North Side Baseball - Home Page

The place for discussion about the Chicago Cubs
It is currently Sat Nov 22, 2014 10:21 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours





Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Pitching Tidbits
PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 7:13 am 
Offline
Superstar

Joined: Wed Jun 07, 2006 1:08 pm
Posts: 13397
Several little things that have come through over the last couple days:

Marshall is now listed as the primary 8th inning guy. Grabow will also get some 8th inning work. Caridad will get some chances to prove himself.

From Lou:

Quote:
I look at Marshall now as our eighth-inning guy....You get them out left-handed, right-handed, it doesn't matter as long as you get them out."


From Hendry:

Quote:
"I don't worry about right or left," Hendry said Tuesday. "Grabow, for most of his career, has gotten righties out more than lefties. Marshall's been terrific. People aren't giving him enough credit. We label people in this role and that role.

"We'd certainly like to have another reliever who can pitch," Hendry said. "[Esmailin] Caridad will get more chances."


Is that the first time we've seen Cubs management say that Grabow has reverse splits?

The Cubs also explained more of their thinking behind Z to the bullpen. Apparently they were a little concerned about his velocity dropping and figured moving to the bullpen would improve his fastball velocity like it does for many. It didn't improve the velocity at all which is why they are pulling the plug so quickly on it.

As for who is going to the bullpen when Z returns, I honestly have no idea. Lou had quotes of why they didn't move Dempster or Wells. Hendry says that they felt Silva and Gorzelanny are not fit for bullpen duty. So it could be anybody.


Top
 Profile  
 
 
google adsense
Post details
 Post subject: Re: Pitching Tidbits
PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 7:56 am 
Offline
All-Star

Joined: Fri Jun 13, 2003 8:42 am
Posts: 4949
It is maddening to watch Caridad come into the game last night and walk the first guy he faces on 4 pitches. Lou must be pulling his hair out with this kid. He was so good at the end of last season and now he can't find the zone. I agree with Lou though, he needs to pitch his way through this so keep throwing him out there.

(just not in close games)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Pitching Tidbits
PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 7:57 am 
Offline
All-Star

Joined: Fri Jun 13, 2003 8:42 am
Posts: 4949
CubColtPacer wrote:
Several little things that have come through over the last couple days:

Marshall is now listed as the primary 8th inning guy. Grabow will also get some 8th inning work. Caridad will get some chances to prove himself.

From Lou:

Quote:
I look at Marshall now as our eighth-inning guy....You get them out left-handed, right-handed, it doesn't matter as long as you get them out."


From Hendry:

Quote:
"I don't worry about right or left," Hendry said Tuesday. "Grabow, for most of his career, has gotten righties out more than lefties. Marshall's been terrific. People aren't giving him enough credit. We label people in this role and that role.

"We'd certainly like to have another reliever who can pitch," Hendry said. "[Esmailin] Caridad will get more chances."


Is that the first time we've seen Cubs management say that Grabow has reverse splits?

The Cubs also explained more of their thinking behind Z to the bullpen. Apparently they were a little concerned about his velocity dropping and figured moving to the bullpen would improve his fastball velocity like it does for many. It didn't improve the velocity at all which is why they are pulling the plug so quickly on it.

As for who is going to the bullpen when Z returns, I honestly have no idea. Lou had quotes of why they didn't move Dempster or Wells. Hendry says that they felt Silva and Gorzelanny are not fit for bullpen duty. So it could be anybody.

I could see someone being traded before the deadline.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Pitching Tidbits
PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 8:50 am 
Offline
Hall of Fame

Joined: Fri Aug 08, 2003 6:14 pm
Posts: 20501
Location: Tennessee
I haven't checked on his stats this year in the minors, but I really wish they'd give Jeff Stevens a shot soon. I like Caridad, but I think Stevens is our best option currently after Marmol/Marshall.

_________________
Society in every state is a blessing, but government, even in its best state, is a necessary evil; in its worst state, an intolerable one.
-Thomas Paine

To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them.
-George Mason


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Pitching Tidbits
PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 8:54 am 
Offline
5-Time All-Star

Joined: Fri Aug 15, 2003 7:08 am
Posts: 5411
Location: Indy
dew wrote:
I haven't checked on his stats this year in the minors, but I really wish they'd give Jeff Stevens a shot soon. I like Caridad, but I think Stevens is our best option currently after Marmol/Marshall.

If I remember right (I may not), he's given up several walks. That might be why they haven't called him up.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Pitching Tidbits
PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 8:57 am 
Offline
Hall of Fame

Joined: Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:38 pm
Posts: 43703
CubColtPacer wrote:
The Cubs also explained more of their thinking behind Z to the bullpen. Apparently they were a little concerned about his velocity dropping and figured moving to the bullpen would improve his fastball velocity like it does for many. It didn't improve the velocity at all which is why they are pulling the plug so quickly on it.


Which just makes it more maddening. Why is priority number 1 raising Zambrano's velocity? If that's your goal then go ahead and move every starter to the bullpen.

That's just half assed reasoning to excuse an extremely dumb decision that management refuses to accept blame on.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Pitching Tidbits
PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 9:54 am 
Offline
Superstar

Joined: Wed Mar 03, 2004 11:33 pm
Posts: 15933
Location: Abingdon IL
Caridad needs to go to AAA and regain his control, because he cant find the plate at all this year.

Its funny hearing Hendry say, "we dont care about right or left". Hahahaha yea sure you don't Jimbo


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Pitching Tidbits
PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 9:59 am 
Online
Hall of Fame
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 03, 2003 10:23 am
Posts: 45180
Location: Greater Chicagoland
If we're going to have relievers that walk people, please bring up Gaub and Parker so they'll at least strike guys out too.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Pitching Tidbits
PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 10:02 am 
Offline
Hall of Fame

Joined: Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:38 pm
Posts: 43703
Keener98 wrote:
Caridad needs to go to AAA and regain his control, because he cant find the plate at all this year.

Its funny hearing Hendry say, "we dont care about right or left". Hahahaha yea sure you don't Jimbo


It's possible they don't. Sure that's been a huge focus in the past, but they've also been known to switch focuses rather quickly and even contradict previous obsessions.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Pitching Tidbits
PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 10:05 am 
Offline
Superstar

Joined: Wed Mar 03, 2004 11:33 pm
Posts: 15933
Location: Abingdon IL
jersey cubs fan wrote:
Keener98 wrote:
Caridad needs to go to AAA and regain his control, because he cant find the plate at all this year.

Its funny hearing Hendry say, "we dont care about right or left". Hahahaha yea sure you don't Jimbo


It's possible they don't. Sure that's been a huge focus in the past, but they've also been known to switch focuses rather quickly and even contradict previous obsessions.


Oh its possible they don't now, but after the offseason of get more left handed, I just find it comical that they have completely went away from something that was such a "big problem".


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Pitching Tidbits
PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 10:16 am 
Offline
Hall of Fame

Joined: Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:38 pm
Posts: 43703
Keener98 wrote:
jersey cubs fan wrote:
Keener98 wrote:
Caridad needs to go to AAA and regain his control, because he cant find the plate at all this year.

Its funny hearing Hendry say, "we dont care about right or left". Hahahaha yea sure you don't Jimbo


It's possible they don't. Sure that's been a huge focus in the past, but they've also been known to switch focuses rather quickly and even contradict previous obsessions.


Oh its possible they don't now, but after the offseason of get more left handed, I just find it comical that they have completely went away from something that was such a "big problem".


That was the 2008/2009 offseason, this offseason the focus was chemistry and middle of the order guy.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Pitching Tidbits
PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 10:34 am 
Offline
All-Star

Joined: Tue Jan 25, 2005 3:12 pm
Posts: 1138
Location: Memphis, Tn
While we're making roster moves, can we please bring Chad Tracy back up? There's really no point in keeping Baker since he's no longer part of a platoon and Nady is the 1st righty off the bench.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Pitching Tidbits
PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 10:40 am 
Offline
Superstar
User avatar

Joined: Fri Feb 25, 2005 6:59 am
Posts: 15983
Location: Rochester, NY
nick23 wrote:
While we're making roster moves, can we please bring Chad Tracy back up? There's really no point in keeping Baker since he's no longer part of a platoon and Nady is the 1st righty off the bench.


I would rather have Baker vs. a RHP than Tracy vs. anyone.

_________________
Rondon Fan wrote:
I'm out. Hopefully I'll get the alert in the morning that the Cubs won on Javy's 12th inning homer.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Pitching Tidbits
PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 10:47 am 
Offline
All-Star

Joined: Tue Jan 25, 2005 3:12 pm
Posts: 1138
Location: Memphis, Tn
Aramis Fan wrote:
nick23 wrote:
While we're making roster moves, can we please bring Chad Tracy back up? There's really no point in keeping Baker since he's no longer part of a platoon and Nady is the 1st righty off the bench.


I would rather have Baker vs. a RHP than Tracy vs. anyone.

I'd rather have the guy that doesn't make an out 70% of the time.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Pitching Tidbits
PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 10:48 am 
Offline
Hall of Fame

Joined: Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:38 pm
Posts: 43703
nick23 wrote:
While we're making roster moves, can we please bring Chad Tracy back up? There's really no point in keeping Baker since he's no longer part of a platoon and Nady is the 1st righty off the bench.


What would be the point of Tracy? They already have Colvin and Fontenot as lefties off the bench for most games, plus Fukudome in any game Nady starts. At least Baker does something, hit lefties. Tracy brings nothing to the table.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Pitching Tidbits
PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 10:50 am 
Offline
Hall of Fame

Joined: Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:38 pm
Posts: 43703
nick23 wrote:
Aramis Fan wrote:
nick23 wrote:
While we're making roster moves, can we please bring Chad Tracy back up? There's really no point in keeping Baker since he's no longer part of a platoon and Nady is the 1st righty off the bench.


I would rather have Baker vs. a RHP than Tracy vs. anyone.

I'd rather have the guy that doesn't make an out 70% of the time.


Baker against lefties - .313 .389 .594


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Pitching Tidbits
PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 10:52 am 
Offline
All-Star

Joined: Tue Jan 25, 2005 3:12 pm
Posts: 1138
Location: Memphis, Tn
jersey cubs fan wrote:
nick23 wrote:
Aramis Fan wrote:
nick23 wrote:
While we're making roster moves, can we please bring Chad Tracy back up? There's really no point in keeping Baker since he's no longer part of a platoon and Nady is the 1st righty off the bench.


I would rather have Baker vs. a RHP than Tracy vs. anyone.

I'd rather have the guy that doesn't make an out 70% of the time.


Baker against lefties - .313 .389 .594

Read his post again.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Pitching Tidbits
PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 11:00 am 
Offline
5-Time All-Star
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2005 7:17 pm
Posts: 6278
Location: Heavenston
As much as we complain, I find it hard to believe that Hendry doesn't know that Grabow is better vs. RHB... the guy used to be a scout.

_________________
During a "Not For Women Only" panel discussion, former Cubs pitcher Mike Bielecki asked several players to invent a baseball catch phrase for Viagra. Theriot's ad campaign: "Viagra -- I always play hard."


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Pitching Tidbits
PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 11:00 am 
Offline
Hall of Fame

Joined: Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:38 pm
Posts: 43703
nick23 wrote:
jersey cubs fan wrote:
nick23 wrote:
Aramis Fan wrote:
nick23 wrote:
While we're making roster moves, can we please bring Chad Tracy back up? There's really no point in keeping Baker since he's no longer part of a platoon and Nady is the 1st righty off the bench.


I would rather have Baker vs. a RHP than Tracy vs. anyone.

I'd rather have the guy that doesn't make an out 70% of the time.


Baker against lefties - .313 .389 .594

Read his post again.

Some people's post don't show up on my screen.
I'm responding to you wanting Tracy. Why? Take the guy who does something good if you can.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Pitching Tidbits
PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 11:06 am 
Offline
All-Star

Joined: Tue Jan 25, 2005 3:12 pm
Posts: 1138
Location: Memphis, Tn
Baker is just redundant. He's likely never going to start a game at 2nd again this year so the only at bats he'll get will be at 3rd when Aramis needa a day off. I'd rather sub Aramis with a Tracy against a righty since Tracy has proven in the past to hit rhp fairly well.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Pitching Tidbits
PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 11:09 am 
Offline
Inner-Circle HOF
User avatar

Joined: Sun Dec 28, 2003 6:07 pm
Posts: 59127
Location: Algonquin, IL
Aramis Fan wrote:
nick23 wrote:
While we're making roster moves, can we please bring Chad Tracy back up? There's really no point in keeping Baker since he's no longer part of a platoon and Nady is the 1st righty off the bench.


I would rather have Baker vs. a RHP than Tracy vs. anyone.


Why?

Code:
vs Right           AB    R    H   2b   3b   HR  RBI   BB   SO     BA    OBP    SLG    OPS  BABIP  P/PA     RC   IsoD   RBI%
Baker              25    3    3    1    0    1    2    1    9  0.120  0.154  0.280  0.434  0.133  3.81    1.1  0.034  0.063


Code:
All pitchers       AB    R    H   2b   3b   HR  RBI   BB   SO     BA    OBP    SLG    OPS  BABIP  P/PA     RC   IsoD   RBI%
Tracy              22    3    6    1    0    0    2    2    6  0.273  0.333  0.318  0.652  0.375  3.92    2.3  0.061  0.154


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Pitching Tidbits
PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 11:10 am 
Offline
Hall of Fame

Joined: Fri Aug 08, 2003 6:14 pm
Posts: 20501
Location: Tennessee
nick23 wrote:
Aramis Fan wrote:
nick23 wrote:
While we're making roster moves, can we please bring Chad Tracy back up? There's really no point in keeping Baker since he's no longer part of a platoon and Nady is the 1st righty off the bench.


I would rather have Baker vs. a RHP than Tracy vs. anyone.

I'd rather have the guy that doesn't make an out 70% of the time.


Tracy is definitely better than Baker against righties, but he only has a .714 OPS this year against them. Baker against lefties has a .986 OPS. Even considering the small sample sizes, Baker provides more upside than Tracy does unless Tracy improves dramatically.

_________________
Society in every state is a blessing, but government, even in its best state, is a necessary evil; in its worst state, an intolerable one.
-Thomas Paine

To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them.
-George Mason


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Pitching Tidbits
PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 11:14 am 
Offline
5-Time All-Star
User avatar

Joined: Tue Apr 22, 2003 2:49 am
Posts: 5667
Location: Brussels, Belgium
Keener98 wrote:
Caridad needs to go to AAA and regain his control, because he cant find the plate at all this year.


Agreed, especially since he has options left, so there's no reason to keep him around any longer in his present state.

_________________
Sometimes I sits and thinks, and sometimes I just sits. - Satchel Paige.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Pitching Tidbits
PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 11:34 am 
Offline
Hall of Fame

Joined: Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:38 pm
Posts: 43703
nick23 wrote:
Baker is just redundant. He's likely never going to start a game at 2nd again this year so the only at bats he'll get will be at 3rd when Aramis needa a day off. I'd rather sub Aramis with a Tracy against a righty since Tracy has proven in the past to hit rhp fairly well.


Baker may be redundant, but Tracy is completely useless.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Pitching Tidbits
PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 11:38 am 
Offline
Superstar

Joined: Wed Jun 07, 2006 1:08 pm
Posts: 13397
nick23 wrote:
Baker is just redundant. He's likely never going to start a game at 2nd again this year so the only at bats he'll get will be at 3rd when Aramis needa a day off. I'd rather sub Aramis with a Tracy against a righty since Tracy has proven in the past to hit rhp fairly well.


Baker will get more pinch-hit at-bats though. He's the only right-handed player off the bench when the Cubs face a left-handed starter (except for Hill who doesn't really count in a pinch hitting discussion). Baker can also play all over the field which gives Lou more options to work around with his other players.

The Cubs also have more left-handed players that need to be replaced with a right-hander for certain at-bats against LOOGY's, so it's good to have 2 good right-handed bats on the bench. 3 left-handed bats on the bench is pretty redundant because the only player that needs to be substituted for if a right-hander on the mound is Baker. Since Tracy is the 3rd of those left-handed batters, it's unlikely the pitcher's spot is going to come up 3 times and need pinch-hitters.

So yes, Tracy is likely a slightly better backup to Aramis, but Baker beats him in every other area.

Not to mention the fact that Tracy is already down in Iowa. If the Cubs need him in case of an Aramis injury, he can be called back up. If Baker leaves, the Cubs might not be able to keep him. And if Theriot or Castro gets hurt, the Cubs will want Baker as an option.


Top
 Profile  
 
 
google adsense
Post details
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC - 6 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: BleacherBadger and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group