General Cubs Chit-Chat

Bertz
5-Time All-Star
Posts: 5524
Joined: Thu Oct 19, 2017 2:59 pm
x 1905
x 2954

Re: General Cubs Chit-Chat

Postby Bertz » Sun Jun 26, 2022 6:01 pm

We Got The Whole 9 wrote:Since returning from the IL on 5/25 Nico has the lowest K rate in baseball at 4.9% and the next closest is JRam at 6.6%. Nico has struck out just 3 times in June. What's also encouraging and somewhat exciting is that he's maintained his LA during that time and that is just below 10 on the season, which is a number that several guys live at and still punch out 20 HR a year with. He could be in for a major breakout next year. During that time post-IL he's put up the 2nd best defense across baseball also.


Yeah I think he's a guy that a few years ago would have been liable to put up some random juiced ball 25 homer season.

Even if the power doesn't progress though, he's really taking a star turn. He's played at damn near a 6 win pace since the start of last year, and he's over 4 WAR for his career in less than a full season's playing time. I don't think the defense is actually *that* good, but he's going to continue to pace comfortably above 3 WAR/600 PAs. The durability is the big issue, but plenty of young guys have overcome that (while old guys who become brittle nearly always stay brittle).
0 x

User avatar
Transmogrified Tiger
Inner-Circle HOF
Posts: 58904
Joined: Tue Jun 03, 2003 4:23 pm
Location: Greater St. Louis
x 773
x 8862

Re: General Cubs Chit-Chat

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Sun Jun 26, 2022 6:29 pm

With Nico, you'd like to see the walk rate go back to last year's levels, but that's a nitpick when he's playing as well as he is. Roughly league average offense from a plus SS goes a long way. Now is probably a good time to get a sense of his appetite for an extension, he's only just turned 25 but he's first time arb eligible this year already, it could be mutually beneficial for Hoerner to lock in his financial security(even as a 1st rounder he "only" got a bonus of 2.7 mil) and the team can be more aggressive knowing he's not even going to hit 30 until his 2nd post-FA year.
0 x

User avatar
UMFan83
Inner-Circle HOF
Posts: 86194
Joined: Wed Oct 01, 2003 8:42 pm
Location: Southport Ave
x 4535
x 7341
Contact:

Re: General Cubs Chit-Chat

Postby UMFan83 » Mon Jun 27, 2022 4:06 pm

In 2014, Al Yellon wrote a letter suggesting that Theo Epstein should be fired. After being mocked endlessly, the Cubs went on to win the World Series in 2016.

Now...



Cubs 2024 World Series champs incoming!

Among his arguments for firing Jed, he mentions the Cubs being forced to take BP on a day when it was 97 degrees out lol
1 x
Win it for Fred

Backtobanks
5-Time All-Star
Posts: 7281
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2003 2:32 am
x 51
x 133

Re: General Cubs Chit-Chat

Postby Backtobanks » Mon Jun 27, 2022 4:17 pm

UMFan83 wrote:In 2014, Al Yellon wrote a letter suggesting that Theo Epstein should be fired. After being mocked endlessly, the Cubs went on to win the World Series in 2016.

Now...



Cubs 2024 World Series champs incoming!

Among his arguments for firing Jed, he mentions the Cubs being forced to take BP on a day when it was 97 degrees out lol


It's a moot point, he's got 3 1/2 years left on his contract and Ricketts is "broke".
0 x

User avatar
Transmogrified Tiger
Inner-Circle HOF
Posts: 58904
Joined: Tue Jun 03, 2003 4:23 pm
Location: Greater St. Louis
x 773
x 8862

Re: General Cubs Chit-Chat

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Mon Jun 27, 2022 4:28 pm

I will save you the click, his solution is hiring Sam Fuld.

Also he spends a paragraph getting mad that the Cubs took batting practice on some very hot days, and another paragraph mad that they signed Stephen Brault who has co-hosted Chris Rose's Youtube show a couple times while he's rehabbing injury.
0 x

User avatar
UMFan83
Inner-Circle HOF
Posts: 86194
Joined: Wed Oct 01, 2003 8:42 pm
Location: Southport Ave
x 4535
x 7341
Contact:

Re: General Cubs Chit-Chat

Postby UMFan83 » Mon Jun 27, 2022 4:41 pm

Transmogrified Tiger wrote:I will save you the click, his solution is hiring Sam Fuld.

Also he spends a paragraph getting mad that the Cubs took batting practice on some very hot days, and another paragraph mad that they signed Stephen Brault who has co-hosted Chris Rose's Youtube show a couple times while he's rehabbing injury.


That's why I posted it though, to mock Al Yellon because he's endlessly mockable.
0 x
Win it for Fred

User avatar
Transmogrified Tiger
Inner-Circle HOF
Posts: 58904
Joined: Tue Jun 03, 2003 4:23 pm
Location: Greater St. Louis
x 773
x 8862

Re: General Cubs Chit-Chat

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Mon Jun 27, 2022 4:45 pm

UMFan83 wrote:
Transmogrified Tiger wrote:I will save you the click, his solution is hiring Sam Fuld.

Also he spends a paragraph getting mad that the Cubs took batting practice on some very hot days, and another paragraph mad that they signed Stephen Brault who has co-hosted Chris Rose's Youtube show a couple times while he's rehabbing injury.


That's why I posted it though, to mock Al Yellon because he's endlessly mockable.


Oh I agree, I was trying to tee up mockery with the fewest possible page views on his end.
1 x

User avatar
Proven Veteran
All-Star
Posts: 2574
Joined: Tue Aug 03, 2004 6:47 pm
Location: Oakland, CA
x 2443
x 389

Re: General Cubs Chit-Chat

Postby Proven Veteran » Mon Jun 27, 2022 4:51 pm

Transmogrified Tiger wrote:
UMFan83 wrote:
Transmogrified Tiger wrote:I will save you the click, his solution is hiring Sam Fuld.

Also he spends a paragraph getting mad that the Cubs took batting practice on some very hot days, and another paragraph mad that they signed Stephen Brault who has co-hosted Chris Rose's Youtube show a couple times while he's rehabbing injury.


That's why I posted it though, to mock Al Yellon because he's endlessly mockable.


Oh I agree, I was trying to tee up mockery with the fewest possible page views on his end.

Damn it, I clicked before reading your recap. I wanted to slap him within a couple of paragraphs.
0 x

User avatar
UMFan83
Inner-Circle HOF
Posts: 86194
Joined: Wed Oct 01, 2003 8:42 pm
Location: Southport Ave
x 4535
x 7341
Contact:

Re: General Cubs Chit-Chat

Postby UMFan83 » Mon Jun 27, 2022 5:03 pm

Proven Veteran wrote:
Transmogrified Tiger wrote:
UMFan83 wrote:
That's why I posted it though, to mock Al Yellon because he's endlessly mockable.


Oh I agree, I was trying to tee up mockery with the fewest possible page views on his end.

Damn it, I clicked before reading your recap. I wanted to slap him within a couple of paragraphs.


One of my favorite parts is that he ends the article with a highlight of Sam Fuld making a diving catch as if that has anything to do with the point he's making with the article. Like wtf?
1 x
Win it for Fred

User avatar
Proven Veteran
All-Star
Posts: 2574
Joined: Tue Aug 03, 2004 6:47 pm
Location: Oakland, CA
x 2443
x 389

Re: General Cubs Chit-Chat

Postby Proven Veteran » Mon Jun 27, 2022 5:09 pm

UMFan83 wrote:
Proven Veteran wrote:
Transmogrified Tiger wrote:
Oh I agree, I was trying to tee up mockery with the fewest possible page views on his end.

Damn it, I clicked before reading your recap. I wanted to slap him within a couple of paragraphs.


One of my favorite parts is that he ends the article with a highlight of Sam Fuld making a diving catch as if that has anything to do with the point he's making with the article. Like wtf?


I mean, it's 100% the reason he wants to hire him.
0 x

big ball chunky time
Formerly imb!
Posts: 34366
Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2003 7:57 am
x 4367
x 9348
Contact:

Re: General Cubs Chit-Chat

Postby big ball chunky time » Mon Jun 27, 2022 6:07 pm

Backtobanks wrote:
UMFan83 wrote:In 2014, Al Yellon wrote a letter suggesting that Theo Epstein should be fired. After being mocked endlessly, the Cubs went on to win the World Series in 2016.

Now...



Cubs 2024 World Series champs incoming!

Among his arguments for firing Jed, he mentions the Cubs being forced to take BP on a day when it was 97 degrees out lol


It's a moot point, he's got 3 1/2 years left on his contract and Ricketts is "broke".


you mean "mute point"
3 x
Duke Silver wrote:You've never been right about anything. You bitch and moan at the slightest hint of things not going right ... Suck my ass, you whiny little bitch.

User avatar
Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts
Posts: 88886
Joined: Sat Oct 22, 2005 3:45 am
Location: Washington DC
x 20528
x 21835

Re: General Cubs Chit-Chat

Postby Sammy Sofa » Mon Jun 27, 2022 6:21 pm

That's a ludacris thing to say.
0 x
► Show Spoiler

User avatar
Ding Dong Johnson
Crap Bag
Posts: 36919
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2005 3:42 am
Location: Durnsville
x 1232
x 9119

Re: General Cubs Chit-Chat

Postby Ding Dong Johnson » Mon Jun 27, 2022 6:56 pm

Mineaswell just say what we're all thinking
0 x
Image

Backtobanks
5-Time All-Star
Posts: 7281
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2003 2:32 am
x 51
x 133

Re: General Cubs Chit-Chat

Postby Backtobanks » Mon Jun 27, 2022 6:58 pm

big ball chunky time wrote:
Backtobanks wrote:
UMFan83 wrote:In 2014, Al Yellon wrote a letter suggesting that Theo Epstein should be fired. After being mocked endlessly, the Cubs went on to win the World Series in 2016.

Now...



Cubs 2024 World Series champs incoming!

Among his arguments for firing Jed, he mentions the Cubs being forced to take BP on a day when it was 97 degrees out lol


It's a moot point, he's got 3 1/2 years left on his contract and Ricketts is "broke".


you mean "mute point"


https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=jo ... ORM=VDRVRV
0 x

User avatar
UMFan83
Inner-Circle HOF
Posts: 86194
Joined: Wed Oct 01, 2003 8:42 pm
Location: Southport Ave
x 4535
x 7341
Contact:

Re: General Cubs Chit-Chat

Postby UMFan83 » Mon Jun 27, 2022 8:25 pm

I have no idea what this podcast is but they interviewed David Ross and actually got some quotes from him about why Heyward plays all the time.

0 x
Win it for Fred

User avatar
Cubswin11
Hall of Fame
Posts: 28934
Joined: Tue Sep 23, 2008 8:17 pm
x 10201
x 6576

Re: General Cubs Chit-Chat

Postby Cubswin11 » Mon Jun 27, 2022 8:34 pm

He’s a horsefeathering moron and should be a first base coach at best and not managing a team making decisions.
5 x
Screw Pitchers

TomtheBombadil
Superstar
Posts: 11691
Joined: Thu Jun 18, 2015 8:35 pm
x 1234
x 1203

Re: General Cubs Chit-Chat

Postby TomtheBombadil » Mon Jun 27, 2022 10:58 pm

Hot take: We, the fans, are not missing out on anything fun by playing Hewyard

Hotter take: It's a really ugly look to be the big market team with zero payroll issues, somehow fewer expectations (even for a Cubs team!), and zero legitimate options to just DFA a highly respected player because because. Cycling through all the fringe MiLB flavors of the week is fun to talk about amongst ourselves but not a real option (take solace...yet! great Future being built in this freest and bravest land) and kind of an insane way for anything not evil to exist
0 x
Spoiler: show
Image


"We struck down evil with the mighty sword of teamwork and the hammer of not-bickering." - The Shoveler

User avatar
Tim
Hall of Fame
Posts: 47373
Joined: Fri Feb 28, 2003 5:02 pm
Location: Naperville, IL
x 174
x 3495
Contact:

Re: General Cubs Chit-Chat

Postby Tim » Mon Jun 27, 2022 11:47 pm

I'm honestly not that mad at Ross for continuing to play Heyward while he's on the roster. As much as he's a respected leader on the team, it could easily hurt the clubhouse to stick him at the end of the bench.

The answer is that the decision shouldn't be in his hands and Heyward shouldn't be on the roster.
2 x
Spoiler: show

Image

User avatar
muntjack
All-Star
Posts: 2195
Joined: Wed Jun 04, 2003 4:22 am
Location: Mukilteo, WA
x 710
x 253

Re: General Cubs Chit-Chat

Postby muntjack » Tue Jun 28, 2022 11:00 am

I can't believe we're back to Dusty Baker. Just play Velazquez.
0 x

CubinNY
Hall of Fame
Posts: 26911
Joined: Fri Jul 09, 2004 5:52 pm
Location: Pike Road, Al
x 971
x 2092

Re: General Cubs Chit-Chat

Postby CubinNY » Tue Jun 28, 2022 11:02 am

Crane was on the score lying about spending, again. I swear they think Cub fans are morons.

I don’t know what is worse, if he’s lying or telling the truth.

https://www.bleachernation.com/cubs/202 ... 2-to-2023/
0 x

squally1313
5-Time All-Star
Posts: 5545
Joined: Sat Mar 24, 2007 7:34 pm
x 1966
x 2326

Re: General Cubs Chit-Chat

Postby squally1313 » Tue Jun 28, 2022 1:32 pm

TomtheBombadil wrote:Hot take: We, the fans, are not missing out on anything fun by playing Hewyard

Hotter take: It's a really ugly look to be the big market team with zero payroll issues, somehow fewer expectations (even for a Cubs team!), and zero legitimate options to just DFA a highly respected player because because. Cycling through all the fringe MiLB flavors of the week is fun to talk about amongst ourselves but not a real option (take solace...yet! great Future being built in this freest and bravest land) and kind of an insane way for anything not evil to exist


I weirdly don't disagree with most of this, but it's disingenuous to throw in the big market/zero payroll part because DFAing him, as far as I understand, wouldn't save them any money, outside of some team bizarrely (understatement) deciding to pick him up and taking on a small part of it. I think that's actually where the frustration comes in, that it seems like they're just going with sunk cost fallacy here. And obviously Ross' answer there didn't help.
0 x

User avatar
SouthSideRyan
is ELL
Posts: 50611
Joined: Wed Sep 24, 2003 6:08 am
Location: South Loop
x 1087
x 2524

Re: General Cubs Chit-Chat

Postby SouthSideRyan » Tue Jun 28, 2022 1:57 pm

CubinNY wrote:Crane was on the score lying about spending, again. I swear they think Cub fans are morons.

I don’t know what is worse, if he’s lying or telling the truth.

https://www.bleachernation.com/cubs/202 ... 2-to-2023/


Brett wrote:GREAT NEWS GUYS!!!
2 x
Exile on Waveland wrote: IU smells like poop.

User avatar
Transmogrified Tiger
Inner-Circle HOF
Posts: 58904
Joined: Tue Jun 03, 2003 4:23 pm
Location: Greater St. Louis
x 773
x 8862

Re: General Cubs Chit-Chat

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Tue Jun 28, 2022 3:06 pm

Tim wrote:I'm honestly not that mad at Ross for continuing to play Heyward while he's on the roster. As much as he's a respected leader on the team, it could easily hurt the clubhouse to stick him at the end of the bench.

The answer is that the decision shouldn't be in his hands and Heyward shouldn't be on the roster.


Yeah if Jed was really furious about Heyward getting all the starts he would do something about it, and Jed has also proven himself not at all overly attached to the players of past glories. Prior to Suzuki's injury and his spell with covid, Heyward was playing far less, and while he had gone cold right before the covid spell, on the whole he was playing at a rosterable level. Since he's been back from covid, Suzuki and Hermosillo are out, and apparently they don't trust anyone else(given Ross's playing time distribution and Jed DFA'ing Frazier) to play RF with any regularity. I can half accept this argument for the lack of alternatives even if I don't agree with it, but the marginal alternative is something like Rivas playing RF so it's not something I care to get too worked up about. Both UZR and Statcast seem to agree that his defense is still comfortably above average(in the +5 to +7 range) if not at his previous elite +12 or +14.

As for Velazquez, I think it's clear that they don't think he should be up, but injuries have forced their hand and they're hesitant to do even more 40 man shenanigans to get someone else in. I can accept that they want to meter out his playing time carefully, he was hitting .211/.290/.415 with a 36% K rate at Iowa, he's very likely gonna get humiliated by hitting against RHP with regularity which could set back whatever development path they have for him.
0 x

TomtheBombadil
Superstar
Posts: 11691
Joined: Thu Jun 18, 2015 8:35 pm
x 1234
x 1203

Re: General Cubs Chit-Chat

Postby TomtheBombadil » Wed Jun 29, 2022 2:47 am

^^ Yeah, forgot to say that he's probably gone not long after Suzuki comes back. The Man just needs it to look right enough and nothing better than a younger, cheaper, más eficiente replacement. There's some tact in literally and figuratively replacing him as the OF and clubhouse/media anchor with a prime aged, top FA like Suzuki, no coincidence he's a RF/CF on a contract with an AAV nearly $10 million less

As far as the DFA, the win for owners is a domino falling towards non-guaranteed contracts in an already flooded, noisy FA market or something
0 x
Spoiler: show
Image


"We struck down evil with the mighty sword of teamwork and the hammer of not-bickering." - The Shoveler

User avatar
Ding Dong Johnson
Crap Bag
Posts: 36919
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2005 3:42 am
Location: Durnsville
x 1232
x 9119

Re: General Cubs Chit-Chat

Postby Ding Dong Johnson » Fri Jul 08, 2022 2:03 am

1 x
Image


Return to “Cubs Discussions”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests