Minor League Musings

Donzo
Starter

Re: Minor League Musings

Postby Donzo » Sun Jul 03, 2022 3:57 pm

Any Bryan Hudson updates?

I remember the thought was it would take some time for him to develop when he was drafted. Because of his size and form it was going to be a process for him to develop repeatable pitching mechanics. Well, here we are 7 or 8 years later and his mechanics are doing well in AAA. Excellent Ks, HPI and WHIP numbers.

Is he doing this with stuff that'll work in the majors or has he just become an effective minor league pro in his 8th season in the minors?
0 x

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Wed Jul 06, 2022 3:36 pm

0 x
Spoiler: show

Transmogrified Tiger
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Wed Jul 06, 2022 3:39 pm

Donzo wrote:Any Bryan Hudson updates?

I remember the thought was it would take some time for him to develop when he was drafted. Because of his size and form it was going to be a process for him to develop repeatable pitching mechanics. Well, here we are 7 or 8 years later and his mechanics are doing well in AAA. Excellent Ks, HPI and WHIP numbers.

Is he doing this with stuff that'll work in the majors or has he just become an effective minor league pro in his 8th season in the minors?

I don't have any scouting/first hand accounts, but he's been very good. Between Hughes and Hudson(who both have been hard on both RHH and LHH), plus some lesser likelihood options that could break through(Little, Newcomb, Wieck), I'm hopeful they won't need to bring in next year's version of Norris to ensure there's enough LHP representation in the pen.
0 x

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Wed Jul 06, 2022 5:39 pm

BA’s prospect hot sheet for the 20 hottest minor leaguers in baseball:

18. Anderson Espinoza, RHP, Cubs
Team: Double-A Tennessee (League)

Why He’s Here: 1-0, 0.00, 6 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 2 BB, 8 SO, 0 HR

The Scoop: Espinoza’s first big league callup in May was heartwarming, but he hadn’t actually pitched well this season. That changed last week. Espinoza pitched five no-hit innings against Rocket City on June 28 in his best start of the season and followed with a scoreless inning of relief at Birmingham on July 4. It was his first sustained success of the year after he entered the week with a 7.87 ERA for the Smokies. Espinoza still has a long way to go to reclaim his former top prospect status, but his week was a step in the right direction. (KG).

HELIUM

Moises Ballesteros, C, Cubs

Ballesteros signed with the Cubs for $1.5 million on the first day of the 2021 international signing period. After a solid showing in his pro debut in the Dominican Summer League last year, he is showing why he was so highly valued in the Arizona Complex League this year. Ballesteros had three consecutive multi-hit games last week and is now batting .308/.384/.615 to start the ACL season and is tied for the league lead with five home runs. Ballesteros has a stout, blocky body and whether he will remain a catcher is in question, but he projects to be an impact hitter whose bat will play anywhere. (KG).
1 x

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Thu Jul 07, 2022 4:48 pm

CaliforniaRaisin wrote:

PCA is the only Cub minor leaguer going to LA.

0 x

Transmogrified Tiger
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Thu Jul 07, 2022 6:21 pm

I mentioned the trade stuff in Transactions, but Sharma's live chat today had some prospect stuff too.

Who’s one under the radar prospect in the org you know the FO secretly loves?

Sharma: Had someone tell me that Moises Ballesteros has the second-sweetest left-handed swing behind PCA in the org. Also, he's not under the radar because he's last year's first-round pick, but I would absolutely ignore Jordan Wicks' ERA. His peripherals are insane. They've really helped his breaking balls and he's now missing bats and still has his top-tier command. I'd expect a promotion to Double A soon, meaning a 2023 debut sometime in the middle of the season wouldn't be crazy.

Players that need to be protected for the Rule 5 draft seems deeper this year. There could be roughly 8-10 player that you could deserve to protected. Do you see some players getting a call up this year or deal with the roster crunch in November?

Sharma: I think we'll see a lot of guys up after the deadline, yes. I also think perhaps some trades will be necessary early in the winter to clear up the 40-man stuff if guys continue to look good. I'm sure the AFL will help them make some decisions.

After the mass exodus that was the trade deadline last year, we saw a lot of new faces. With the looming trade deadline, should we expect to see some newer call ups that aren’t on the 40 man? Bryce Ball, Chase Strumpf, Darius Hill, and bullpen guys like Ben Leeper, Cayne Ueckert? A lot of these guys are coming up on rule 5 so doing the due diligence to see what the farm has would make sense. Also what is the word in Marquez?

Sharma: Just answered a similar question and yes, I'd expect a lot of those names you mentioned to be added, particularly the last three names. No word on Marquez, not sure exactly what's up there but I don't believe we're very close to seeing him on a mound competitively.

What are the FO’s thoughts on Matt Mervis at this point?

Sharma: Hearing good things. Multiple people in this chat keep asking about a 1B of the future. I think they need to add one this offseason, but perhaps long-term Mervis is that guy. He's opened some eyes for sure though.

Hi Sahadev. What's the organization's thoughts on Darius Hill? The Cubs really need another left-handed bat and all Darius has done this year is hit. I know he doesn't have tremendous power, but he still has an OPS at Iowa around .940 and I think he is Rule 5 eligible.

Sharma: I think he's impressed enough that we'll see him post trade deadline. Don't know it for sure, but it makes a lot of sense if Ortega is moved.
0 x

craig
All-Star

Postby craig » Thu Jul 07, 2022 6:25 pm

CaliforniaRaisin wrote:BA’s prospect hot sheet for the 20 hottest minor leaguers in baseball:

18. Anderson Espinoza, RHP, Cubs
Team: Double-A Tennessee (League)

Why He’s Here: 1-0, 0.00, 6 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 2 BB, 8 SO, 0 HR

The Scoop: Espinoza’s first big league callup in May was heartwarming, but he hadn’t actually pitched well this season. That changed last week. Espinoza pitched five no-hit innings against Rocket City on June 28 in his best start of the season and followed with a scoreless inning of relief at Birmingham on July 4. It was his first sustained success of the year after he entered the week with a 7.87 ERA for the Smokies. Espinoza still has a long way to go to reclaim his former top prospect status, but his week was a step in the right direction. (KG).

I kinda feel like BA can't forget it's former "top prospect" rating.

I suspect lots of guys could post an effective 7K 5-inning outing like Espinoza had without getting on the hot sheet. But given their former ranking, I think one sharp game catches their attention.

Would like to see him stack some good games. Would be fun if he somehow emerged, for sure. But poor control and a mediocre fastball makes it variably unlikely.
0 x

TomtheBombadil
Superstar

Postby TomtheBombadil » Fri Jul 08, 2022 2:16 am

Trade target? Neither he or Nolan Jones are on the Guardians' 40 and having breakout seasons in AAA:

0 x

"We struck down evil with the mighty sword of teamwork and the hammer of not-bickering." - The Shoveler

CubinNY
Hall of Fame

Postby CubinNY » Fri Jul 08, 2022 5:42 pm

I know I'm not the first person on the bandwagon, but if I'm betting on futures, I'm betting long on Matt Mevis. All he's done is hit.
0 x

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Tue Jul 12, 2022 1:14 am

Yes!!!!!

2 x

Bertz
5-Time All-Star

Postby Bertz » Tue Jul 12, 2022 1:53 am

CaliforniaRaisin wrote:Yes!!!!!

Him and Koen at MB next year will hopefully be pretty fun
0 x

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Tue Jul 12, 2022 2:22 pm

From BA’s list of 20 hottest prospects last week:

6. Yohendrick Pinango, OF, Cubs
Team: High-A South Bend (Midwest)

Why He’s Here: .482/.482/.741 (13-for-27), 4 R, 4 2B, 1 HR, 8 RBIs, 0 BB, 3 SO, 1-for-1 SB

The Scoop: Pinango continues to solidify himself as the best pure hitter in the Cubs system. The 20-year-old Venezuelan recorded multiple hits in five of his six games last week, including a pair of three-hit games and a 2-for-4 night with a double and a home run. The week extended his hitting streak to eight games and gave him 85 hits on the season, most on a talented South Bend team by a wide margin. (KG).
0 x

Tryptamine
5-Time All-Star

Postby Tryptamine » Tue Jul 12, 2022 3:25 pm

CaliforniaRaisin wrote:From BA’s list of 20 hottest prospects last week:

Why He’s Here: .482/.482/.741 (13-for-27), 4 R, 4 2B, 1 HR, 8 RBIs, 0 BB, 3 SO, 1-for-1 SB

The Scoop: Pinango continues to solidify himself as the best pure hitter in the Cubs system. The 20-year-old Venezuelan recorded multiple hits in five of his six games last week, including a pair of three-hit games and a 2-for-4 night with a double and a home run. The week extended his hitting streak to eight games and gave him 85 hits on the season, most on a talented South Bend team by a wide margin. (KG).

I don't think Pinango gets enough love. His ISO has literally doubled and while it's not amazing, he's putting up a 114 wRC+ at A+ in his age 20 season. I don't know that he has any star power, but I could see him as good 4th OFer type or a a cheap 3rd OFer putting up 2-2.5fWAR seasons. If it carries over to AA this season, I think he has to be in the top 15.
0 x

CubinNY
Hall of Fame

Postby CubinNY » Tue Jul 12, 2022 3:35 pm

Tryptamine wrote:

I don't think Pinango gets enough love. His ISO has literally doubled and while it's not amazing, he's putting up a 114 wRC+ at A+ in his age 20 season. I don't know that he has any star power, but I could see him as good 4th OFer type or a a cheap 3rd OFer putting up 2-2.5fWAR seasons. If it carries over to AA this season, I think he has to be in the top 15.

He's a great trade candidate for when the Cubs start buying.
0 x

Bertz
5-Time All-Star

Postby Bertz » Tue Jul 12, 2022 4:25 pm

CubinNY wrote:
Tryptamine wrote:

Yeah I tend to think Canario and Pinango are the most expendable guys on the farm among the top 30 types.
0 x

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Tue Jul 12, 2022 5:25 pm

Bertz wrote:
CubinNY wrote:
Tryptamine wrote:

Yeah I tend to think Canario and Pinango are the most expendable guys on the farm among the top 30 types.

Canario is expendable now with the 40-man crunch (and I’m just not that high on him).
0 x

JeffH
All-Star

Postby JeffH » Tue Jul 12, 2022 5:31 pm

CaliforniaRaisin wrote:
Bertz wrote:
CubinNY wrote:He's a great trade candidate for when the Cubs start buying.

Canario is expendable now with the 40-man crunch (and I’m just not that high on him).

I'm the opposite. I'm not trading Canario in any sort of "clear the decks" move. Way too much "boom" potential. I hold him until he busts. The minor trade assets that I miss out on are expendable for that trade-off.
0 x

TomtheBombadil
Superstar

Postby TomtheBombadil » Wed Jul 13, 2022 12:31 am

JeffH wrote:
CaliforniaRaisin wrote:
Bertz wrote:

I'm the opposite. I'm not trading Canario in any sort of "clear the decks" move. Way too much "boom" potential. I hold him until he busts. The minor trade assets that I miss out on are expendable for that trade-off.

Yeah, similar situation with Pinango. Neither does much in a trade, even a small one, are unlikely to be taken in the ML portion of the Rule 5, and could offer talented depth on an ideally much more star studded and expensive roster

Alcantara seems to be the most expendable of the top 30. He's super hyped and among the ancient order of Top 100 prospects, Rule 5 eligible IIRC, but very far from the MLs and behind both Davis and PCA on any CF/OF depth chart this year or next
0 x

"We struck down evil with the mighty sword of teamwork and the hammer of not-bickering." - The Shoveler

JeffH
All-Star

Postby JeffH » Wed Jul 13, 2022 12:47 am

Good grief.
3 x

TomtheBombadil
Superstar

Postby TomtheBombadil » Wed Jul 13, 2022 12:50 am

Sorry, I forget the walking on eggshells thing sometimes
0 x

Legendarystatus94
bench player

Postby Legendarystatus94 » Wed Jul 13, 2022 2:52 am

TomtheBombadil wrote:
JeffH wrote:
CaliforniaRaisin wrote:

Yeah, similar situation with Pinango. Neither does much in a trade, even a small one, are unlikely to be taken in the ML portion of the Rule 5, and could offer talented depth on an ideally much more star studded and expensive roster

Alcantara seems to be the most expendable of the top 30. He's super hyped and among the ancient order of Top 100 prospects, Rule 5 eligible IIRC, but very far from the MLs and behind both Davis and PCA on any CF/OF depth chart this year or next

No way they trade Alcantara. I know you’re not as high on him as others, but he’s shown so much flashes of star potential at just 19. He could always play DH.You find room for guys like that.
1 x

We Got The Whole 9
5-Time All-Star

Postby We Got The Whole 9 » Wed Jul 13, 2022 3:11 am

The most expendable of the top 30 is crazy pants horsefeathers to say. You want to say, most expendable of the top 10, make the argument; you won't find too many who agree, but whatever. Saying most expendable of the top 30 is simply a misuse of the term, expendable.
1 x

TomtheBombadil
Superstar

Postby TomtheBombadil » Wed Jul 13, 2022 3:22 am

^^ Sounds right to me

Legendarystatus94 wrote:No way they trade Alcantara. I know you’re not as high on him as others, but he’s shown so much flashes of star potential at just 19. He could always play DH.You find room for guys like that.

I get that there's plenty to like but is being 19 year old in A ball hitting .268/.356/.475 with a 26% K rate really the standard? I feel like that won't work out great
0 x

Legendarystatus94
bench player

Postby Legendarystatus94 » Wed Jul 13, 2022 3:33 am

TomtheBombadil wrote:^^ Sounds right to me

Legendarystatus94 wrote:No way they trade Alcantara. I know you’re not as high on him as others, but he’s shown so much flashes of star potential at just 19. He could always play DH.You find room for guys like that.

I get that there's plenty to like but is being 19 year old in A ball hitting .268/.356/.475 with a 26% K rate really the standard? I feel like that won't work out great

It’s the overall potential and flashes of excellence that peak your interest. Like the 2 homer, 8 rbi game for instance. Even tonight, he had a really nice diving catch in the outfield. You bet on the tools with someone like him. It’s more than just the numbers. He’s definitely better than marisnick.
0 x

TomtheBombadil
Superstar

Postby TomtheBombadil » Wed Jul 13, 2022 10:44 pm

Legendarystatus94 wrote:It’s the overall potential and flashes of excellence that peak your interest. Like the 2 homer, 8 rbi game for instance. Even tonight, he had a really nice diving catch in the outfield. You bet on the tools with someone like him. It’s more than just the numbers. He’s definitely better than marisnick.

FTR Marisnick hit .320/.392/.496 (152 wRC+) with a sub-20% K rate in A ball as a 20 YO 3rd year pro (2nd full year) over 523 PAs. Alcantara's a 19 YO 4th year (3rd full) pro with a 128 wRC+, .268/.356/.475 triple slash...Alcantara seems like a great teammate, is right there with Crow-Armstrong as the best OF defender in the org and maybe even best overall defender, but needless to say I don't get what screams "definitely better" there. Two different styles of offense for sure, but not definitely better
0 x

Return to “Minor Leagues”