NCAA Conference Realignment

CubbieBum
5-Time All-Star

NCAA Conference Realignment

Postby CubbieBum » Sat Dec 12, 2009 12:50 am

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/news/story?id=4735336

Barry Alvarez is saying they will.

Not sure who they could get but my guess if we do add one it will come out of the Big East. I don't see ND coming aboard. Neither side is willing to budge on the money issue. Pitt, Marquette, and Cincinnati I would say are the most likely candidates in the long run and I personally wouldn't mind any one of them with Pitt being top choice.

OleMissCub
Hall of Fame

Re: Big Ten stepping up efforts for 12th school?

Postby OleMissCub » Sat Dec 12, 2009 12:54 am

I think most everyone knows who that 12th school should be, but that school wouldn't agree to it.

Andy
Hall of Fame

Postby Andy » Sat Dec 12, 2009 1:00 am

Two of my friends and I had a lengthy back and forth (and back...) on Twitter today and one of them brought up Syracuse and Rutgers as possibilities too - for the NYC money.

Missouri is a team that is sometimes floated for the Big Ten too but I doubt they'd ever leave the Big 12.

And as for the Notre Dame issue - the Big Ten themselves said they would never again pursue Notre Dame after the Irish declined membership in 1999. For whatever that's worth.

dew
Hall of Fame

Postby dew » Sat Dec 12, 2009 1:02 am

CubbieBum wrote:http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/news/story?id=4735336

Not sure who they could get but my guess if we do add one it will come out of the Big East. I don't see ND coming aboard. Neither side is willing to budge on the money issue. Pitt, Marquette, and Cincinnati I would say are the most likely candidates in the long run and I personally wouldn't mind any one of them with Pitt being top choice.

Pitt/Penn State every year (or at least most years) would be fun to watch.
Society in every state is a blessing, but government, even in its best state, is a necessary evil; in its worst state, an intolerable one.
-Thomas Paine

To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them.
-George Mason

Andy
Hall of Fame

Postby Andy » Sat Dec 12, 2009 1:03 am

Marquette?? They have no football team, and the only reason for the Big Ten to chase a 12th team is to have a football title game. No way.

Transmogrified Tiger
Hall of Fame

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Sat Dec 12, 2009 1:10 am

Pitt probably makes the most sense. Not sure how they are academically, but they have to be better than Cincy. As a Mizzou guy who grew up in Big 10 territory it's a fun idea to think about, but I don't think it would happen.

CubbieBum
5-Time All-Star

Postby CubbieBum » Sat Dec 12, 2009 1:21 am

Andy wrote:Marquette?? They have no football team, and the only reason for the Big Ten to chase a 12th team is to have a football title game. No way.

Ha! I had forgotten they had no football. I mentioned them because they are in a good location and I believe are good academically.

CubbieBum
5-Time All-Star

Postby CubbieBum » Sat Dec 12, 2009 1:23 am

dew wrote:
CubbieBum wrote:http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/news/story?id=4735336

Pitt/Penn State every year (or at least most years) would be fun to watch.

Exactly. They also play similar styles in the big sports. They play physical hard nosed basketball and football and are very good at both. It would be a big coo for the Big Ten to take over the Pittsburgh market.

Flames24Rulz
Hall of Fame

Postby Flames24Rulz » Sat Dec 12, 2009 1:50 am

Transmogrified Tiger wrote:Pitt probably makes the most sense. Not sure how they are academically, but they have to be better than Cincy. As a Mizzou guy who grew up in Big 10 territory it's a fun idea to think about, but I don't think it would happen.

I still think that school that OMC mentions as being the best option.

Andy
Hall of Fame

Postby Andy » Sat Dec 12, 2009 3:18 am

Flames24Rulz wrote:
Transmogrified Tiger wrote:Pitt probably makes the most sense. Not sure how they are academically, but they have to be better than Cincy. As a Mizzou guy who grew up in Big 10 territory it's a fun idea to think about, but I don't think it would happen.

They're in the Big East in all other sports. I really don't see that happening.

CubbieBum
5-Time All-Star

Postby CubbieBum » Sat Dec 12, 2009 3:56 am

Andy wrote:
Flames24Rulz wrote:

Like that is what is stopping them. If the Big Ten met their money demands ND would drop the Big East instantly.

Butterscup
Hall of Fame

Postby Butterscup » Sat Dec 12, 2009 4:57 am

I don't think it would happen, and I really hope it doesn't.

CubColtPacer
Superstar

Postby CubColtPacer » Sat Dec 12, 2009 8:18 am

Splitting the divisions would be tough, and that's especially true if the new member is part of the eastern half of the Big 10. If they put rivalries together they could end up seriously unbalancing the two divisions. Also it would mean going right back to playing four opponents only once in basketball. I still think it would be overall a good move with the right school but there are definitely challenges.

bukie
Superstar

Postby bukie » Sat Dec 12, 2009 8:41 am

Andy wrote:
Flames24Rulz wrote:

No matter which school they try to pick up, they'll be in the Big East or Big 12 in all other sports. That's not really a convincing argument against ND.

Really, ND makes the most sense on a geographical, academic and rivalry level, so it comes down to pride.

EDIT: And before anyone else makes some insane predictions, whichever school the Big Ten adds is going to have to be at or near current Big Ten academic standards. So, Cincy is not going to have a chance.
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was to convince the world he didn't exist.

CubbieBum
5-Time All-Star

Postby CubbieBum » Sat Dec 12, 2009 1:30 pm

CubColtPacer wrote:Splitting the divisions would be tough, and that's especially true if the new member is part of the eastern half of the Big 10. If they put rivalries together they could end up seriously unbalancing the two divisions. Also it would mean going right back to playing four opponents only once in basketball. I still think it would be overall a good move with the right school but there are definitely challenges.

I really don't like divisions. They are pointless in my mind. A stay over in our sports due to the old days when traveling wasn't as easy.

No matter how the Big Ten is set it will be controversial. Michigan and OSU shouldn't be in the same division in football but how can you separate them? IU and Purdue in the same division causes the same problem in basketball since both are historically the best in the Big Ten. If the team is out east I would say this would be the best breakdown.

West: Indiana, Illinois, Purdue, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa
East: Michigan, Michigan State, Ohio State, Penn State, Northwestern, (newcomer)

The West would be the better basketball conference, the East would be the better football conference. I'm obviously talking about historically. Deciding divisions based on who is good at this exact moment would be a mistake.

Andy
Hall of Fame

Postby Andy » Sat Dec 12, 2009 1:34 pm

You may not like divisions, but the Big Ten will need them if they want a championship game.

What do you call the conference then? I like "Big Tweleven".

CubbieBum
5-Time All-Star

Postby CubbieBum » Sat Dec 12, 2009 1:45 pm

Andy wrote:You may not like divisions, but the Big Ten will need them if they want a championship game.

I don't really care for a championship game to be honest but I realize that is the point to getting a twelve team.

The name obviously won't change but if it did I would be in favor of The Conference to Rule Them All.

Tim
Hall of Fame

Postby Tim » Sat Dec 12, 2009 3:05 pm

CubbieBum wrote:IU and Purdue in the same division causes the same problem in basketball since both are historically the best in the Big Ten.

I'd like to see Purdue justified as having a significantly better basketball history than every school in the b10 other than Indiana.
Spoiler: show

XZero77
Superstar

Postby XZero77 » Sat Dec 12, 2009 3:07 pm

Tim wrote:
CubbieBum wrote:IU and Purdue in the same division causes the same problem in basketball since both are historically the best in the Big Ten.

I'd like to see Purdue justified as having a significantly better basketball history than every school in the b10 other than Indiana.

Yeah, me too.

NewUserName
5-Time All-Star

Postby NewUserName » Sat Dec 12, 2009 3:33 pm

A couple of years ago I heard some discussion about Kentucky being a school they may target. Just throwing it out there, dont think it would happen.
“There are 2,000 verses of Scripture that call upon us to respond to the needs of the poor. And yet, I find that when Christians talked about values in this last election that was not on the agenda, that was not a concern. ”-Tony Campolo

TheVolCub08
Starter

Postby TheVolCub08 » Sat Dec 12, 2009 3:35 pm

CubbieBum wrote:
Andy wrote:You may not like divisions, but the Big Ten will need them if they want a championship game.

I don't really care for a championship game to be honest but I realize that is the point to getting a twelve team.

The name obviously won't change but if it did I would be in favor of The Conference to Rule Them All.

Probably fits to call it "The Not As Big Twelve".

cubsfan
Role Player

Postby cubsfan » Sat Dec 12, 2009 3:46 pm

Every Big Ten eam makes more in TV money than Notre Dame does.
If you don't love it, leave it. USA #1!

SouthSideRyan
is ELL

Postby SouthSideRyan » Sat Dec 12, 2009 4:06 pm

Pitt's good enough academically. Cincy, not so much.
Exile on Waveland wrote: IU smells like poop.

SouthSideRyan
is ELL

Postby SouthSideRyan » Sat Dec 12, 2009 4:15 pm

They are?

SouthSideRyan
is ELL

Postby SouthSideRyan » Sat Dec 12, 2009 4:21 pm

NewUserName wrote:A couple of years ago I heard some discussion about Kentucky being a school they may target. Just throwing it out there, dont think it would happen.

I don't think Kentucky would be welcome

Return to “Other Sports”