Music Thread 2.0

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Re: Music Thread 2.0

Postby Derwood » Wed Jun 01, 2022 12:07 pm

Yes, it’s the drum tracks and the vocal style. Clearly people like it, I just don’t. And it’s disappointing (to me) when a rapper like Kendrick occasionally slides into that style.
0 x

The_Achiever
All-Star

Postby The_Achiever » Wed Jun 01, 2022 4:57 pm

Been on a huge Talking Heads kick lately. What a phenomenal band, should have started listening decades ago.
6 x

Old Style
Superstar

Postby Old Style » Wed Jun 01, 2022 5:36 pm

The_Achiever wrote:Been on a huge Talking Heads kick lately. What a phenomenal band, should have started listening decades ago.

It doesn't get much better than Psycho Killer. Fun fact, Ice T walked into the studio one day singing that song and BodyCount's guitarist Ernie C heard him & said there should be a song called Cop Killer.
1 x
"I'm sorry, folks outside of SEC country, but a few facts are incontrovertible. They smoke better barbecue than you. Their women are prettier than your women. They play football better than your schools play football." - Andy Staples, SI

The_Achiever
All-Star

Postby The_Achiever » Wed Jun 01, 2022 6:04 pm

Old Style wrote:
The_Achiever wrote:Been on a huge Talking Heads kick lately. What a phenomenal band, should have started listening decades ago.

It doesn't get much better than Psycho Killer. Fun fact, Ice T walked into the studio one day singing that song and BodyCount's guitarist Ernie C heard him & said there should be a song called Cop Killer.

Ha! That’s great. And I’m not trying to totally gorge myself on it so just keeping to the first 4 albums for now. All are outstanding.
0 x

wekse
5-Time All-Star

Postby wekse » Wed Jun 01, 2022 6:52 pm

The_Achiever wrote:
Old Style wrote:

Ha! That’s great. And I’m not trying to totally gorge myself on it so just keeping to the first 4 albums for now. All are outstanding.

Hopefully you go 5 deep and put Speaking In Tongues in that rotation.
1 x

UMFan83
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby UMFan83 » Tue Jun 07, 2022 9:39 pm

Some interesting choices on this list, but probably unfair for me to evaluate since rarely listen to hip hope that is later than ~2010 and this list has a lot of albums from the last 10-15 years.

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/musi ... s-1323916/
0 x
Win it for Fred

cl smooth
All-Star

Postby cl smooth » Tue Jun 07, 2022 9:50 pm

UMFan83 wrote:Some interesting choices on this list, but probably unfair for me to evaluate since rarely listen to hip hope that is later than ~2010 and this list has a lot of albums from the last 10-15 years.

*looks for It Takes A Nation Of Millions…*
*sees it at number 4*
*shakes head, closes tab*
1 x

rawaction
Hall of Fame

Postby rawaction » Tue Jun 07, 2022 11:01 pm

cl smooth wrote:
UMFan83 wrote:Some interesting choices on this list, but probably unfair for me to evaluate since rarely listen to hip hope that is later than ~2010 and this list has a lot of albums from the last 10-15 years.

*sees it at number 4*

It Takes a Nation probably wouldn't be in my top 10, but my hip hop origins don't start til about 1991-92 ish. Of course, I wouldn't make a list and call it the "greatest" or "best" of all time. I'd just speak from my perspective.

Also want to point out, they have "Ready to Die" as the top hip-hop album of all time. I'm probably the biggest Biggie fan in the world. My favorite rapper of all time. But I would probably have 40-50 albums ahead of that album (the better of his 2). My unpopular opinion is that neither of BIG's albums are 5 mics (Source magazine rating for a perfect album).

Oh and Stankonia at #2 is bad. It does have my favorite Outkast song (B.O.B.), the world famous "Ms Jackson" and I have a T-shirt for "So Fresh, So Clean", but that is honestly probably the worst (comparatively speaking) album of their first 4.

My #1 favorite album, Illmatic is #24. Chronic 2001 over the OG Chronic album and Doggystyle is bad. Cardi B in the top 20. LOL.
2 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Tue Jun 07, 2022 11:14 pm

Take Care at #11 and mother horsefeathering DS2 at #20(!!!!!!!!!!!) is some classic RS nonsense. "Well, they sold THAT much, so they must be great, right? horsefeathers, I don't know; we just need some more newer horsefeathers in the top 20."
2 x

rawaction
Hall of Fame

Postby rawaction » Wed Jun 08, 2022 12:05 am

Sammy Sofa wrote:Take Care at #11 and mother horsefeathering DS2 at #20(!!!!!!!!!!!) is some classic RS nonsense. "Well, they sold THAT much, so they must be great, right? horsefeathers, I don't know; we just need some more newer horsefeathers in the top 20."

Yeah, seems like a concerted effort to get a mix of super popular albums, critically acclaimed albums and representation from the current chartoppers (Drake, Nicki, Cardi).
0 x

UMFan83
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby UMFan83 » Wed Jun 08, 2022 12:15 am

rawaction wrote:
cl smooth wrote:

*sees it at number 4*

It Takes a Nation probably wouldn't be in my top 10, but my hip hop origins don't start til about 1991-92 ish. Of course, I wouldn't make a list and call it the "greatest" or "best" of all time. I'd just speak from my perspective.

Also want to point out, they have "Ready to Die" as the top hip-hop album of all time. I'm probably the biggest Biggie fan in the world. My favorite rapper of all time. But I would probably have 40-50 albums ahead of that album (the better of his 2). My unpopular opinion is that neither of BIG's albums are 5 mics (Source magazine rating for a perfect album).

Oh and Stankonia at #2 is bad. It does have my favorite Outkast song (B.O.B.), the world famous "Ms Jackson" and I have a T-shirt for "So Fresh, So Clean", but that is honestly probably the worst (comparatively speaking) album of their first 4.

My #1 favorite album, Illmatic is #24. Chronic 2001 over the OG Chronic album and Doggystyle is bad. Cardi B in the top 20. LOL.

Stankonia is a great album but it’s not even my favorite Outkast album (ATLiens), but I know that’s the consensus favorite. Yeah Illmatic 24 is hilariously bad. DMX’s It’s Dark And Hell Is Hot is solid but not a top 20 album. Thought The Score and Black Star should have been higher. There were a lot of weird choices but I guess it’s eliciting a discussion which is what they wanted
0 x
Win it for Fred

We Got The Whole 9
5-Time All-Star

Postby We Got The Whole 9 » Wed Jun 08, 2022 12:38 am

It's really hard to make a top 200, I'll give them that. I wouldn't want to try. However, when taking about influence and seminal albums it's a bit annoying seeing no Aesop Rock, Blackalicious, Masta Ace, no Suave House, Warren G (unless I missed it) hits (debut album or The Twinz - Conversation), a lot of rappers/groups "top" album being severely over-ranked (OutKast, Common, The Coup, etc)

Admirable effort and they included a lot of obscure joints and I give them props for that.

Lyrics Born - Later That Day is incredible FTR.
1 x

rawaction
Hall of Fame

Postby rawaction » Wed Jun 08, 2022 12:57 am

We Got The Whole 9 wrote:It's really hard to make a top 200, I'll give them that. I wouldn't want to try. However, when taking about influence and seminal albums it's a bit annoying seeing no Aesop Rock, Blackalicious, Masta Ace, no Suave House, Warren G (unless I missed it) hits (debut album or The Twinz - Conversation), a lot of rappers/groups "top" album being severely over-ranked (OutKast, Common, The Coup, etc)

Admirable effort and they included a lot of obscure joints and I give them props for that.

Masta Ace lowkey has an amazing discography. No misses for a guy that's been putting out music semi-consistently since 1990. Nia by Blackalicious is certainly a top album. Maybe as high as top 30 or 20. I admittedly wasn't big on Suave House in their heyday, but have gone back to a lot of 8Ball & MJG. They are legendary with no less than 3 really good albums.

***Side note*** I ironically think the best solo disographies in hip-hop belong to Scarface, Ghostface, and Masta Ace. So if you know an aspiring rapper may want to tell him to put "ace" at the end of his/her name.
1 x

UMFan83
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby UMFan83 » Wed Jun 08, 2022 1:41 am

rawaction wrote:
We Got The Whole 9 wrote:It's really hard to make a top 200, I'll give them that. I wouldn't want to try. However, when taking about influence and seminal albums it's a bit annoying seeing no Aesop Rock, Blackalicious, Masta Ace, no Suave House, Warren G (unless I missed it) hits (debut album or The Twinz - Conversation), a lot of rappers/groups "top" album being severely over-ranked (OutKast, Common, The Coup, etc)

Masta Ace lowkey has an amazing discography. No misses for a guy that's been putting out music semi-consistently since 1990. Nia by Blackalicious is certainly a top album. Maybe as high as top 30 or 20. I admittedly wasn't big on Suave House in their heyday, but have gone back to a lot of 8Ball & MJG. They are legendary with no less than 3 really good albums.

***Side note*** I ironically think the best solo disographies in hip-hop belong to Scarface, Ghostface, and Masta Ace. So if you know an aspiring rapper may want to tell him to put "ace" at the end of his/her name.

Is it bad that I prefer Blazing Arrow over Nia? Nia is solid but I feel like every track in BA is a home run

Just for fun favorite album for several artists. Not all are “best albums” just personal favorite

Nas: Illmatic
Jay Z: Reasonable Doubt is better but Volume 2 is pure nostalgia for me
Outlast: ATLiens
The Roots: Do You Want More!??!!
Jeru The Damaja: Sun Rises In the East
Wu Tang: Enter the 36 chambers (duh)
Snoop: Doggystyle (duh)
Tribe: Low End Theory
Common: Electric Circus (no one ever agrees with me)
Biggie: Ready to Die
Tupac: All Eyez on Me
Eminem: Marshall Mathers
Kanye: College Dropout (sorry don’t like any new Kanye after he got weird)

I’m missing several artists, just a few off the top of my head. Shot out to one album gems like The Score, Deltron 3030 and Black Star
1 x
Win it for Fred

JudasIscariotTheBird
5-Time All-Star

Postby JudasIscariotTheBird » Wed Jun 08, 2022 2:42 am

I memorized "The Coming" in high school and didn't get why they couldn't throw me a bone, but had DMX in the top 20.
0 x
"We are at a point in time where comments can be interpreted as racist, sexist, Anti-semitic, etc. depending on the circumstance and the listener." -B2B

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Wed Jun 08, 2022 3:18 am

It's all a matter of personal taste, but I don't know how you have License to Ill in the top 50 but Check Your Head is nowhere to be found
0 x

We Got The Whole 9
5-Time All-Star

Re: RE: Re: Music Thread 2.0

Postby We Got The Whole 9 » Wed Jun 08, 2022 4:21 am

[quote=rawaction]Masta Ace lowkey has an amazing discography. No misses for a guy that's been putting out music semi-consistently since 1990. Nia by Blackalicious is certainly a top album. Maybe as high as top 30 or 20. I admittedly wasn't big on Suave House in their heyday, but have gone back to a lot of 8Ball & MJG. They are legendary with no less than 3 really good albums.

***Side note*** I ironically think the best solo disographies in hip-hop belong to Scarface, Ghostface, and Masta Ace. So if you know an aspiring rapper may want to tell him to put "ace" at the end of his/her name.[/quote]

No doubt. Disposable Arts by Masta Ace I think should be on the list. I don't care where, but it should be on there. That hit like a bomb in the underground at the time, after a pretty long hiatus following Sittin On Chrome. A concept album perfectly constructed. Long Hot Summer is also an undeniable classic to me. His discog is so deep, I mean you can't go wrong. Eminem is on record that him and Redman are 2 of his biggest influences. It's plain as day when you hear him. It's crazy to see neither on the list really.

Blackalicious had a similar impact with Nia - they kind of came out of nowhere to a lot of people and dropped an unbelievably relatable and soulful masterpiece that holds up really well to this day.

I really don't know how 8 & MJG missed the cut over some of those albums, although granted at least 30-50 I've never even heard and half of those have never even heard of. Coming Out Hard is legendary in it's influence. Mentioned all the time in interviews with top southern acts to this day. I didn't pick up on them until Outside Looking In and that album + On Top of the World are landmark albums for the South. I'm also partial to Tela - Piece of Mind. Loved his flow and delivery. I think he got some of T Draper's best production on that. Its a banger to this day.

I'm pretty blown away at some of their inclusions, some I didn't expect to see, some pleasant surprises. But they got me bent not putting Float or Labor Days from Aesop Rock. Put one at 200, I don't care. He has been extremely influential, he reached across numerous boundaries and achieved critical, underground, and commercial success. The vast majority of indie artists didn't sell near the amount of units that Labor Days did back then. He also falls under the "ace" distinction lol, for me, legendary discography.

UMFan83 wrote:.
Is it bad that I prefer Blazing Arrow over Nia? Nia is solid but I feel like every track in BA is a home run

Just for fun favorite album for several artists. Not all are “best albums” just personal favorite

I’m missing several artists, just a few off the top of my head. Shot out to one album gems like The Score, Deltron 3030 and Black Star

Definitely not a bad thing. We talked about this when Gab died. I love BA also. But when taking influence and impact into account, Nia I think is the choice. Maybe it's just more my cup of tea. I think the album flows beautifully and at the time when it dropped, not many were making music like that. Great blend of technical skills, complex lyrics and flows, and introspective forays, and it felt like the soundscape was perfectly interwoven and took you on a journey.
1 x

UMFan83
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby UMFan83 » Wed Jun 08, 2022 4:28 am

We Got The Whole 9 wrote:

Definitely not a bad thing. We talked about this when Gab died. I love BA also. But when taking influence and impact into account, Nia I think is the choice. Maybe it's just more my cup of tea. I think the album flows beautifully and at the time when it dropped, not many were making music like that. Great blend of technical skills, complex lyrics and flows, and introspective forays, and it felt like the soundscape was perfectly interwoven and took you on a journey.

That’s a good point that I forgot. Blazing Arrow was the first Blackalicous I’d ever heard. A friend recommended it and I happened to see it at Best Buy and grabbed it and it just blew me away. So for me I had similar feelings of “damn this is different, no one is making music like this” and probably influenced my preference for BA
0 x
Win it for Fred

We Got The Whole 9
5-Time All-Star

Postby We Got The Whole 9 » Wed Jun 08, 2022 4:34 am

Cee-Lo also was the first to successfully rap and sing (Biz Markie doesn't count) and should probably land on the list somewhere as well IMO. Seriously underrated as a lyricist and an inimitable voice.
0 x

We Got The Whole 9
5-Time All-Star

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Music Thread 2.0

Postby We Got The Whole 9 » Wed Jun 08, 2022 4:41 am

UMFan83 wrote:

That’s a good point that I forgot. Blazing Arrow was the first Blackalicous I’d ever heard. A friend recommended it and I happened to see it at Best Buy and grabbed it and it just blew me away. So for me I had similar feelings of “damn this is different, no one is making music like this” and probably influenced my preference for BA
For sure, I'll always remember my first listen of Nia. A friend at work recommended it after I hipped him to Del - Both Sides of the Brain. I was just sitting there slack-jawed, like, horsefeathers, I needed an album like this, thank you. It blew me away.
3 x

Old Style
Superstar

Postby Old Style » Wed Jun 08, 2022 1:35 pm

0 x
"I'm sorry, folks outside of SEC country, but a few facts are incontrovertible. They smoke better barbecue than you. Their women are prettier than your women. They play football better than your schools play football." - Andy Staples, SI

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Music Thread 2.0

Postby Sammy Sofa » Wed Jun 08, 2022 1:39 pm

UMFan83 wrote:

For sure, I'll always remember my first listen of Nia. A friend at work recommended it after I hipped him to Del - Both Sides of the Brain. I was just sitting there slack-jawed, like, horsefeathers, I needed an album like this, thank you. It blew me away.

Blackalicious were, kind of amazingly, the act that got my "I can't stand Crap music" younger brother into hip-hop. horsefeathering awful when GoG passed.
0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Wed Jun 08, 2022 1:40 pm

Some more new Black Thought:

This album is going to rule.
0 x

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Wed Jun 08, 2022 2:39 pm

1 x

We Got The Whole 9
5-Time All-Star

Postby We Got The Whole 9 » Wed Jun 08, 2022 4:17 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:Some more new Black Thought:

This album is going to rule.
Cannot wait to hear this project. Got me thinking, The Grey Album should probably be among the top 200 considering the parameters they set and the barrage of mash-up albums it inspired. Literally within a week of that dropping there was like 20 different "colored" variations and it was one of the first mash-ups that I can recall coming out on any level.
0 x

Return to “Social”