You Want More!??!!
Jeru The Damaja: Sun Rises In the East
Wu Tang: Enter the 36 chambers (duh)
Snoop: Doggystyle (duh)
Tribe: Low End Theory
Common: Electric Circus (no one ever agrees with me)
Biggie: Ready to Die
Tupac: All Eyez on Me
Eminem: Marshall Mathers
Kanye: College Dropout (sorry don’t like any new Kanye after he got weird)

I’m missing several artists, just a few off the top of my head. Shot out to one album gems like The Score, Deltron 3030 and Black Star

My favorites:
Nas- Illmatic (my #1 of all time)
Jay-Z - American Gangster. I'm not the biggest Jay Z fan. AG probably isn't the "best" album of his per se, but it's my go to if I want to hear Jay Z
Outkast- Aquemini. I also think this their best. They really may have the best first 3 albums of any group (De La and Tribe have arguments). They just got progressively better each album, IMO.
The Roots- Illadephhalflife is my favorite
Tribe- Low End Theory is the album that got me into hip-hop, as I have mentioned here. But Midnight Marauders is a better album to me.
Wu- I prefer Wu-Tang Forever to 36 Chambers. I think 9 songs (2 of them being solo MC songs) was too little for a 9 man group, so I prefer the longer album even though there are more duds on it.
Tupac- Me Against the World. His magnum opus, IMO. The album I feel like Pac was his artistic self. He wasn't trying to be too militant. Wasn't trying to be too "ThugLife". Wasn't obsessed with beef with East Coast rappers. Saw all sides of the REAL 2Pac
Kanye- Late Registration. College Dropout was more eye-opening. He really ushered in a non-gangster era of rap after the mafioso era. But Dropout was him taking another step lyrically, to me. He would have better production going forward, but this album established him as the best artist of the 2000s.

Also, if I ballparked a top 10 albums.

Illmatic
Midnight Marauders
Only Built 4 Cuban Linx (Raekwon)
Low End Theory
Death Certificate (Ice Cube)
The Infamous (Mobb Deep)
Doggystyle
Enta Da Stage (Black Moon)
It Takes a Nation (Public Enemy)- I guess it would be top 10
Paid In Full (Eric B & Rakim)
1 x

Old Style
Superstar

Postby Old Style » Wed Jun 08, 2022 4:58 pm

Just booked my flight for Rage Against The Machine at the UC. I expect them to announce a tour cancellation any minute now. Lol.
0 x
"I'm sorry, folks outside of SEC country, but a few facts are incontrovertible. They smoke better barbecue than you. Their women are prettier than your women. They play football better than your schools play football." - Andy Staples, SI

We Got The Whole 9
5-Time All-Star

Re: RE: Re: Music Thread 2.0

Postby We Got The Whole 9 » Wed Jun 08, 2022 5:10 pm

Old Style wrote:Just booked my flight for Rage Against The Machine at the UC. I expect them to announce a tour cancellation any minute now. Lol.
Saw them once at the L.A. Colliseum in like 2010. They opened with Bombtrack. The place goes nuts when that opening lick kicks off. Zach is all hyped up, bouncing from end to end of the stage. As soon as he goes to rap... his vocals cut off... for like a minute. The dissipation of energy was something else.

But once they got the issues worked out they went on to murder the set. Fantastic show.
1 x

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Wed Jun 08, 2022 6:02 pm

I saw them when they were the first band of the day on the Lollapalooza Tour in ‘93

Tool was the second band
1 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Wed Jun 08, 2022 6:11 pm

Old Style wrote:Just booked my flight for Rage Against The Machinethe Run the Jewels show that maybe features some other dudes at the UC. I expect them to announce a tour cancellation any minute now. Lol.
1 x

Old Style
Superstar

Re: RE: Re: Music Thread 2.0

Postby Old Style » Wed Jun 08, 2022 6:36 pm

We Got The Whole 9 wrote:
Old Style wrote:Just booked my flight for Rage Against The Machine at the UC. I expect them to announce a tour cancellation any minute now. Lol.
Saw them once at the L.A. Colliseum in like 2010. They opened with Bombtrack. The place goes nuts when that opening lick kicks off. Zach is all hyped up, bouncing from end to end of the stage. As soon as he goes to rap... his vocals cut off... for like a minute. The dissipation of energy was something else.

But once they got the issues worked out they went on to murder the set. Fantastic show.

Saw them open for U2 at the Cotton Bowl on the Pop tour. Been dying to see them again ever since.
0 x
"I'm sorry, folks outside of SEC country, but a few facts are incontrovertible. They smoke better barbecue than you. Their women are prettier than your women. They play football better than your schools play football." - Andy Staples, SI

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Thu Jun 09, 2022 7:21 pm

I thought Tom Breihan's article about the RS hip-hop list was pretty great:

https://www.stereogum.com/2189179/the-g ... aint-hood/

The problem here, I’d argue, is that rap is a messy, fractured, living genre of music. It actively resists this kind of canon-friendly organization. Rap music works the best when it makes you feel like you’ve got molten lava in your blood. That’s what’s great about it. The miracle of rap music is that some of America’s poorest, most oppressed communities built this whole new art form out of pure language and shards of other people’s music. This art form then went on to conquer the world because it made people feel more powerful than they were. That happens from moment to moment.

Rap music is competitive. You’re supposed to argue about who’s the best at any given moment, or whether your present-day favorite could’ve gone toe-to-toe with the old-school icon of your choice. But rap will lose its life force if it ever fits neatly into a greatest-albums list. From that perspective, then, the bugnuts absurdity of the Rolling Stone list is a victory. Rap can’t be forced into coherence. It’s too alive for that. There is no greatest hip-hop album of all time because the greatest-album lens just isn’t going to give you a good idea of what hip-hop is. Instead, the world’s biggest music magazine will publish a completely haphazard and chaotic list, and something that might’ve imposed order will instead bring more confusion. That’s good. Confusion is better.

And this part just cracked me up:

When rappers get too consumed with the idea of the classic album, with writing their name on history, they often lose sight of the chaotic energy that made them exciting. I can remember the absolute dread that I felt when Ludacris talked about how 2006’s Release Therapy was going to be his all-time classic, as if an all-time classic was something that anyone needed from Ludacris. (For the record, Ludacris does have an all-time classic. It’s called Back For The First Time, and it’s got Luda rapping about making you eat dirt and fart dust, which is not the kind of thing that people say when they’re trying to make classic albums. Back For The First Time is not on the Rolling Stone list, an unforgivable oversight.)
3 x

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Thu Jun 09, 2022 7:40 pm

0 x

rawaction
Hall of Fame

Postby rawaction » Thu Jun 09, 2022 7:54 pm

I follow Slack. Funny dude.
0 x

Old Style
Superstar

Postby Old Style » Tue Jun 14, 2022 3:16 pm

I'm not a big Radiohead guy but The Bends is horsefeathering brilliant.
1 x

JudasIscariotTheBird
5-Time All-Star

Postby JudasIscariotTheBird » Tue Jun 14, 2022 5:44 pm

Old Style wrote:I'm not a big Radiohead guy but The Bends is horsefeathering brilliant.

I've always thought it was their best album.
0 x
"We are at a point in time where comments can be interpreted as racist, sexist, Anti-semitic, etc. depending on the circumstance and the listener." -B2B

Old Style
Superstar

Postby Old Style » Tue Jun 14, 2022 6:46 pm

JudasIscariotTheBird wrote:
Old Style wrote:I'm not a big Radiohead guy but The Bends is horsefeathering brilliant.

I've tried listening to their other albums and there is some good stuff but most of it just doesn't click with me. And I'm sure I'll get mocked for this but honestly the first time I remember hearing Fake Plastic Trees was in an episode of Entourage. I liked it so much that I checked out the rest of the album and I've loved it ever since.
0 x

JudasIscariotTheBird
5-Time All-Star

Postby JudasIscariotTheBird » Tue Jun 14, 2022 7:16 pm

Old Style wrote:

I've tried listening to their other albums and there is some good stuff but most of it just doesn't click with me. And I'm sure I'll get mocked for this but honestly the first time I remember hearing Fake Plastic Trees was in an episode of Entourage. I liked it so much that I checked out the rest of the album and I've loved it ever since.

Jeez, did you not watch Beavis and Butthead?

At least Entourage was good for something. The video for Fake Plastic Trees was mostly boring, but the album had some of my favorites. They are a little dated, but the 90s nostalgia is strong for me.

0 x
"We are at a point in time where comments can be interpreted as racist, sexist, Anti-semitic, etc. depending on the circumstance and the listener." -B2B

JudasIscariotTheBird
5-Time All-Star

Postby JudasIscariotTheBird » Tue Jun 14, 2022 7:27 pm

Two other fun facts about the album. The song "My Iron Lung" is all just a reference to how much they came to hate and depend on "Creep" after it went big.

Something I didn't know about the Bends until fairly recently: I think it's fairly well known that Tool's Aenima was devoted to Bill Hicks. But weirdly, so was the Bends. Hicks was big in England, for whatever reason.
0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Tue Jun 14, 2022 7:35 pm

Funnest fact: I'm so horsefeathering cool* that I first saw them live in October of '94, right before The Bends came out.

*The ticket was free, and I still had to be dragged half-drunk to the show because I didn't want see "that stupid band with the horsefeathers 'Creepy' song," so not cool at all. But still, awesome show!
1 x

JudasIscariotTheBird
5-Time All-Star

Postby JudasIscariotTheBird » Tue Jun 14, 2022 7:41 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:Funnest fact: I'm so horsefeathering cool* that I first saw them live in October of '94, right before The Bends came out.

*The ticket was free, and I still had to be dragged half-drunk to the show because I didn't want see "that stupid band with the horsefeathers 'Creepy' song," so not cool at all. But still, awesome show!

Half drunk in October for 94? ...how old are you? Or were you just a drinking savant at a young age?
0 x

Old Style
Superstar

Postby Old Style » Tue Jun 14, 2022 7:43 pm

Old Style wrote:
JudasIscariotTheBird wrote:I've always thought it was their best album.

Jeez, did you not watch Beavis and Butthead?

At least Entourage was good for something. The video for Fake Plastic Trees was mostly boring, but the album had some of my favorites.

I did watch B&B but I don't remember hearing Fake Plastic Trees on there. I drank a lot during those years. Lol.
0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Tue Jun 14, 2022 7:44 pm

A whole 15 years old, but had just moved to Bangkok earlier that summer, and horsefeathers went off for the next 3 years.

Another fun(?) fact: the venue they played at was technically a concert hall on top off one of the biggest horsefeathering malls I've ever seen in my whole life. That place was an insane fire trap and a complete safety nightmare, and it blows my mind that it's still standing. That floor moved like a wave pool when the crowds started jumping/dancing at every show I went to there.
0 x

sneakypower
Javy Baez Fanclub President

Postby sneakypower » Wed Jun 15, 2022 12:54 am

so many headlines anymore feel like randomized mad libs

Car Seat Headrest’s Will Toledo Opens Up About Being A Furry
https://www.stereogum.com/2190257/car-s ... urry/news/

Earlier this year, on their Masquerade Tour, Car Seat Headrest’s Will Toledo performed at Brooklyn Steel in a fursuit (his furry alter-ego is called Mortis Jackrabbit). Now, he’s talking about it. “I wanted more furries in the crowd,” he tells Brooklyn Magazine, adding: “It was very impromptu. My friend tried finding someone else to wear the suit but he couldn’t find anybody. So at the last minute, I asked him to bring it and I wore as much of it as I could.”
1 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Wed Jun 15, 2022 12:59 am

Car Seat Headrest have been around for a while (I think tree might have mentioned them here) and are pretty damn good, IMO, but, yeah, his furry horsefeathers is horsefeathering weird. It always just sounds like he's getting off on his kink being shown off in public.
0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Wed Jun 15, 2022 2:14 pm

Speaking of (sorta) Bends-era Radiohead...

Just managed to snag a couple of pre-sale tickets to the 11/23 DC show for Yorke and Greenwood's new side(?) project The Smile. I've posted a couple of their songs here, but I think this album is really, really horsefeathering good. I think it kinda sounds like if Radiohead had continued on a more "organic" path after OKC. That's a HUGE over-simplification, but I really just haven't heard either of these guys sound like this together in a long, long time over an entire album, Yorke especially.

1 x

wekse
5-Time All-Star

Postby wekse » Wed Jun 15, 2022 3:26 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:Speaking of (sorta) Bends-era Radiohead...

Just managed to snag a couple of pre-sale tickets to the 11/23 DC show for Yorke and Greenwood's new side(?) project The Smile. I've posted a couple of their songs here, but I think this album is really, really horsefeathering good. I think it kinda sounds like if Radiohead had continued on a more "organic" path after OKC. That's a HUGE over-simplification, but I really just haven't heard either of these guys sound like this together in a long, long time over an entire album, Yorke especially.

I'll be seeing them at the Ryman on 12/3, can't [expletive] wait.
1 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Wed Jun 15, 2022 4:41 pm

Derwood: "rap sucks these days."

Denzel Curry: Image

1 x

Old Style
Superstar

Postby Old Style » Wed Jun 15, 2022 5:00 pm

Not sure how I missed Clutch prior to recently but [expletive] those boys can rock.
0 x

wekse
5-Time All-Star

Postby wekse » Wed Jun 15, 2022 6:34 pm

Old Style wrote:Not sure how I missed Clutch prior to recently but [expletive] those boys can rock.

Touring this fall, seeing them in September. Great rock band.
0 x

Return to “Social”