General Cubs Chit-Chat

big ball chunky time
Formerly imb!

Re: General Cubs Chit-Chat

Postby big ball chunky time » Wed Jul 20, 2022 9:31 pm

jersey cubs fan wrote:
big ball chunky time wrote:dunno what joke to make here.

just a straightforward "actually the moon landing never happened, that was a soundstage" post

or

the more detailed "we actually never landed on the moon because molecules don't actually touch each other. so technically we landed on the space that surrounds the moon."
lets table that and circle back after you get a chance to workshop

the earth is flat actually so you can't really circle back to anything
4 x
Duke Silver wrote:You've never been right about anything. You bitch and moan at the slightest hint of things not going right ... Suck my ass, you whiny little bitch.

WrigleyField 22
Superstar

Postby WrigleyField 22 » Wed Jul 20, 2022 10:19 pm

big ball chunky time wrote:
jersey cubs fan wrote:
big ball chunky time wrote:dunno what joke to make here.

just a straightforward "actually the moon landing never happened, that was a soundstage" post

or

the more detailed "we actually never landed on the moon because molecules don't actually touch each other. so technically we landed on the space that surrounds the moon."
lets table that and circle back after you get a chance to workshop

Its a disc, so you can still circle back to it technically.
2 x

Transmogrified Tiger
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Thu Jul 21, 2022 11:46 pm

Fangraphs revived an old Jeff Sullivan bit, the worst swings of the season so far: https://blogs.fangraphs.com/the-worst-s ... he-season/

Number 1 is Effross humiliating Jorge Alfaro
0 x

Bull
Formerly MrWood

Postby Bull » Fri Jul 22, 2022 12:22 pm

WrigleyField 22 wrote:
big ball chunky time wrote:
jersey cubs fan wrote:lets table that and circle back after you get a chance to workshop

Its a disc, so you can still circle back to it technically.

Sphere back?
1 x

Bertz
5-Time All-Star

Postby Bertz » Fri Jul 22, 2022 7:50 pm

The Phillies are now clearly going to dong him into oblivion tonight
0 x

Bertz
5-Time All-Star

Postby Bertz » Fri Jul 22, 2022 8:50 pm

Have to assume Wieck gets cut this winter now.

Miley might get a rehab start in before the TDL, so maybe he does actually get dealt?
0 x

abmillis
All-Star

Postby abmillis » Sun Jul 24, 2022 2:11 pm

Just saw something referencing the ASG being in Seattle next year and it led me to look... Colorado, Seattle, San Diego, Cleveland, and Pittsburgh have all hosted the ASG twice since it was last at Wrigley.

Pittsburgh and SD at least had new stadiums, but the other 3 have had it twice in the same park. I know its not a huge deal, but when the Cubs are good again (2024?) It would be nice to see then host the ASG at Wrigley.
1 x

cl smooth
All-Star

Postby cl smooth » Sun Jul 24, 2022 2:27 pm

Bertz wrote:https://twitter.com/M_Montemurro/status/1550579596349034496?t=T5IH58zuw8nHKpLdOfSphw&s=19

"Jason Heyward is continuing to do baseball activities."
1 x

PackLandVA
All-Star

Postby PackLandVA » Sun Jul 24, 2022 5:11 pm

cl smooth wrote:

"Jason Heyward is continuing to do baseball activities."

3 x
Sticks the landing!!!

muntjack
All-Star

Postby muntjack » Mon Jul 25, 2022 10:55 pm

NL rookies wRC+ (min 75 PAs)

1. P.J. Higgins
2. Christopher Morel
3. Nelson Velazquez
4. Brendan Donovan
5. Seiya Suzuki

I am playing games with # of PAs but it's something fun in a dark season
1 x

Tryptamine
5-Time All-Star

Postby Tryptamine » Wed Aug 03, 2022 3:06 pm

Was bored and the boss isn't in the office yet so, I looked at production from positions

C= 3.1 fWAR (7th)
1B= -.3 fWAR (27th)
2B= .2 fWAR (24th)
SS= 2.4 fWAR (10th)
3B= .4 fWAR (25th)
LF= 2.7 fWAR (6th)
CF= 1.5 fWAR (15th)
RF= .8 fWAR (18th)
DH= 2.1 fWAR (8th)
SP= 4.0 fWAR (26th)
RP= 2.1 fWAR (14th)

Long story short, please let Matt Mervis be a thing, get Rodon to lead the staff and any of Trea/Correa/Bogaerts to sure up the IF.
0 x

itisallpartoftheplan
5-Time All-Star

Postby itisallpartoftheplan » Wed Aug 03, 2022 4:50 pm

What would be the most realistic exciting possibilities for the Cubs to end the season?

Right now I feel like the only exciting at bats most games are Seiya, Morel, and Velazquez(not on the same level as the other 2).

Obviously on the pitching side Thompson and Steele may start to slow down. Other than that maybe Stroman starts can be fun. Then with the relievers we have a few new guys trying to discover what they can do like Hughes, Espinoza, and Uelmen.

Other than that we basically know what everyone is or don’t expect much.

Will Kilian(again), Amaya, or Canario get a late season taste?

Will Brennan, Wesneski, or Mervis get a surprising 40 man add before the off-season?

What is something that is could spice up the game that is realistic?
0 x
-The Plan worked!!

Transmogrified Tiger
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Wed Aug 03, 2022 5:11 pm

itisallpartoftheplan wrote:What is something that is could spice up the game that is realistic?

Mervis going nuts in AAA and forcing his way into a September call-up where he makes a serious case to play opening day.

Madrigal getting back to his 2020-2021 form, for all the handwringing about him he's only had 115 PA as a Cub compared to 334 MLB PA w/ a .317/.358/.406 line prior.

Seiya continuing to adjust to MLB pitching and looking more like a 4-5 win player for 2023 than a 3 win player.

Wesneski taking off with a small developmental tweak, and maybe getting the chance to prove it in Chicago in September.

Newcomb (continuing to?) look like a potential MLB starter, and maybe getting the chance to prove it in Chicago in September.

McKinstry pulling a Morel and making a great position-less platoon with him for 2023 roster planning.
1 x

Bertz
5-Time All-Star

Postby Bertz » Wed Aug 03, 2022 6:02 pm

I think Davis, Mervis, and Amaya are the biggies.

If Davis excels upon returning, it's suddenly very realistic for him to win the CF job out of ST. Between that and Happ sticking around, the OF doesn't need any reinforcements at all this winter, which is great.

With Mervis and Amaya, I don't know that there's enough time for them to get pencilled into next year's opening day lineup, but there is enough for them to influence how many resources need to be allocated to their respective positions. Like if Mervis is crushing it, I'm very comfortable just throwing Wisdom and Mervis at 1B and assuming things will work out fine. I don't think there's anything Amaya can do to make me "very comfortable" but I think I could be okay with it.
1 x

UMFan83
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby UMFan83 » Wed Aug 03, 2022 6:46 pm

itisallpartoftheplan wrote:What would be the most realistic exciting possibilities for the Cubs to end the season?

Right now I feel like the only exciting at bats most games are Seiya, Morel, and Velazquez(not on the same level as the other 2).

Obviously on the pitching side Thompson and Steele may start to slow down. Other than that maybe Stroman starts can be fun. Then with the relievers we have a few new guys trying to discover what they can do like Hughes, Espinoza, and Uelmen.

Other than that we basically know what everyone is or don’t expect much.

Will Kilian(again), Amaya, or Canario get a late season taste?

Will Brennan, Wesneski, or Mervis get a surprising 40 man add before the off-season?

What is something that is could spice up the game that is realistic?

I'd like to see Miley come back and have some strong starts to end the season. Hopefully being injured most of the year has depressed his value and both sides will say 'ok whatever' and re-up for another 1-2 seasons at a reasonable price. He seemed to like being here the short time he was healthy and he pitched pretty damn well.
0 x
Win it for Fred

TomtheBombadil
Superstar

Postby TomtheBombadil » Thu Aug 04, 2022 1:30 am

Maybe the realistic thing I'm most excited for in the second half is a harder throwing pitching staff. The foursome of relievers traded collectively averaged around 92, same for the bullpen as a whole (29th in baseball!!!)

Michael Rucker averaged 95, Espinoza 94, Uemen's been 94.5, Kervin Castro 94, Manuel Rodriguez was throwing bullpens two weeks ago and throws gas, and there's more depth in the upper minors with the opportunity to force a callup. It's not just relief - Kilian reportedly hit 100 in his last start and averaged 95 during his early season callup. Sean Newcomb's been starting/opening, has starting experience anyway, and averaged 95 during his initial run with Cubs, Wesneski's been up the 98 making starts in the Yankees org

Happ, Contreras, and Suzuki all probably have more HR power
0 x
Spoiler: show

"We struck down evil with the mighty sword of teamwork and the hammer of not-bickering." - The Shoveler

TomtheBombadil
Superstar

Postby TomtheBombadil » Thu Aug 04, 2022 2:36 am

This Kervin Castro guy seems interesting:

Only 23...Pretty good MiLB numbers, didn't really hit a bump until AAA with a west coast PCL home park, got called up last year and threw some decent innings
0 x

"We struck down evil with the mighty sword of teamwork and the hammer of not-bickering." - The Shoveler

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Thu Aug 04, 2022 3:41 am

TomtheBombadil wrote:Only 23...

That’s not a thing.

Only 19 is a thing. Maybe only 20/21. A guy who hasn’t done anything and is 23 is just 23.
1 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Thu Aug 04, 2022 3:05 pm

0 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

CubinNY
Hall of Fame

Postby CubinNY » Thu Aug 04, 2022 5:00 pm

I'm interested in hearing ideas for what people think the Cubs should do for the remainder of the season. I'm all for quickly DFAing a bunch of shlubs and bringing up prospects just to get them acclimated to the big leagues. I know they won't do this due to service time [expletive] and money this and more [expletive] that. But please, let's see what they have and not have to watch/listen to Frank Schwindel and Heyward and a bunch of other stiffs getting ABs. Start the rebuild process now.
0 x

Transmogrified Tiger
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Thu Aug 04, 2022 5:59 pm

CubinNY wrote:I'm interested in hearing ideas for what people think the Cubs should do for the remainder of the season. I'm all for quickly DFAing a bunch of shlubs and bringing up prospects just to get them acclimated to the big leagues. I know they won't do this due to service time [expletive] and money this and more [expletive] that. But please, let's see what they have and not have to watch/listen to Frank Schwindel and Heyward and a bunch of other stiffs getting ABs. Start the rebuild process now.

For me it comes down to two things, who is ready for an opportunity and who can we learn enough about in 2 months that it impacts the trajectory of the offseason. Opinions will vary on those two, but for me it's helpful to start with who is not ready:

- I would rather Velazquez be getting AAA at bats than spot/platoon MLB duty. He hasn't excelled at that level yet and I think his path to being successful at the MLB level requires more of that developmental work that isn't as easily done facing MLB staffs. Even if it means more Heyward in the meantime whenever he gets back from wherever he is right now.

- I don't need to see Miley or Smyly start games. With innings limitations on Steele/Thompson and Hendricks' injury I'm not gonna be mad since there will be opportunity to go around, but I don't see a path to them getting signed for next year with the current depth so they're not a priority.

- I don't need to see Mervis in Chicago unless he is destroying the ball in Iowa with great peripherals. I'm very excited about the possibility he can be a potential solution as soon as next year, but I'd rather have higher confidence in his AAA performance being real than get a smattering of MLB at bats that won't change his risk profile heading into the offseason.

- Similarly, unless there's an injury crisis or he's completely unhittable in August, I would leave Kilian in Iowa for the rest of the year to make sure his command is where it was before his stuff ticked up. With Steele and Thompson's emergence it's less critical he be ready to take the first turn in the rotation next year, so I don't need to see him in MLB right away.

- As a counter point, unless there are pitch lab reasons to keep them in Iowa, I'd like to see Newcomb get more MLB innings right away, and Wesneski to be first in line afterwards if there needs to be more starts sucked up. They both have demonstrated enough at AAA for me that it'll help to understand their ability to be next year's Thompson/Steele.

- Unless there's a very specific adjustment they're waiting on them from Iowa, I would like to see Madrigal and Frazier get extended time in Chicago. Madrigal has pedigree and MLB success to the point where I'm not ready to give up on him after 30 poor games, even if his profile doesn't have 5 win upside. Frazier I still believe has some MLB success in there and in the worst case scenario you can give him PA at 1B because there are no good options there for the time being.

- McKinstry should be getting as many PA as possible as well, we need to see how well that bat plays and if he's gonna be something like La Stella + defense at the MLB level, or a more athletic Rivas.
1 x

Bertz
5-Time All-Star

Postby Bertz » Thu Aug 04, 2022 6:09 pm

CubinNY wrote:I'm interested in hearing ideas for what people think the Cubs should do for the remainder of the season. I'm all for quickly DFAing a bunch of shlubs and bringing up prospects just to get them acclimated to the big leagues. I know they won't do this due to service time [expletive] and money this and more [expletive] that. But please, let's see what they have and not have to watch/listen to Frank Schwindel and Heyward and a bunch of other stiffs getting ABs. Start the rebuild process now.

On the position player side, nothing too crazy IMO.

- Wisdom and Higgins should own 1B, Schwindel probably shouldn't take another PA. Wisdom because he probably opens there as the everyday guy next year, and Higgins because we should try to learn how legit his bat is. He's a bad defensive catcher, but if he hits he's at least an option as the backup next year

- Mckinstry and Madrigal need to play as much as possible. Nelly's not quite in the same boat, but I'd start protecting him less aggressively and give him more starts against RHP. Barring injury obviously, there should rarely be a lineup that doesn't feature two of Mckinstry/Madrigal/Nelly

- It takes a backseat to the two above, but I'd like to see Darius Hill up and get some action. He's probably about the same as Ortega, but being 6 years younger and having minor league options, it'd be nice to know if that's a swap Jed can make over the offseason

Pitching is a lot more complicated. But:

- At this point Thompson and Steele have shown enough that I like them longer term. They're both getting wobbly lately but it's pretty clearly tied to fatigue. Make sure they get their full complement of innings as safely as possible

- I'd like to get Kilian, Newcomb, and Wesneski as many MLB innings as possible as well. I'm not sure how many are available given there were no SP trades, but I'd like to lean here where possible

- I'd like to really cycle through short relievers. There's a ton of 40 man issues to consider, but I'd like some of the live arms up, even if they on paper don't seem quite ready. Get at least the beginnings of some answers heading into the winter
0 x

TomtheBombadil
Superstar

Postby TomtheBombadil » Thu Aug 04, 2022 10:45 pm

Think I lean with TT that Kilian should proooobably spend the rest of the year in AAA to figure out the strike throwing issue. The control issues have limited his innings this year (he's only at 77.2 btw MLB and MiLB), the nearly two full months of AAA ball left gives him maybe 8-9 starts to clean that up a little. It would be less than ideal for this guy to walk out with a career low in IP (112 in 2019, 118 in 2021) and more walks

Wesneski first up for sure (now that Newcomb's up without options)...A wild card I'd throw out, it's not realistic though would be a similar to Hoerner 2019, but Jordan Wicks is already in AA with a 30% K rate and 24-25% K-BB on the season while on pace to easily set a career high in IP
0 x

CubinNY
Hall of Fame

Postby CubinNY » Thu Aug 04, 2022 11:30 pm

They sent Bote down, so that’s a good start.
0 x

Transmogrified Tiger
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Mon Aug 08, 2022 5:35 pm

The Field of Dreams game is Thursday, I'm glad they picked a good retro jersey for it

2 x

Return to “Cubs Discussions”