CubinNY
Hall of Fame

Game Off (MLB suspended indefinitely)

Postby CubinNY » Thu Mar 12, 2020 6:14 pm

Sucks.
0 x

UMFan83
Inner-Circle HOF

Re: Game Off (MLB suspended indefinitely)

Postby UMFan83 » Thu Mar 12, 2020 6:14 pm

PTR is not going to like this
0 x
Win it for Fred

JudasIscariotTheBird
5-Time All-Star

Postby JudasIscariotTheBird » Thu Mar 12, 2020 6:16 pm

Since I was least excited about this season than any other in the past, oh, 8 years, I'm not too broken up about it. Maybe the cost cutting measures were just galaxy-brained, amazing foresight.
0 x
"None of these signal alarm bells to me"-Boris
"Sublime was driven by their frontman, who was, quite probably, a musical savant." -RIP Stannis
(Formerly Diceman4221)

WrigleyField 22
Superstar

Postby WrigleyField 22 » Thu Mar 12, 2020 6:17 pm

Now I REALLY won't be able to watch Cubs games.
1 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Thu Mar 12, 2020 6:57 pm

2021 Theo: "Well, we didn't get a chance to see what the 2020 team could do, which was still really just the 2019 team, and the Ricketts lost some couch change thanks to the market upheaval, so that's why we've spent -$96,000,000 for 2021!"
0 x
► Show Spoiler

Bertz
All-Star

Postby Bertz » Thu Mar 12, 2020 7:19 pm

At least two weeks, so April 9th at the earliest
0 x

Bertz
All-Star

Postby Bertz » Thu Mar 12, 2020 11:13 pm

0 x

17 Seconds
Hall of Fame

Postby 17 Seconds » Fri Mar 13, 2020 1:26 am

isn't may optimistic?
0 x

JudasIscariotTheBird
5-Time All-Star

Postby JudasIscariotTheBird » Fri Mar 13, 2020 1:40 am

17 Seconds wrote:isn't may optimistic?

I think that's a pretty good question. The cat is out of the bag and the spread can't be completely stopped, and there is a tipping point where economic catastrophe (you know, famine and the like) is as bad as stemming the spread. Keeping the hospitals from being overrun is priority 1 now, but I don't think many people should pretend to know when/where that tipping point is.
0 x
"None of these signal alarm bells to me"-Boris
"Sublime was driven by their frontman, who was, quite probably, a musical savant." -RIP Stannis
(Formerly Diceman4221)

soccer10k
Hall of Fame

Postby soccer10k » Fri Mar 13, 2020 2:02 am

17 Seconds wrote:isn't may optimistic?

I’m assuming they just mean that’s the earliest they would hold games. In a month when this likely hasn’t gone away, I’m assuming they’ll postpone further.
0 x
In Theo we trust.

Forgotmyoldlogin
Starter

Postby Forgotmyoldlogin » Fri Mar 13, 2020 2:38 am

If the Rickettses want to gain some good will they could announce they plan to pay their hourly employees.
0 x

squally1313
All-Star

Postby squally1313 » Fri Mar 13, 2020 1:36 pm

I wonder how close we are to the whole season getting canceled. This thing isn't just going to go away, all those charts about flattening the curve show that slowing it down extends it. Who steps up first and decides to go back to business as usual? And even then, do they restart spring training? Pitchers can't just show up and take the mound. I assume there are throwing programs, but it's impossible to ramp up to an undefined start date.
0 x

Named After Maddux
Role Player

Postby Named After Maddux » Fri Mar 13, 2020 1:42 pm

Forgotmyoldlogin wrote:If the Rickettses want to gain some good will they could announce they plan to pay their hourly employees.

And their minor league players. Theo mentioned finding them meals and that’s great, but what about a salary/per diem?
0 x

Regular Show
All-Star

Postby Regular Show » Fri Mar 13, 2020 1:53 pm

squally1313 wrote:I wonder how close we are to the whole season getting canceled. This thing isn't just going to go away, all those charts about flattening the curve show that slowing it down extends it. Who steps up first and decides to go back to business as usual? And even then, do they restart spring training? Pitchers can't just show up and take the mound. I assume there are throwing programs, but it's impossible to ramp up to an undefined start date.

We aren't anywhere close to cancelling the full season. We're definitely going to have an abbreviated season (maybe ~120 games?) in MLB. The NBA season might be over and they go straight into the playoffs when they resume playing.

I'm positive Rob Manfred will wait as long as possible before cancelling an entire MLB season.
0 x
"It was met with, basically, he didn't want to talk about that. He didn't want me to tell him that. I just basically said, 'Well that's why we want an electronic strike zone.'" -- Ben Zobrist

squally1313
All-Star

Postby squally1313 » Fri Mar 13, 2020 2:03 pm

Regular Show wrote:
squally1313 wrote:I wonder how close we are to the whole season getting canceled. This thing isn't just going to go away, all those charts about flattening the curve show that slowing it down extends it. Who steps up first and decides to go back to business as usual? And even then, do they restart spring training? Pitchers can't just show up and take the mound. I assume there are throwing programs, but it's impossible to ramp up to an undefined start date.

We aren't anywhere close to cancelling the full season. We're definitely going to have an abbreviated season (maybe ~120 games?) in MLB. The NBA season might be over and they go straight into the playoffs when they resume playing.

I'm positive Rob Manfred will wait as long as possible before cancelling an entire MLB season.

I think I need to see public knowledge of how this hopefully works get better before I agree. People are going to see the numbers exploding and are going to freak out. Games were canceled when there were 1300 cases...in a couple weeks, optimistically, there's going to be tens, maybe hundreds of thousands. Ideally the curve flattens, but I don't know how you message going back to large group gatherings when the numbers get up to that point.
0 x

Regular Show
All-Star

Postby Regular Show » Fri Mar 13, 2020 2:18 pm

squally1313 wrote:
Regular Show wrote:

I think I need to see public knowledge of how this hopefully works get better before I agree. People are going to see the numbers exploding and are going to freak out. Games were canceled when there were 1300 cases...in a couple weeks, optimistically, there's going to be tens, maybe hundreds of thousands. Ideally the curve flattens, but I don't know how you message going back to large group gatherings when the numbers get up to that point.

Going back to big crowds again may be a problem...

They can always play in empty stadiums and use that as a last resort option or contingency. People would still be able to watch the games on TV or over the internet. That's a far more palatable option over cancelling an entire season for owners, the players and MLB.
0 x
"It was met with, basically, he didn't want to talk about that. He didn't want me to tell him that. I just basically said, 'Well that's why we want an electronic strike zone.'" -- Ben Zobrist

Old Style
5-Time All-Star

Postby Old Style » Fri Mar 13, 2020 3:24 pm

CAR!
0 x
"I'm sorry, folks outside of SEC country, but a few facts are incontrovertible. They smoke better barbecue than you. Their women are prettier than your women. They play football better than your schools play football." - Andy Staples, SI

WrigleyField 22
Superstar

Postby WrigleyField 22 » Fri Mar 13, 2020 4:31 pm

Regular Show wrote:

What would be weird about a shortened season is the possible scheduling disparities as far as SoS. Probably not as big of a deal in NBA where so many teams make the POs anyways and winning your division gives pretty modest advantages. Much bigger deal in MLB where the WCs are at a severe disadvantage.

Rescheduling the entire season would seem like a nightmare, but the longer this goes, at least the more feasible it becomes that they could just reschedule everything in a shortened format (less games and more time to coordinate)
0 x

Regular Show
All-Star

Postby Regular Show » Fri Mar 13, 2020 5:13 pm

WrigleyField 22 wrote:
Regular Show wrote:

What would be weird about a shortened season is the possible scheduling disparities as far as SoS. Probably not as big of a deal in NBA where so many teams make the POs anyways and winning your division gives pretty modest advantages. Much bigger deal in MLB where the WCs are at a severe disadvantage.

Rescheduling the entire season would seem like a nightmare, but the longer this goes, at least the more feasible it becomes that they could just reschedule everything in a shortened format (less games and more time to coordinate)

I haven't really given it that much thought (rescheduling the season), but it could definitely pose some problems.

Some writer or baseball pundit said the thought of a baseball season being under 130 games was repulsive (or something like that). He was saying or arguing that's what makes baseball so unique from the other sports.

I would prefer the regular season being slightly shorter with more off days, but so many other things need to be fixed first in MLB.

Another problem is players needing almost another spring or maybe summer training(?) before the season starts to properly ramp up for real games. Pitchers especially after so much time off.
0 x

Regular Show
All-Star

Postby Regular Show » Sat Mar 14, 2020 12:42 pm

0 x

Omar
Superstar

Postby Omar » Thu Mar 19, 2020 12:48 am

1 x
┌( ◔_◔)┘

The Logan
Superstar

Postby The Logan » Fri Mar 20, 2020 4:37 pm

I really dislike parody songs like that, but I'll give credit where it's due, the lyrics work really well with that stupid song.
0 x

Bertz
All-Star

Postby Bertz » Fri Mar 20, 2020 7:57 pm

The Logan wrote:I really dislike parody songs like that, but I'll give credit where it's due, the lyrics work really well with that stupid song.

1 x

gflore34
All-Star

Postby gflore34 » Mon Mar 23, 2020 4:47 pm

Gov. Whitmer announced Michigan to stay home until April 13th, other States are following or have followed suit, think we have to prepare ourselves for the very real possibility the MLB season is done. If anything, we might have a super small sized version of the season. Should this be the case, Fall sports are to be impacted in a big way.
0 x

Andy
Hall of Fame

Postby Andy » Mon Mar 23, 2020 4:52 pm

gflore34 wrote:Gov. Whitmer announced Michigan to stay home until April 13th, other States are following or have followed suit, think we have to prepare ourselves for the very real possibility the MLB season is done. If anything, we might have a super small sized version of the season. Should this be the case, Fall sports are to be impacted in a big way.

80 or so games starting in July is probably a best-case scenario right now.
0 x
TBS Playoffs Insider wrote:ITS THE THUGGISH RUGGISH BONE FOR GODS SAKES

Return to “Cubs Discussions”